The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is Manchester a racist city or a tolerant city?

Coming from London, I'm a Chinese/Vietnamese, so tanned, would I be subjected to racism? I don't mean Oldham etc. I'm unlikely to venture out into those suburbs, but the city centre, where students will be based?
Manchester has a massive Chinatown, so I think you'll have little to worry about. It's also got the gay village, so it's not exactly intolerant.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
It's very culturally diverse, so I'd expect tolerant. Obviously those with better knowledge could correct or verify that.
Reply 3
Original post by srascal8
Coming from London, I'm a Chinese/Vietnamese, so tanned, would I be subjected to racism? I don't mean Oldham etc. I'm unlikely to venture out into those suburbs, but the city centre, where students will be based?

On the whole, its definitely not a racist city as its so multicultural. However there will always be one or two racist loosers wherever you go. But don't worry the people are not racist.

(I should know- Ive lived here all my life)
Last time I was in Manchester it was like Bangladesh.
I used to live in Manchester, in Prestwich, and it is just like all the other cities, where most of the people are friendly and not racist, but you will get a minority of racism in any civilization, and this is the case in Manchester, a very small minority of racism exists at the most.
Reply 6
Manchester is a really nice place full of different cultures for the most part, obviously, as with any city in the UK you get the negative areas but thats normal. As for diversity and cultures, Manchester is a great place to live.
Reply 7
with a gay town, china town, curry mile, and jewish area, i can tell you its not racist... more fun, be careful what you say though, sometimes i say the wrong thing in the wong place.

honestly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending