The Student Room Group

Future of Business: ICT OR Economics

I'm applying to university this year (to begin in 2012) and I'm confronted with a huge dilemma: Should I do Economics or Computer Science?

On the one hand, there is economics, a prestigious and widely respected degree with enormous opportunities in the business world. A degree which, if successfully completed and cleverly applied, could bring vast wealth to the student. However, on the other hand, Computer Science, although equally respected in IT environment, is unlikely to bring as many opportunities. But it is undoubtedly the future of our world, and this is very important.

Personally, I had never in the past expressed strong interest in field of ICT/IT, and so my knowledge of the subject is very limited and small, and my general IT skills are embarrassing. Therefore, I'm inclined to read economics related subject at university. However, I know that IT has great potential, and it will be important in the future, and if I don't acquaint myself with it well enough soon, I'd lose the opportunity to ever be good at it( OR maybe its TOO LATE already?:frown: ).

So please help me resolve this problem. Any information would be useful. N.B. I don't see my self in pure IT related job at all, I want to be in banking or business and use IT knowledge for improving business efficiency. Some of the sub-question which I have: Should I do economics at degree level and then learn IT later on in life? OR would it be too difficult? Maybe I should IT as an undergraduate and then do masters in economics or MBA?
SORRY for being incoherent, I just find it difficult to express all my ideas and concerns.
Reply 1
ICT and Computer Science are completely and utterly different. I strongly recommend you find out the difference between them before applying for one of the other.

Also, a degree in Computer Science (from an appropriate institution) is a very strong route into 'banking'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending