The Student Room Group

virgin broadband and self installation

hi, im thinking of getting the 9 month student 30mb broadband for my student house, but since theres already internet cables in a couple of the rooms do i really need to pay for the installation? how hard is it to do it myself? also it comes up as £49.95 for the installation and not £40 thats mentioned on the student page bit, anyone know why, thanks :smile:
Is the setup fee not similar to an administration fee when you buy gig tickets online?
Reply 2
i have no idea :s-smilie:

if you mean the activation fee its £20 but if i order it online i dont have to pay for it

http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/students.html?buspart=IS_28

on here it says installation is £40 but when i add the £28.50 into the basket it comes up as £49.95 one off payment? :confused:

anyway of knowing if my cables already installed are fibre optics?
(edited 12 years ago)
I think £49.95 is their standard fee - see here

I would give them a call

I've also just discovered that the 9 month month contract may actually be a 12 month contract that allows you to cancel after 9 months, but you have to give them 30 days notice (see the 3rd post here)

I'd also recommend signing up through Quidco to get some cash back :smile:

As for the fibre-optic cables, I don't think they will be currently as not many providers use fibre-optics to my knowledge, i think they just come down your phone line
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
eugenius, unless the line is already fully functional the Virgin tech will almost certainly have to go fiddle about in the street to get you running. He'll most likely have to put more cabling in, too.
Reply 5
Original post by eugenius 8

Original post by eugenius 8
hi, im thinking of getting the 9 month student 30mb broadband for my student house, but since theres already internet cables in a couple of the rooms do i really need to pay for the installation? how hard is it to do it myself? also it comes up as £49.95 for the installation and not £40 thats mentioned on the student page bit, anyone know why, thanks :smile:

I had Fibre Optics put in by Virgin and I can say they aren't the same as regular broadband. The person that came had to drill holes in the wall to run new optic cables to outside and then he used some wires I had never seen for internet. So to be honest you could install it yourself but unless you have an understanding of the wiring and electronics, I suggest you get someone to come install it :yes:
Reply 6
Original post by The Real Quaid
I think £49.95 is their standard fee - see here

I would give them a call

I've also just discovered that the 9 month month contract may actually be a 12 month contract that allows you to cancel after 9 months, but you have to give them 30 days notice (see the 3rd post here)

I'd also recommend signing up through Quidco to get some cash back :smile:

As for the fibre-optic cables, I don't think they will be currently as not many providers use fibre-optics to my knowledge, i think they just come down your phone line

Original post by DOAADI
eugenius, unless the line is already fully functional the Virgin tech will almost certainly have to go fiddle about in the street to get you running. He'll most likely have to put more cabling in, too.

Original post by Facticity
I had Fibre Optics put in by Virgin and I can say they aren't the same as regular broadband. The person that came had to drill holes in the wall to run new optic cables to outside and then he used some wires I had never seen for internet. So to be honest you could install it yourself but unless you have an understanding of the wiring and electronics, I suggest you get someone to come install it :yes:

in a couple of rooms theres like this box thing stuck into the walls with cables coming out :dontknow: and theres no phone line so i would have thought the previous tenants used virgin but im gona pop into the shop today and ask :smile:

yeah was thinking of using topcashback :wink: :biggrin:

cheers for the help guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending