The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How competitive is Manchester for physics?

Is it hard to get into Manchester for physics? the grade requirements are A*AA - AAA.

If I got an AAB at AS, and predicted grades AAA. Do I stand a chance of getting in?

(Studying Maths, physics and chemistry - the B is in chemistry)
Reply 1
I got AAB in my AS and was predicted AAA (same subjects too), and now I am here studying Physics :P, so I don't see why you should have a problem. It is getting harder every year. But I know when I went to the open day I was told unofficially that if I was predicted AAA I was almost certain to receive an offer.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by fozzy143
I got AAB in my AS and was predicted AAA (same subjects too), and now I am here studying Physics :P, so I don't see why you should have a problem. It is getting harder every year. But I know when I went to the open day I was told unofficially that if I was predicted AAA I was almost certain to receive an offer.

What year did you apply? Also what conditional offer did they give you (A*AA or was it just AAA?)
Reply 3
Well this is my first year so, last yearish? I can't really remember :P Maybe 2 years ago. And I got offered AAA
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere

Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Is it hard to get into Manchester for physics? the grade requirements are A*AA - AAA.

If I got an AAB at AS, and predicted grades AAA. Do I stand a chance of getting in?

(Studying Maths, physics and chemistry - the B is in chemistry)

I'm living with a couple of physicists now; apparently almost everyone on the course this year got at least 2 A* grades at A2, and this was the best qualified year group that they've had so far.

That, however, is not to say that you won't get in - just that you should have a couple of courses on your UCAS application that are less ambitious.
Reply 5
Those people are BSing :P, tho it is true we are a very overqualified group I would say the average is A*AA. Some people came with AAA and some with A*A*A*. Just go for it is what I would say.
Reply 6
Three of my friends applied for this last year (none of them actually went) but they all received offers with AS grades of aaaaa, Aac, abbb. It seems to be on predictions because they were all predicted AAA or higher. I would point out that 2 of my friends were predicted at least 1 A* and therefore got the A*AA offer, whereas the other was predicted AAA and got the AAA offer.

Hope this helps :smile:
Not very. I actually emailed them asking for admissions statistics and was told in 2011 they got around 1000 applications and made 900 offers.
I went to an open day yesterday and they said that all the offers they make for my year of entry is going to be A*AA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending