The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

Scroll to see replies

This really makes me want to apply for a study abroad programme. I'm just scared because of language barriers, I really wish I had paid more attention in French and German and secondary school, it would of really opened up my options!!
Original post by Tess11978
Hi there,

I am a lot older than you all. I have read up to page 5 and felt since some of you are so knowledgable you could help.

I am 33 and recently lost a job. I decided that rather than look for a new job, I would apply through Clearing for a course to start Sept 2012 but now I have been researching a bit, I think study abroad would be a better step forward in terms of character building, language skills and a cultural experience.

Is it possible to apply for a course at the Maastricht this late for Sept 2012?

I would need to visit the UK (home) very often and I also I have a little studio I pay rent on and it is not ideal for me to give it up.

Do you know if I would have any financial help to live in Maastricht during term time or would it be possible to commute given the actual contact time is relatively little?

I have a child I support too. She lives with her father and stays with me in the holidays so I cannot move completely although I would like to, because she is happy at her school.

So in summary, would it be possibleto commute and maybe spend a night or two in a hostel during term time or do you think I could get financial help to live/ study there in the Maastricht whilst finding another way (part time work and possible grant) to support my child and to pay my UK rent?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Off to finish reading now..

Hi Tess. As courses have started this week it's too late to apply for a course now (you would have had one day even if I had seen this message earlier unofrtunately).
In terms of commuting, I wouldn't recommend it. You will get a lot of contact time in Maastricht, anything from 10 to 20 hours a week depending on your course.
I would also suggest looking at a course in particular rather than just applying for one that will take you, a lot of students who do this often struggle to stay motivated (myself included) and it makes the whole experience a lot harder.
To pay the lower tuition fee of approx. £1500 per year you would need to be registered as living in the Netherlands, Belgium or North Rhine Westphalia in Germany. If you continue to keep your residence in the UK, without registering in the Netherlands you would have to pay approx. €8000 per year.
There is some financial support and work available here, but it can take 2-3 months to come into effect once you start a course. For work and/or funding you would also need to be a resident of the Netherlands.

In terms of funding from the UK there is none available so I do not know what would be best or easiest for you at this time.

Good luck!
Reply 202
anyone has any experience applying to any university in Netherlands with a diploma from one of Singapore's polytechnic? Been googling around but to no avail so if you have any information, please do share with me.

Thanks in advance!
Is it too late to apply for this academic year? :biggrin:
Original post by Valentas
Is it too late to apply for this academic year? :biggrin:

This year, yes. Unless you are applying for the February intake of UCM (Liberal Arts & Sciences)
Original post by blahblahblah1
This really makes me want to apply for a study abroad programme. I'm just scared because of language barriers, I really wish I had paid more attention in French and German and secondary school, it would of really opened up my options!!

The Netherlands has a really high standard of English, and some of the courses are taught completely in English :smile:
Hey guys,

If any of you are starting at Maastricht this year it would be really great to hear about your experiences! We've set up a forum for international students to blog about their experiences, here. There's no commitment or anything - just start a blog and let us know what it's like to study abroad :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot

Finnneeeee :wink:

They call this blatant self-blog-promotion :evilbanana:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2125488
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 208
the alla
Reply 209
Original post by Mac.
the alla

Euuggghhh... "The alla" the place memories are best forgotten

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 210
Original post by jhenryg
Euuggghhh... "The alla" the place memories are best forgotten

My least finest moments have taken place on days in which we have ended it at the alla.
Reply 211
Original post by Mac.
My least finest moments have taken place on days in which we have ended it at the alla.

But the sad thing is almost all of my days have finished in the Alla. Alternatively Facefabriek or however you spell it has turned out to be a much better night out!
Reply 212
Original post by Asha5692
Yes please, could we skype Asha5692????

Hey, I had my interview two weeks ago. Did you get in???

Hi All! Which course are ya'll in? I just applied for the MSC 2013 Feb intake =)
Reply 213
Original post by ckzbond
I'm starting in this September as well, and will be flying over from Singapore in 3 weeks time. I am in University College Maastricht, Liberal Arts and Science course. Looking forward to meet everyone !

Hey mate! Good Day! I'm from singapore and I've applied to the MSC for 2013 Feb. From your post I understand that you're in that programme too? Could you help me by sharing some details about the programme and how is life like in Maastricht please?

Thank you in advance :smile:
:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 214
Hi all! I've a few questions.
1: I've read that you require at least some level of Dutch to be employable. How true is that?
2: Is it possible to share accommodation with another student? Will it be cheaper that way?

3: Anyone going in for the Feb 2013 intake?

Hope someone can help me with these queries..

Thank you in advance! :smile: Good day all!

Reply 215
Any idea what is the nearest place for accommodation to the Faculty of Humanities and Sciences UM ?

Wow, how ****ing patronising is the "How are the girls there?" question :indiff:
What about the quality of education? Any better than say Edinburgh or St.Andrews?
Original post by Teshz
Hi All! Which course are ya'll in? I just applied for the MSC 2013 Feb intake =)

I'm at MSC! It's great! Everybody's super friendly, loads of internationals, dedicated tutors, good environment, super intense though! Good luck!
Reply 219
Original post by Asha5692
I'm at MSC! It's great! Everybody's super friendly, loads of internationals, dedicated tutors, good environment, super intense though! Good luck!

That's awesome! By super intense you mean it's difficult? :smile:)

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending