The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University - what's the area like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I went for a walk around the centre when I came up for the open day. I'm hoping to study Mech Eng there or Warwick. It was really nice, although the actual shopping centre (Broadmarsh Westfield) was crap, I think its undergoing redevelopment though.

Both of Nottingham's shopping centres are going to untertake multi-million pound redevelopment. Anyone who is interested in this can look at the special development websites for each centre to see what they may be like in the near future:

Victoria Centre:
http://www.futurevictoriacentre.com/

Westfield Broadmarsh:
http://www.broadmarshdevelopment.com/index.php?p=newBroadmarsh
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Nottingham as a city is a complete hole. I was born here, and love it, but having lived elsewhere in the UK and other parts of the world, it really is crap. Not as crap as London is though.
That said, the crime rate is NOT high. Students tend to be targeted usually because as a group we are pretty stupid, immature idiots who leave doors unlocked and wander round with expensive toys being drunk and loud. Stay on campus, or live in Beeston if that worries you.
Nothing wrong with St Anns, or the Meadows. They have a bad rep, but nothing to write home about. Yes people get mugged, but London is worse.
The Broadmarsh is NOT a shopping centre, it is a breeding ground for TOWIE wannabies and pikeys. If you need to shop, there are plenty of places and all walkable from each other. Probably just as good as Manchester but without the Harvey Nicks.
Reply 22
Original post by Leanne-24
Hey there :smile:

I'm thinking about making Nottingham University one of my choices to study Psychology next September and I've completely fallen in love with the course from what I've seen so far! But I've been told Nottingham itself isn't a very nice place, but having never been there myself I have nooo clue. So, I'm just wondering for anyone studying or living there, what's your opinion on the place?

Thanks a lot :biggrin: x

I been there before.
Lot of chavs and locals are harden nutterz, on drugs and are drunk.
The university is nice but many locals hate the students.
I would not go there if I were you, it is not a safe place.
Reply 23
[QUOTE="York10;34308776"]I been there before.
Lot of chavs and locals are harden nutterz, on drugs and are drunk.
The university is nice but many locals hate the students.
I would not go there if I were you, it is not a safe place.[/QUOTE
Yet more rubbish. Nottingham is fine and anyone who doesn't go there because of idiots like this is seriously missing out. As I say, bedford is scariwers than Nottingham.
Reply 24
I am trying to decide between exeter and nottingham uni? I don't know though really at all..I know notts has the bigger more vibrant city but what does exeter have to offer? Any help would be much appreciated
Original post by Marc11
I am trying to decide between exeter and nottingham uni? I don't know though really at all..I know notts has the bigger more vibrant city but what does exeter have to offer? Any help would be much appreciated

You might get biased answers considering this is in the Nottingham forum. Ask in the Exeter forum for more specific queries relating to Exeter! :smile:
Reply 26
Honestly can't tell you about Exeter but Nottingham is good, great city, great uni. What you studying?

Hey there :smile:

I'm thinking about making Nottingham University one of my choices to study Psychology next September and I've completely fallen in love with the course from what I've seen so far! But I've been told Nottingham itself isn't a very nice place, but having never been there myself I have nooo clue. So, I'm just wondering for anyone studying or living there, what's your opinion on the place?

Thanks a lot :biggrin: x

The campus is really nice. :smile: It's like a village lol. Also has pathways in woods etc :wink: There's a lake there too or canal lock.

Most areas of Nottingham are fine, and the night life is good apparently.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I went for a walk around the centre when I came up for the open day. I'm hoping to study Mech Eng there or Warwick. It was really nice, although the actual shopping centre (Broadmarsh Westfield) was crap, I think its undergoing redevelopment though.

There are 2 shopping centres in town, victoria and broadmarsh. also shops going down hockley and up canning circus, mansfeild road aswell.
to the op, the area is fine. just don't go into st anns, radford or the meadows if your not street smart, it's not like you'l have any reason too anyway.
I don't see the panic, at least for certain parts of the city. Beeston - for example - I found a lot more friendly, even at night, than my hometown which is fairly safe. Ok, there's probably the odd fight/assault etc where I'm from but it's nothing that bad.
Reply 30
Been living here nearly 3 weeks and I love the place. I come from St Helens which is near Liverpool and this place has way less chavs than I'm used to. It has an excellent balance of beauty with some scummy places, both of which I appreciate.

The campus is an amazing place to be on a sunny day, I stayed by the lake 5 hours after I finished one day just to appreciate it all.

Total opposite, I was walking home on my own from the city at 1am and I sat at a bus stop for a half hour chat with a man about how he only spent 2 years in prison when he should have been in for 8. I don't see why people worry about coming here, everyone has to face the real world at some point.
Great. Another thread on crime rates in Nottingham. Just what we needed!

As a student you'll be safe as houses with a bit of common sense. You're in no more danger than you would be walking around any other town or city in the country!
Reply 32
You'll be fine. Don't live in Beeston though, it is for young families not students.
Most cities have student areas like Lenton where crime rockets. This is because students are easy targets, so just take care!
Area around the university:
Beeston - this is really for families, not students. It is a long bus ride into town, so don't live there.

Lenton/Dunkirk - More student orientated, good bus links into town (there will be a tram going through there soon as well). But there is a lot of cime there, so be careful where you go and make sure you don't get the last bus out of town.

Nottingham in general is a very good city, with as much to do as bigger cities, but in a more compact size (I've lived in London and Nottingham, and you can do all the novelty activities such as ice skating without the city being too busy or congested)
Reply 34
Well i'm at Trent, but I looked around Nottingham Uni too. Basically, it is in a pretty crap area, however the campus is lovely, and to be honest once your on campus you barely have to leave (except to go out clubbing, sometimes not even then if your SU is on campus). I'm in Clifton, which is pretty crap but it doesn't feel like it because im always on campus :smile:
Onlhy bad thing is getting a cab to and from town after nights out, instead of being able to walk, but thats alright, its £2 each for us if we have 4, so i'd say it would be less for you. If you like the course then go for it, personally I think campus uni's are so much better than ones that are spread out. Nottingham is great for nightlife, yeah there's rough area's but i've lived there all my life and never encountered anything terrible. Just don't go looking for trouble, stick to the main club area's and you'll be alright :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by barrze
You'll be fine. Don't live in Beeston though, it is for young families not students.
Most cities have student areas like Lenton where crime rockets. This is because students are easy targets, so just take care!

Nothing wrong with Beeston - lots of students live there.It is not dominated by student though which is why crime is lower there. And son's house is 200 yards from campus.
Original post by Shan<3
Well i'm at Trent, but I looked around Nottingham Uni too. Basically, it is in a pretty crap area, however the campus is lovely, and to be honest once your on campus you barely have to leave (except to go out clubbing, sometimes not even then if your SU is on campus). I'm in Clifton, which is pretty crap but it doesn't feel like it because im always on campus :smile:
Onlhy bad thing is getting a cab to and from town after nights out, instead of being able to walk, but thats alright, its £2 each for us if we have 4, so i'd say it would be less for you. If you like the course then go for it, personally I think campus uni's are so much better than ones that are spread out. Nottingham is great for nightlife, yeah there's rough area's but i've lived there all my life and never encountered anything terrible. Just don't go looking for trouble, stick to the main club area's and you'll be alright :biggrin:

There are also night buses that run around Nottingham if you don't want to get a cab.

*If you're based on University Park Campus you can use indigo which runs 24 hours (every 30 minutes through the night). On Friday and Saturday nights you can also use N36 and Y36

*If you're based on Clifton Campus, you can use the Skylink bus which also runs 24 hours (hourly through the night).

*If you're based on the Jubilee Campus you can use the N28 or the two on Friday and Saturday nights. Or alternatively the Indigo runs along Derby road 24 hours every day.

* If you're on Brackenhurst Campus you can use the N100 on friday and saturday nights.
Reply 37
Original post by ultimate mashup
There are also night buses that run around Nottingham if you don't want to get a cab.

*If you're based on University Park Campus you can use indigo which runs 24 hours (every 30 minutes through the night). On Friday and Saturday nights you can also use N36 and Y36

*If you're based on Clifton Campus, you can use the Skylink bus which also runs 24 hours (hourly through the night).

*If you're based on the Jubilee Campus you can use the N28 or the two on Friday and Saturday nights. Or alternatively the Indigo runs along Derby road 24 hours every day.

* If you're on Brackenhurst Campus you can use the N100 on friday and saturday nights.

Oh thank you :smile: I knew about the Skylink but didn't realise it ran 24 hours! :smile:
Reply 38
I got burgled in my third year. And I died
Reply 39
you spend your university life living inside a bubble so you really don't notice the crime in the area. when you do it's generally "oh my flatmate's laptop got stolen, again" kind of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending