The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Daria_Ar
Hi, guys! I'm planning to start my second undergraduate studies in Maastricht in 2013 and I will be 21 by that time. I'm a bit worried about the difference in age with most of the same year students. Will I be the only one of that age or there usually are some older students?

I will start my studies being 20 years old. You should not worry about your age, particularly being only 21. :smile:
Reply 141
Hey, I'm trying to apply to the Maastricht Uni (international business) now.

I know its very late, and hence my question - on the website it says, that the enrollment is done by a "lottery", and you can apply to the lottery only until 15th April, however, the course deadline is much later. Does that mean, that there is no point to apply now, because I missed the lottery? I know its my fault Im applying so late, but the actual deadlines on the website are confusing.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply 142
Original post by MM92
Hey, I'm trying to apply to the Maastricht Uni (international business) now.

I know its very late, and hence my question - on the website it says, that the enrollment is done by a "lottery", and you can apply to the lottery only until 15th April, however, the course deadline is much later. Does that mean, that there is no point to apply now, because I missed the lottery? I know its my fault Im applying so late, but the actual deadlines on the website are confusing.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You missed the deadline for the decentralised selection (where they look at your CV and motivation letter and accept you depending on that) but if I'm not mistaken, the deadline for the lottery is the 15th of May. So apply anyway!!

I don't know what school you go to now, but the Dutch system "DUO IB-Groep" (the one in charge of the lottery) classifies IB, A-levels, EB, etc. in a "low grade" category. (The chances of you being selected are lower if you are categorised in a lower class)
Reply 143
Great thanks for the reply! Although for some reason you got thumbs down, which worries me. I think you got it because you wrote opposite of what you meant - chances of getting in after graduating with IB, A-levels etc. are higher, not lower. But anyway.

Seeing as Studielink allows to apply only to one uni with lottery (which is really strange to me, as 90% of all unis/courses have lottery), if I apply to Maastricht, I probably wont be able to apply to any other uni, so this is a big gamble for me. Could you please reassure me that this is worth it (i.e. I still have a reasonable chance of getting in) / could anyone else state their opinion on this?

Again, great thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 144
You have different groups in the lottery system ranging from A to E. Dutch students will be classified according to their grades, but if you don't have a Dutch VWO diploma, you will be placed in group C. Being classified in group A means you automatically get in, E means you have a small chance. The ratio of successful applicants for groups B : C : D : E is 9 : 6 : 4 : 3. The success rate depends on the number of applicants and how many people are placed in your group, but I'd say you have a decent chance. Do bear in mind that opposed to people in other groups, you will be 'competing' against every international applicant+normal Dutch applicants classified in that group+Dutch applicants with other qualifications. Personally, I don't know anyone who studies International Business or wants to study it, so as I said I think you have a decent chance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 145
Anyone know anything about European studies? I've applied to start in september 2012, havn't heard a response yet however
Reply 146
Kaas thanks for the info. Now I have a real dillema, which is caused by studielink's limitation to apply to 4 unis, out of which only 1 with lottery system, that is incrediebly disappointing and limits chances. Could you please confirm tho, seeing as I have only one spot, I have to use it wisely: the website states that the lottery took place on the 15th April: does applying now (outside of the lottery) still makes sense? I thought I saw somewhere on the website, that after 15th April it only makes sense to apply if ur a dutch student with really good grades, but I cant seem to find that now. Sorry if I seem to ask the same question over and over again, but the info on websites is very limited and this choice is very important because of the spot limitations.
Reply 147
http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Faculties/SBE/TargetGroup/ProspectiveStudents/Bachelor/InternationalBusiness/Admissions/HowToApply.htm

There is no centralised admission (lottery) anymore for this course so the deadline was 15 April.
Reply 148
So basically no point in applying anymore, right?
Reply 149
Nope, you missed the deadline.
Original post by R93t
Anyone know anything about European studies? I've applied to start in september 2012, havn't heard a response yet however

Hi, I've applied for European Studies too. A few weeks back I got invited to complete the questionnaire/survey, I applied way back in November before the open day so I don't know how they send them out. It may be that they send them out in batches because I had technical difficulties & the email I recieved said they were reading through 160ish & there's got to be more people than that who have applied, so the best thing to do is just to be patient the application deadline isn't until 1st August (Y).
Original post by Kaas
You have different groups in the lottery system ranging from A to E. Dutch students will be classified according to their grades, but if you don't have a Dutch VWO diploma, you will be placed in group C. Being classified in group A means you automatically get in, E means you have a small chance. The ratio of successful applicants for groups B : C : D : E is 9 : 6 : 4 : 3. The success rate depends on the number of applicants and how many people are placed in your group, but I'd say you have a decent chance. Do bear in mind that opposed to people in other groups, you will be 'competing' against every international applicant+normal Dutch applicants classified in that group+Dutch applicants with other qualifications. Personally, I don't know anyone who studies International Business or wants to study it, so as I said I think you have a decent chance.

I'm doing IB and applied for International Business... I thought my chances would've been increased doing IB. It would not make sense to me that my chances would be lower seeing as it is much more of a challenging program. Why would they automatically place people without a Dutch diploma in group C, if the university is so set on having an international environment?

Thank you, I'm just worried now that I have already applied.
Reply 152
Original post by carolinesunshine
I'm doing IB and applied for International Business... I thought my chances would've been increased doing IB. It would not make sense to me that my chances would be lower seeing as it is much more of a challenging program. Why would they automatically place people without a Dutch diploma in group C, if the university is so set on having an international environment?

Thank you, I'm just worried now that I have already applied.

As you can see on the Maastricht website (I posted the link a few posts back) there is no lottery anymore for this course and the university will handpick their students.

Much more of a challenging program? You mean than the Dutch VWO?
I also do the IB and they have offered me a place for International Business, feel free to PM caroline
Reply 154
Hey, Anyone 18 from the UK going to be in Maastricht doing Econometrics and Operations Research or just in the School of Economics and Business PM me... would be nice to know someone when I arrive :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by LPickering
Hi, I've applied for European Studies too. A few weeks back I got invited to complete the questionnaire/survey, I applied way back in November before the open day so I don't know how they send them out. It may be that they send them out in batches because I had technical difficulties & the email I recieved said they were reading through 160ish & there's got to be more people than that who have applied, so the best thing to do is just to be patient the application deadline isn't until 1st August (Y).

Thanks :smile: So did they give you any more info after you did the survey, as in have they made you an offer? Or are you still waiting? I'm so confused by their system compared to the uk one
Reply 156
Hi everyone, I have been reading through the thread and have some more question.

1. I have been informed that starting newt year the European Law School will also have the decentralised admission process, but am i right in thinking the lottery section has been disregarded for the whole university.

2.Second, for those that have applied to courses with decentralised admission already such as the Economic course and Medicine for example, what grades did you have to get in. For example I am predicted AABC or ABBC. What do my chances look like.(They are UK results)

3.I have also had work experience at one of the UK's major law firms, will this help, also do they look at charity work and general employment, i have been working as front of house for a restaurant during Year 12.

I am in year 12 still currently but i am curious as to what i can expect when i apply in 2013.

Many thanks, George.

If you could all post your grades though and whether you got accepted or not that would be great. Just to give everyone some confidence based on their own predicted grades.
Reply 157
Original post by GeorgeN11
Hi everyone, I have been reading through the thread and have some more question.

1. I have been informed that starting newt year the European Law School will also have the decentralised admission process, but am i right in thinking the lottery section has been disregarded for the whole university?

Then you're a bit unlucky, it seems like everyone who applied to enroll in/before 2012 got in, regardless of their grades, as long as they passed their exams. The lottery system has not been disregarded for the whole university. The Dutch government has plans to scrap the whole lottery system and let the university pick all of their students through the decentralised admission process, but those are still plans as far as I know.

I think they will either choose all their students through the decentralised admission process OR choose part of the students through that and part through the centralised (lottery) system next year.
Reply 158
Ok, thanks for the reply, I guess i will have to wait and see in terms of the specifics for the European Law School.

In terms of other subjects that are doing this already however, Medicine and Economics and Business etc, what grades do you require to get into those programs. That is good evidence then for suggesting what grades will be needed for Law in 2013. I suspect they will be similar or perhaps a little less for Law because Medicine is generally harder to get into than Law. Especially in the UK that is the case.
Reply 159
Also i am fairly fluent in Dutch, taught myself as soon as i realised that Maastricht was where i wanted to go. Will this be an advantage for me as an English national?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending