The Student Room Group

A level choices?!

hi guys im in year 11 and will have to submit my a level choices by feb.
i want to take physics, chemistry,biology and geogrphy. firstly does it seen strange to have all sciences and a georpahy or is it an alright combo?
also with these a levels what sorts courses in uni would i have options of taking?

thanks guys and please dont say i should take maths because i dont want to lol thanks!
Reply 1
It's a good combo if you like the sciences. All of those subjects are respected by universities. All those subjects complement each other to a certain degree, which is good if you wanted to apply for a degree in any of those subjects :smile:

I took chemistry and found it quite hard... I found maths much easier but that's just me. You can do well in any subject you are interested in :biggrin:
All sciences and geography is a great combo, they go well together. Which one were you thinking of dropping at AS?
As to courses, with these you'd be pretty much okay for any science course except maybe physics (that kinda needs maths), you're good for medicine, geography, geology and other subjects like that.

I get that you don't want to do maths, but physics can be incredibly tricky sometimes without it and anyone doing physics without maths has to go to special 'physics maths' sessions at lunch at my school. Some topics are okay, but at both AS and A2 there are a lot of bits that are much harder without maths, or that use types of maths such as integration and natural logs that you really will need a few maths lessons for.
Reply 3
yeah thanks i never knew that science and geogrpahy went well together. and also do you HAVE to take maths aswell for you to be able to do medicine?
Reply 4
Original post by osama2
yeah thanks i never knew that science and geogrpahy went well together. and also do you HAVE to take maths aswell for you to be able to do medicine?

Nope, I think I'm right in saying no Medical School has an A2 Maths requirement, or even an AS one. It's usually Biology, Chem and one other Science; or Biol, Chem and anything.
Reply 5
thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by osama2

If you wanna do medicine,then it's a good idea to take maths.
Physics is HARD!
My friend's doing it this year,and it's REALLY HARD!
You wont be able to do it without doing maths.
I wanna go into medicine too,and I'm doing my A-Levels this year;I took biology,chemistry,maths and french..
But trust me,there is a BIG GAP between GCSEs and A-Levels..
All the subjects are hard anyway...
Reply 7
i agree with you but i have a GENIUS of a tutor. I was predicted D's for my 2 modules in maths he got me 2 A's! same with my sciences he can turn things around like that. so no pressure on him lol. but im nt saying it wont be hard it will be but i will work very hard.
Reply 8
Original post by Varsh05
If you wanna do medicine,then it's a good idea to take maths.
Physics is HARD!
My friend's doing it this year,and it's REALLY HARD!
You wont be able to do it without doing maths.
I wanna go into medicine too,and I'm doing my A-Levels this year;I took biology,chemistry,maths and french..
But trust me,there is a BIG GAP between GCSEs and A-Levels..
All the subjects are hard anyway...

Was it you who negged me?

Anyway, this isn't true, Maths does help with Physics, especially the Mechanics modules, but I coped fine at A2 Physics without the help of Maths.
Reply 9
You can definitely do Physics without Maths. Those are fine options, they will probably take you into a lot of science-based routes.
Reply 10
Original post by Elwyn
Was it you who negged me?

Anyway, this isn't true, Maths does help with Physics, especially the Mechanics modules, but I coped fine at A2 Physics without the help of Maths.

No lol,it wasn't me!

Kool,do you mind if I ask what you got..? :colondollar:
It also depends on the school though..coz the 6th form I go to doesn't allow you to take Physics unless your doing Maths... :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by Varsh05
No lol,it wasn't me!

Kool,do you mind if I ask what you got..? :colondollar:
It also depends on the school though..coz the 6th form I go to doesn't allow you to take Physics unless your doing Maths... :s-smilie:

4 As
Reply 12
Original post by Elwyn
4 As

nice must of been hard work....did u revise much?
Reply 13
Original post by osama2
nice must of been hard work....did u revise much?

Alot, but you have to if you want to do well.
Reply 14
Original post by Elwyn
4 As

WOW!
How many hours of revision did you do per day??
And,what uni did you get into? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest