The Student Room Group

Help me *skinny pic*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hmm... Just from reading a few posts I think I might have stumbled across what could be causing some of my problems...

I don't eat protein. I mean, i do, but not very much... I hate eggs, i have milk on cereal only but i don't really eat cereal... I eat a little bit of cheese on pizza or whatever, not much though.. I only eat chicken/mince, I don't like beef/lamb/pork steaks/chop type things.

I think I eat quite alot of carbs though, potato rice pasta bread i eat alot of.

And i eat way too much of the wrong kind of fats :frown: I think i need more fruit and veg.

Oh yeah, this may be silly but can the amount you drink have anything to do with weight? I always get "told off" for not drinking enough, I'll take a small bottle of squash to school, and have a glass of lemonade/coke/squash again with my dinner... Not very much!
Reply 41
Original post by Roxas
hmm... Just from reading a few posts I think I might have stumbled across what could be causing some of my problems...

I don't eat protein. I mean, i do, but not very much... I hate eggs, i have milk on cereal only but i don't really eat cereal... I eat a little bit of cheese on pizza or whatever, not much though.. I only eat chicken/mince, I don't like beef/lamb/pork steaks/chop type things.

I think I eat quite alot of carbs though, potato rice pasta bread i eat alot of.

And i eat way too much of the wrong kind of fats :frown: I think i need more fruit and veg.

Oh yeah, this may be silly but can the amount you drink have anything to do with weight? I always get "told off" for not drinking enough, I'll take a small bottle of squash to school, and have a glass of lemonade/coke/squash again with my dinner... Not very much!

Basically you're eating like a little boy.

You need to start eating like a man. Lots of meat, lots of carbs, pasta etc....

Also, you need to drink more. Water (Squash is fine I suppose) and milk. Stay away from fizzy drinks because they fill you up and make you feel you're not hungry.
If you start drinking more water you'll probably have more appetite to eat more.
Original post by Roxas

You should have this. Tastes :sogood:

Original post by Roxas
Basically, i'm 18 and the most self conscious person in the world. I've had trouble with my weight since I can remember, and it's got to the stage where if i don't do something now, i think i'll go mad!

Alot of people on here seem very knowledgeable on the fitness subject, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Basically, I do near to no excercise currently, because quite frankly i'm embarassed. I can't do a single push-up i don't think.. I doubt I could run for more then 5 minutes, either..

Here is an attached picture of my icky body (sorry)

I'm 6ft 3 and just over 8 stone.

HELP!

By know means am I an expert here, but it would be wise to visit your GP. If you are eating healthily there could be other causes for your inability to gain/keep on weight, for example hyperthyroidism. Also if your body has reached the state where it is malnourished, if you are wanting to lift weights or exercise in other ways, it might be good to get a cardio check up, just as a precautionary measure.

Also I would recommend keeping a food diary each day. It will help you to assess your calorie consumption and the food groups you eat
(edited 12 years ago)
I used to be as skinny as you (My BMI was 14.9). I made myself eat till I felt physically sick at every meal, for about 6 months. That was 2 and a half years ago, I'm 38kg heavier and feel amazing.
Reply 45
Mate ignore all these phaggots giving you gip, they have never been there before.

You most likely have no underlying medical problems. I used to be 117lb (8 stone 6) because I ate nothing and like you lived a sedentary lifestyle.

Hit the food heavily, do not worry about healthy or unhealthy foodstuff. To get me out of your position I would eat 4 full meals a day, drink milk with every meal and on top of that hit fast food like McDonalds multiple times a week, 2-3 protein shakes a day combined with a solid routine and aiming to progress in weight or reps every workout you will shoot up in size if you provide the stimulus.

There are people like us who are just skinny prior to any stimulus. You will really have to push it hard to put on the weight but once you gain the weight it is hard to lose it, and your body's metabolism will adjust, your appetite will go up to hold onto the weight.

Don't worry if you can't lift much at first. I could barely bench 30kg flat when I started, fast forward to now and I can rep out 100kg incline.

You will have to put in graft though. You will have to monitor your diet to make sure you get in enough cals every day, but it is worth it in the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by FluxD
Mate ignore all these phaggots giving you gip, they have never been there before.

You most likely have no underlying medical problems. I used to be 117lb (8 stone 6) because I ate nothing and like you lived a sedentary lifestyle.

Hit the food heavily, do not worry about healthy or unhealthy foodstuff. To get me out of your position I would eat 4 full meals a day, drink milk with every meal and on top of that hit fast food like McDonalds multiple times a week, 2-3 protein shakes a day combined with a solid routine and aiming to progress in weight or reps every workout you will shoot up in size if you provide the stimulus.

There are people like us who are just skinny prior to any stimulus. You will really have to push it hard to put on the weight but once you gain the weight it is hard to lose it, and your body's metabolism will adjust, your appetite will go up to hold onto the weight.

Don't worry if you can't lift much at first. I could barely bench 30kg flat when I started, fast forward to now and I can rep out 100kg incline.

You will have to put in graft though. You will have to monitor your diet to make sure you get in enough cals every day, but it is worth it in the end.

Strong post here, OP.

Let's be positive. You have an empty canvas. Your body can be anything you want it to be with focused diet and exercise programs. Do some reading and enjoy doing the work! Good luck.
Reply 47
Original post by Roxas
the most self conscious person in the world

Then why are you posting topless pictures of yourself on a popular website?
Original post by tekkers90
6ft 3...and 8stone...

Mate, you shouldn't be on TSR, you should be in some home for anorexic people to get your life on track...

I'm not even being sarcastic...

**** ^
Reply 49
Original post by Roxas
Basically, i'm 18 and the most self conscious person in the world. I've had trouble with my weight since I can remember, and it's got to the stage where if i don't do something now, i think i'll go mad!

Alot of people on here seem very knowledgeable on the fitness subject, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Basically, I do near to no excercise currently, because quite frankly i'm embarassed. I can't do a single push-up i don't think.. I doubt I could run for more then 5 minutes, either..

HELP!

Spend a week compiling a list of what you eat, every calorie! Oh and go and see a doctor you may have an over active Thyroid Gland.
Reply 50
Do what FluxD says. Eat a **** load, drink a tonne of milk and get on a decent weight training routine.
Reply 51
I am 9 inches shorter than you with your weight and I get told I'm anorexic...
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Just to clarify:

Anorexia is a medical symptom referring to a lack of apetite. It has nothing to do with current weight.

Anorexia nervosa is a mental illness associated with low weight AND a delusional self-perception of body weight. Being underweight is not the same as being mentally ill.

I am well aware of this (personal experience), I was simply referring to the BMI part of anorexia diagnosis = BMI < 17.5.

<15 is considered emaciated.
Reply 53
OP, can you tell us exactly what you ate yesterday and if possible today? Be honest here, as these guys won't be able to help you if you aren't!

If you are really concerned, you could get an appointment with a dietitian or GP and go from there.

I was saying the same old stuff like "I eat loads" but then I actually went about adding up the calories per day, it wasn't as much as I thought it was. Start adding up the numbers and see what it comes out with. Most likely, it isn't as high as you think.
Original post by Roxas

HELP!

Eat.

Lift.

Sleep.

Starting strength as others have said.

Oh, and for those saying 'zomg! anorexiczzz!'. Anorexia is a mental disorder that has physical repurcussions. It isn't just about being really thin. Simply by posting this thread asking for weight gain tips proves OP is not anorexic. Underweight yes, unhealthy yes but not anorexic.
Original post by Roxas
I just weighed myself, just under 8.3 stone, which makes my BMI 14.40, which is only 4 away from 18 which is "normal"

I also am not anorexic because i don't see myself as fat, I don't limit how much I eat or whatever, and i eat alot of food.

I have a few "fat" friends, and i swear I eat twice as much as them it feels!

You don't eat a lot.

Write what you eat in a day, then we'll chat about eating a lot. :wink:
Reply 56
You need to also get a dietician, so they can sort out a food plan for you. And slowly you can put on weight. And be healthy at same time, by exercising and having healthy food.
I was in a similar position not so long ago. I always though I was eating a lot but in reality this was a delusion. I find it quite hard to ensure that I eat enough - I have a pretty hectic lifestyle: I am in London 5 days a week and at work over the weekend. This means I am barely at home.

I try to ensure that I have at least 3 decent meals a day and then snack in between. For example:

Breakfast:
Porridge or a large bowl of cereal if I am in a rush. I will usually have some fruit with this. If I have time I will have some toast as well.

Lunch:
If I happen to be home I will have something like scrambled egg, toast and beans. Sometimes I will have a few bacon sandwiches. If I am out I will have a few good sized sandwiches. Once or twice a week I will treat myself to a cooked lunch while out and about. There is a nice pub near my uni which serves great food at reasonable prices. I will usually have steak or similar.

At all times I will have a piece of fruit.

Dinner:
I am usually home for dinner. Usually have jacket potato filled with tuna and some cheese along with some beans. Other meals include sweet and sour chicken, pork chops, chicken casserole etc etc.

I make sure that I never miss any of my three main meals. Additionally I snack a lot. Always take a fruit box out with me, cereal bars, some nuts. Occasionally I will also have some chips or buy a subway. I love rice so I will usually cook some uncle bens microwave rice in the evening - it is nice with chutney and you could even cook up some chicken to have with it.

I only really drink water or fruit juice. If I am out I will have a coke or alcoholic drink. I drink lots of milk - I always have an ovaltine before bed.

Following this routine has made sure that I get at least three meals as well as snacks. I have slowly gained weight however my body shape has not really changed - I still look very slim. My mother is very slim as well as my sisters. My dad says he was slim until he got into his late 20s and he "ballooned."

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Aww don't fret dude :smile: You look fine, but for your health I think you should definitely aim to put on around 2 stone. Have you spoken to your GP?

Why do people always say in this forum 'you look fine'? He looks like he's just came out of Auschwitz.
Original post by Roxas
For the person who asked, today.. I ate

A slice of toast for breakfeast with peanut butter

A slice of pizza at break from the school canteen and a pack of crisps

A burger and chips for lunch from the canteen again

When i got home I had some chilli doritos and a flapjack

For dinner I had 2 fajitas and some potato wedges

That sounds quite good to me O_O

All you're doing is eating **** food, that doesn't mean you're eating enough. You have very little nutrition there, and quite frankly, you need to be eating a lot more (but of the good stuff).

Quick Reply

Latest