The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth or Bangor for English and Creative Writing?

Hi,
I want to study English and creative writing and the 5 universities that I'm most interested in for the course are Glamorgan, Cardiff, Bath Spa, Aberystwyth and Bangor.

Aberystwyth and Bangor are my favourites out of the 5 and I can't make my mind up as to which one to put as my first choice.

My predicted grades are;

A in English language and literature
B in Classical Civilisation
B in Extended Project
C in Religious Studies

My question is which one is the better university?
Which one's nicer/ has a better atmosphere?
Which one has the better destination?
It would be great to hear from current students to get their opinion but a respnce from anyone would be great.

Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

nudge
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
nudge..
Reply 3
I would choose Aberystwyth if I were you , it has a better reputation + Bangor seems to be a little bit Welsh ( not that it's a bad thing .......but some people might not like it )
Original post by Durido
I would choose Aberystwyth if I were you , it has a better reputation + Bangor seems to be a little bit Welsh ( not that it's a bad thing .......but some people might not like it )

Well, I've decided to have a look around both of them as they have the same open day and they're an hour from each other which is handy :smile:
Reply 5
If you decide to go to Aber we might meet there next year since I'm apllying there to read international Politics ( it's not my first choice though ) so I guess see you there than ( or not ....)
Original post by Durido
If you decide to go to Aber we might meet there next year since I'm apllying there to read international Politics ( it's not my first choice though ) so I guess see you there than ( or not ....)

aha! I may see you there then. What are your other choices?
Reply 7
Queens Belfast ( 1)
Aber (2)
Stirling (3)
Dundee (4)
Ulster Uni (5)
All for Politics :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by purple_starlight

Well, I've decided to have a look around both of them as they have the same open day and they're an hour from each other which is handy :smile:

I don't know where you were told they're an hour from each other, they're not!

I live directly down from Bangor and directly up from Aberystwyth, on the coast, and if you're planning on going the fastest route - the A487 (although I would recommend that you carry on through Porthmadog and down the coast road through my neck of the woods (Barmouth and Harlech), down to Tywyn and on from there through Mach to Aberystwyth), it should take 2hrs15mins, but it's not the nicest of roads and I'd estimate more 2hrs45min - 3hrs.

Aberystwyth and Bangor are my favourites out of the 5 and I can't make my mind up as to which one to put as my first choice.

Wait and see where you actually get offers from before you start worrying about this - it could be that the decision is out of your hands.

Then go and visit the universities - you'll probably find that you prefer one rather than the other.
Original post by madders94
I don't know where you were told they're an hour from each other, they're not!

I live directly down from Bangor and directly up from Aberystwyth, on the coast, and if you're planning on going the fastest route - the A487 (although I would recommend that you carry on through Porthmadog and down the coast road through my neck of the woods (Barmouth and Harlech), down to Tywyn and on from there through Mach to Aberystwyth), it should take 2hrs15mins, but it's not the nicest of roads and I'd estimate more 2hrs45min - 3hrs.

Thank you! That was superb advice! :smile:

I thought that they weren't too far away from each other until a couple of days before the open day when we did some proper research using the satnav. We ended up only going to see Bangor which was a shame as I would of loved to of seen Aber too. Everything is so far away...Bangor was a 6-7 hour drive from where I live as it was.
Original post by oxymoronic
Wait and see where you actually get offers from before you start worrying about this - it could be that the decision is out of your hands.

Then go and visit the universities - you'll probably find that you prefer one rather than the other.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Definitly Aberystwyth,my cousin did the exact same course at bangor and hated it,the lecturer couldnt talk english clearly apparently...she moved to lancaster from bangor after 9 months.she hated the enviroment and lack of disipline..also the fact their gonna raise the fees to 9 grand which is insane.
(edited 12 years ago)
As you've probably figured by now, Bangor is in the middle of nowhere. It's so easy to go from Aber to Cardiff, which has absolutely everything you could need.
Reply 14
Of what I've experienced, there is a good mix of Welsh and English in both Universitys, but I always feel that the Welsh have a better social life in Aber, but I may be very biased!
Thank you! That was superb advice! :smile:

I thought that they weren't too far away from each other until a couple of days before the open day when we did some proper research using the satnav. We ended up only going to see Bangor which was a shame as I would of loved to of seen Aber too. Everything is so far away...Bangor was a 6-7 hour drive from where I live as it was.

No worries :smile: Did you like Bangor? It's a gorgeous city but small as cities go, and the University is beautiful from the outside. Aber is a lovely town but again, quite small, and I wasn't incredibly impressed with the university, but I went to see Drama rather than English and Creative Writing.

A lot of people think that because Wales is so small, you can get around it really quickly, and it's easy to forget that most of the roads go over mountains, there's only one motorway in Wales and the rest are mainly roads that go over mountains and through small villages with low speed limits. It took us five and a half hours to get from where I live to Cardiff in June.
Original post by madders94
No worries :smile: Did you like Bangor? It's a gorgeous city but small as cities go, and the University is beautiful from the outside. Aber is a lovely town but again, quite small, and I wasn't incredibly impressed with the university, but I went to see Drama rather than English and Creative Writing.

A lot of people think that because Wales is so small, you can get around it really quickly, and it's easy to forget that most of the roads go over mountains, there's only one motorway in Wales and the rest are mainly roads that go over mountains and through small villages with low speed limits. It took us five and a half hours to get from where I live to Cardiff in June.

I loved it! I especially loved the landscape (also...some places in the main building look like Hogwarts!) ...I liked the course too and I got a good vibe from the area and people (they were all so friendly). My only worry is that it's soooo far away from home. I still want to go and everything but it's dawned on me how far away it is.

What are your choices? Are you applying this year?

Yeah...there certainly are a lot of mountains in Wales. I tried to find a dragon, but they were all hiding :frown:

:smile:
Original post by Anji-banji
Of what I've experienced, there is a good mix of Welsh and English in both Universitys, but I always feel that the Welsh have a better social life in Aber, but I may be very biased!

Why... do the English get left out at Aber then? (because I'm english)
Original post by cosmicalgebra
Definitly Aberystwyth,my cousin did the exact same course at bangor and hated it,the lecturer couldnt talk english clearly apparently...she moved to lancaster from bangor after 9 months.she hated the enviroment and lack of disipline..also the fact their gonna raise the fees to 9 grand which is insane.

I havn't checked Aberystwyth out yet...but I really want to. Have you seen Aber?

They're raising the fees up to 9 grand nearly everywhere....so I guarentee that I'll feel doomed (money-wise) whereever I go :biggrin:
I loved it! I especially loved the landscape (also...some places in the main building look like Hogwarts!) ...I liked the course too and I got a good vibe from the area and people (they were all so friendly). My only worry is that it's soooo far away from home. I still want to go and everything but it's dawned on me how far away it is.

What are your choices? Are you applying this year?

Yeah...there certainly are a lot of mountains in Wales. I tried to find a dragon, but they were all hiding :frown:

:smile:

Slightly related: my sister is playing a baby Welsh dragon in our pantomime this year! :awesome:

I'm applying this year, my choices are -

Glyndwr University
Liverpool John Moores
Aberystwyth
Manchester Metropolitan
Glamorgan (Atrium in Cardiff)

All for a drama/applied drama related subject :smile: how about you, what are your other choices?

The people in the area are really lovely :smile: there's this concept that everyone in Wales is really unwelcoming to people from outside of Wales, but that's not true at all. You get one or two, like you get in any country, but the majority are lovely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest