The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University - what's the area like?

Hey there :smile:

I'm thinking about making Nottingham University one of my choices to study Psychology next September and I've completely fallen in love with the course from what I've seen so far! But I've been told Nottingham itself isn't a very nice place, but having never been there myself I have nooo clue. So, I'm just wondering for anyone studying or living there, what's your opinion on the place?

Thanks a lot :biggrin: x

Scroll to see replies

Area is quite bad. On campus its great to live in as a first year.

Try to avoid living in Radford. Absolutely shocking place to live in lol.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Riiight okay, I'll bare that one in mind :P
When you say area, I'm guessing that would include the area of where you'd be living in the second year?
Original post by Leanne-24
Riiight okay, I'll bare that one in mind :P
When you say area, I'm guessing that would include the area of where you'd be living in the second year?

Yeah. First year you will be fine no problem. With regards to commuting to the city for nights out etc, travel with a group of friends etc, and don't come back home on your own at night.

Yeah, say if you were looking where to live as a 2nd year student, don't live in Radford or Lenton, as these areas aren't the most friendly of places about. You need to keep your guard up at all times, even in the mornings! :redface:
Reply 4
I am quite interested in this university for Politics. However my father said that the crime rate is high. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Maybe that's not a good idea for me then, with how I am in the mornings I'd never be able to have any kind of guard up :P
Thanks for the advice though, it's been a great help :smile:
Reply 6
The area isn't that bad, it has Wollaton on one side (a middle class, residential area, rather nice really) and Lenton on the other side (student dominated). Places like the Meadows, Radford and St Anns are only an issue if you choose to go there, they by no means border University Park. I don't consider them to be a problem.
Reply 7
Original post by IB_19
I am quite interested in this university of Politics. However my father said that the crime rate is high. :frown:

Don't let that put you off. Crime rates are no higher than those of Manchester, London, Liverpool, Birmingham, etc.
Reply 8
Original post by IB_19
I am quite interested in this university for Politics. However my father said that the crime rate is high. :frown:

My dad said exactly the same to me too! I was rambling on about how much I loved it and he was like well I'd watch it, it's not the friendliest of places! I may just see how it feels when I take a trip up there :smile:
Original post by IB_19

Crime levels are double that of national UK average, with burglary 4 times higher lol. You should be fine though, providing you don't do anything silly, i.e. wandering round on your own at midnight, out of campus.
Original post by Craig_D
Don't let that put you off. Crime rates are no higher than those of Manchester, London, Liverpool, Birmingham, etc.

Yeah exactly, every city in the UK has rough areas, you just have to be streetwise, and you will be fine.

To those looking to study at Nottingham, the overall level of crime has reduced by around 13% in 2010, compared to 2009.

The fact that there is a lot of police presence, should help make you feel safer.

Also, there are around 50,000 students in Nottingham, so you shouldn't feel worried.
Reply 11
Yeah, I guess that's all true :smile: As long as your aware of it and try and stay safe, I guess it's only a problem if you let it be a problem. I guess if it was that big a problem, there wouldn't be around 50,000 students there :P
Reply 12
I've just moved to Nottingham for university and so far it seems fine. The campuses are very nice, although I'm on Jubilee campus so I don't get to see University Park too much.

The city has plenty of shops and you can find everything you need in there. Depending on where you're coming from, you might find the shops a little downgrade (I did, coming from Manchester) but you won't miss out on anything.

It can be quite dodgy in some areas at night, but as long as you stick to the main roads and don't go wondering down a residential street then you'll be fine, just like anywhere really.
Reply 13
Original post by Coda
I've just moved to Nottingham for university and so far it seems fine. The campuses are very nice, although I'm on Jubilee campus so I don't get to see University Park too much.

The city has plenty of shops and you can find everything you need in there. Depending on where you're coming from, you might find the shops a little downgrade (I did, coming from Manchester) but you won't miss out on anything.

It can be quite dodgy in some areas at night, but as long as you stick to the main roads and don't go wondering down a residential street then you'll be fine, just like anywhere really.

Well I'm coming from a place where I have to travel at least an hour to get to any decent high street shops so I don't think I'll be having too much of a problem there :tongue:
What is it like for getting to and from the town? And is the nightlife in the area any good? Thanks, that's a lot of help :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Chicharito14
Yeah. First year you will be fine no problem. With regards to commuting to the city for nights out etc, travel with a group of friends etc, and don't come back home on your own at night.

Yeah, say if you were looking where to live as a 2nd year student, don't live in Radford or Lenton, as these areas aren't the most friendly of places about. You need to keep your guard up at all times, even in the mornings! :redface:

There is a lot of nonsense on this. My son has been at Nottingham for two years abnd has never had a problem. Like many big cities, there are a few areas that you just don't go to. As parents, we worry more about him when he is out in Bedford rather than Nottingham.
And if yiou don't like the student crowd in Lenton, try living in Beeston. Much more civilised and not dominated by students.
Well I'm coming from a place where I have to travel at least an hour to get to any decent high street shops so I don't think I'll be having too much of a problem there :tongue:
What is it like for getting to and from the town? And is the nightlife in the area any good? Thanks, that's a lot of help :smile:

Buses are pretty good over most of Nottingham, fairly regular, not too pricey. Nightlife is great - seems to be something for everyone! They've got all the usual bars and clubs, plus loads of different little alternative places - loads of live music, comedy, theatre...
Reply 16

Night life is good, the university organises a lot and there's always things on in town. Buses are absolutely everywhere, there are plenty going into town from on campus and all over. There's also "hopper" buses between the campuses that are free of charge.
Reply 17
Original post by Scott1541
Anyone going to Nottingham might want to invest in a bullet proof vest.

Rubbish. Nottingham is a good city. The city centre is fantastic. Just keep out of St Annes and the Meadows. Just like Manchester where you would not willingly walk through Moss side.
Hey there :smile:

I'm thinking about making Nottingham University one of my choices to study Psychology next September and I've completely fallen in love with the course from what I've seen so far! But I've been told Nottingham itself isn't a very nice place, but having never been there myself I have nooo clue. So, I'm just wondering for anyone studying or living there, what's your opinion on the place?

Thanks a lot :biggrin: x

I went for a walk around the centre when I came up for the open day. I'm hoping to study Mech Eng there or Warwick. It was really nice, although the actual shopping centre (Broadmarsh Westfield) was crap, I think its undergoing redevelopment though.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I went for a walk around the centre when I came up for the open day. I'm hoping to study Mech Eng there or Warwick. It was really nice, although the actual shopping centre (Broadmarsh Westfield) was crap, I think its undergoing redevelopment though.

Theres 2 shopping centres in Nottingham. Personally, I love the 'charm' of the Broadmarsh, but there is also the Victoria Shopping centre, which has the look and the calibre of shops that you'd expect from a shopping centre. http://www.victoriacentre.uk.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending