The Student Room Group

Official 2012 Biochemistry Applicants*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mistysolitude
i'm another potential biochemistry applicant wondering where to apply.
predicted 5As at AS in chemistry, maths, further maths, biology and archaeology. dropping archaeology and currently predicted A*A*A*A at A2
any reccomendations?

Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Sheffield and York are probably the best for biochem. Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge is also a good option.
Reply 361
Original post by mistysolitude
i'm another potential biochemistry applicant wondering where to apply.
predicted 5As at AS in chemistry, maths, further maths, biology and archaeology. dropping archaeology and currently predicted A*A*A*A at A2
any reccomendations?

Bristol is also worth a look.
Original post by Plankey
Bristol is also worth a look.

Sorry, Bristol slipped my mind.
Reply 363
I'm intrigued - no love for Cardiff! But Cardiff Biochemistry has two Nobel Prize winners on its staff, which is more than any other UK university to the best of my knowledge.
Reply 364
Original post by Starrrz
Hey, I'm looking for some helpful advice.
I'm still undecided about my choices for September, I'm trying to choose between
Biological Sciences at Leeds (offer ABB)
Biochemistry at Nottingham (ABB)
or Biochemistry at Exeter (BBB)
Thankfully I have until the 7th of June to decide. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
x

How did you manage to get an offer of BBB for Exeter?

Ide firm either Nottingham or Leeds depending on which you liked more when visiting, and defiantly insure Exeter.

Leeds is bigger then Nottingham if you care about size, and i think Nottingham generally has a better reputation.

I read on push.co.uk that Exeter is just full of rich kids who didnt get into an Oxbridge university, not sure if its true or not.
Anyone know what the average grades are for a biochemistry student at Sheffield?
Reply 366
Original post by dmccririck
Anyone know what the average grades are for a biochemistry student at Sheffield?

Not sure what the average grades are but when I went to the interview last year they told everyone that their offers will definitely be AAB.
Reply 367
-Firm,AAB-Manchester
-Insurance,ABB-Glasgow

Really wanting to go to Manchester after the interview day thing , whats Manchester like if you missed your ofer by a grade?
Original post by Bodmas
I'm intrigued - no love for Cardiff! But Cardiff Biochemistry has two Nobel Prize winners on its staff, which is more than any other UK university to the best of my knowledge.

What did they win their Nobel Prizes for?
Reply 369
What did they win their Nobel Prizes for?

Errr ... Biochemistry (well, okay, pedantically speaking, the Nobel Prizes for Medicine and Chemistry, but they were for biochemical research) - Sir Martin Evans (stem cell research) and Prof Robert Huber.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Starrrz
Hey, I'm looking for some helpful advice.
I'm still undecided about my choices for September, I'm trying to choose between
Biological Sciences at Leeds (offer ABB)
Biochemistry at Nottingham (ABB)
or Biochemistry at Exeter (BBB)
Thankfully I have until the 7th of June to decide. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
x

Hi just wondering if your Nottingham grade was for the c700? I have an AAB offer for them, and am not sure I'm going to get it!
Reply 371
Original post by Saphire_93
Hi just wondering if your Nottingham grade was for the c700? I have an AAB offer for them, and am not sure I'm going to get it!

My friend has an offer of BBB for nottingham so they should be lenient
Original post by jwells
My friend has an offer of BBB for nottingham so they should be lenient

Hopefully! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Simmsy
Biochemistry or Medical Biochemistry?

Medical Biochemistry. In the end I accepted an offer for the same subject at Royal Holloway, same grades. Leicester is my back up though :smile:
Original post by Valentas
Is it worth to apply to Leicester? :smile: and how about Edinburgh?

Definitely never knew TSR told you you had replies! My bad. Leicester is a good uni and definitely worth applying for, although in the end I firmed my offer for Medical Biochemistry at Royal Holloway - the course is flexible so you can pick your own modules :smile:. I've never looked at Edinburgh, I live in Winchester so it's miiiiiiiiiiles away! What did you go for in the end?
I've applied to Oxford (Hertford), York, Bath, Bristol and Nottingham for Biochemistry

GCSEs: 11A*s 1A
AS: AAAA (Bio, Chem, Maths, French)
Predictions: A*A*A*A (dropped French, picked up EPQ)

I had an offer from Bath on the 18th October of AAB inc. Chemistry :biggrin:
Has anyone heard from anywhere else yet?
Reply 376
Original post by Hannahspanner
I've applied to Oxford (Hertford), York, Bath, Bristol and Nottingham for Biochemistry

GCSEs: 11A*s 1A
AS: AAAA (Bio, Chem, Maths, French)
Predictions: A*A*A*A (dropped French, picked up EPQ)

I had an offer from Bath on the 18th October of AAB inc. Chemistry :biggrin:
Has anyone heard from anywhere else yet?

I think you want the 2013 thread, this is last year's one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending