The Student Room Group

AEA exam, can't find thread with book recommendation.

Hey, I need help with something. I have been trying for the last week or so to find an old/earlier thread which recommended a book for the AEA exam and I had come across it and the information, and I have not been able to find it still.

The book was from the 1980s/90s, had two authors (it/the authors were labelled as/like 'A and B' , I think it was their surnames) and was labelled either P4 or P5/P6 or something similar along those lines. I had found it earlier on amazon and had bookmarked the thread and was going to write the name down and make a note of it, but I didn't. I have lost those bookmarks:frown:.

I'm sorry if I'm being vague, but I know the value of using these older books, and I really need to know the books name. Any help will be much appreciated.
Original post by bomberdoom
Hey, I need help with something. I have been trying for the last week or so to find an old/earlier thread which recommended a book for the AEA exam and I had come across it and the information, and I have not been able to find it still.

The book was from the 1980s/90s, had two authors (it/the authors were labelled as/like 'A and B' , I think it was their surnames) and was labelled either P4 or P5/P6 or something similar along those lines. I had found it earlier on amazon and had bookmarked the thread and was going to write the name down and make a note of it, but I didn't. I have lost those bookmarks:frown:.

I'm sorry if I'm being vague, but I know the value of using these older books, and I really need to know the books name. Any help will be much appreciated.

Are you referring to this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Core-Course-Level-Bostock/dp/0859503062

Actually I don't think it's neccessary to use any books to prepare for the exams. All the past AEA papers and the compilation of old S level questions will be enough.
Reply 2
Oh yes, thank you for replying:adore:. The one recommended was this one though.
Do you have any idea if the one you stated comprises of Pure Mathematics 1 Volume 1 and Pure Mathematics 2 Volume 2? Are these 3 books entirely different, content wise and/or syllabus wise? I have another 2003 book, I really like these books compared to the glossy specification books.
You're quite right about practising questions, but it's onyl a couple of pounds used, and I'm thinking I'll just buy them and go through them.
Reply 3
There is minimal difference.
You may also look at the two volumes of pure mathematics by backhouse et al
Original post by bomberdoom

P4, P5 and P6 are the names of old syllabus Further Maths modules that roughly correspond to FP1 FP2 and FP3. The AEA syllabus is C1 - C4 (old P1 - P3).

You don't need to know any more theory. AEA differs in the style of question, so practising past papers is the best way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending