The Student Room Group

New Turing Omnibus?

(sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it)

I've seen this book on a lot of unis "preparatory reading lists" but I also see a lot of people saying that it's not very good in reviews :confused:

I was wondering if people thought it was a good book to get a bit of understanding of CompSci and if not, are there any books you would recommend? Thank you for your time :smile:
Reply 1
Anybody? :confused:
Reply 2
Jack of all trades. I didn't like it. "Introduction to Algorithms" and "Algorithms in C++" make good reading for non-programmers and C++ programmers respectively (although a lot of people say they're too advanced for prospective university students)- it's worth mentioning that most CS students don't learn from books however.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
This is probably too late, but I've read a fair few chapters of the new Turing Omnibus ... there's plenty that's understandable to people with a basic understanding of computing and infact on open days/applicant days you may find yourself being asked about/lectured about things which have chapters dedicated to them in the book. I definetly recommend it, but you will have to re-read certain chapters quite a bit to fully understand them
Reply 4
I have not read many CS books, and I've not started a CS course yet, but I found the topics really interesting, although it was very hard to follow (the wording could be much easier and the exercises require a lot of lateral thinking, although this might just be my lack of experience.)
Reply 5
A good and quite complex book covering many aspects of Computer Science. Overall I liked it, it introduced me to many topics which I wasn't familiar with before.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending