The Student Room Group

1st class degree – how much advantage can it give you? (when applying to the Big4)

I am currently in my final year and plan to apply for the Big4 (PwC being my 1st choice if I ever get to choose in this climate to be honest). I was wondering how much real significance does a 1st class degree, in a business-related subject, can have (as opposed to 2.1) in this situation. Obviously, it will help get through the automatic screening (minimum degree requirements etc.), coupled with good A-Levels. But surely, once that stage is over, no one cares (by no one I mean recruiters)? The interviews and ACs assess competencies, and if someone with a 2.1 is better than you at those, the classification will not help. Or am I completely off the tracks here? I have mainly heard rumours, but a guy from a recruitment solutions company (which deals with grad schemes for banks mainly) mentioned that the classification above the minimum requirement does not per se give you an advantage when getting through selection at big firms; in fact, it can be a bit of a curse, as even if your interviewer does look at your degree, he will inevitably have higher expectations (especially from a business graduate) and, if these are not met, you are more likely to fail even if you compare well to your “2.1” peers. Having had very little interview/AC experience (unsuccessful, to add to this misery), I do realize I might be talking complete nonsense.
I am one of those people who have to work slightly harder than others to achieve a higher mark. This year, at my uni, this is going to be a hell of a task to do. Hence the need to know whether it is really worth it (I know one should strive for the best, but I would rather have a 2.1 than a fistful of grey hairs and knowledge deposits in the eternal bags under my eyes)… Would be nice to hear from people who have at least a little insight (first- or second-hand) into this. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have a 1st and you have rubbish people skills but Bob has a 2.1 and great people skills, Bob will get the job.
Reply 2
It is part of passing through all the levels of filtering:

good A' levels
good degree
good application
good interview

The first two for the big 4 are very important for the automatic filtering, the quality of your application will determine if you get an interview or AC. Your performance at interview, proves whether reality matches your paper qualifications. In short they all matter, but a good application and interview performance can overcome someone with better academic performance, but poor interview skills (assuming that you both met the minimum standard).

In short achieve the best degree you can, no point in living with regret that you did not get the grade you deserved because you did not give it your all. Get some interview experience, that is what the careers department is for. Make sure that your application is good as it can be and be positive. Don't try second guessing how recruiters make decisions, it is a waste of time and energy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Obviously this varies a little firm by firm but basically you've got the following:

*Initial filtering - Will help you, although tbh as long as you have the 2.1, good A-levels and have written sensible answers to the other screening questions you should get through this.

*Numeracy and Literacy Tests - Won't help

*1st Interview - Won't help

*Assessment Centre - Won't help

*Partner Interview - probably won't help, but depends on the partner in question.

All in all not much of a return on the extra work it takes. My personal feeling is that a 1st is only worth it if you're applying to very competitive jobs, jobs without a formal application process or further study.

That said you don't exactly want to slack off and then end up with the horror of a Desmond + if you change your mind about the big4 or don't get in the 1st may have more use.
Reply 4
regardless of jobs or anything else....surely having a first is better off in all aspects. Since when was achieving the best a hinderance?! I say work hard and get the first because that will stay with you forever! lol
Reply 5
i would guess it would help... if your at an interview and two of you are the same then it will defo go in your favour. but there is more to it than grades.
Reply 6
Original post by MancStudent098
Obviously this varies a little firm by firm but basically you've got the following:

*Initial filtering - Will help you, although tbh as long as you have the 2.1, good A-levels and have written sensible answers to the other screening questions you should get through this.

*Numeracy and Literacy Tests - Won't help

*1st Interview - Won't help

*Assessment Centre - Won't help

*Partner Interview - probably won't help, but depends on the partner in question.

All in all not much of a return on the extra work it takes. My personal feeling is that a 1st is only worth it if you're applying to very competitive jobs, jobs without a formal application process or further study.

That said you don't exactly want to slack off and then end up with the horror of a Desmond + if you change your mind about the big4 or don't get in the 1st may have more use.

what is a desmond?
Reply 7
Desmond tutu ie 2:2
Original post by silkybhoy67
what is a desmond?

A 2:2 as in Desmond Tutu the South African priest guy
Original post by silkybhoy67
what is a desmond?
A 2.2. (Basically rhyming slang based on Desmond Tutu)

edit: I see someone got there before me.
Reply 10
Original post by datinggod
I am currently in my final year and plan to apply for the Big4 (PwC being my 1st choice if I ever get to choose in this climate to be honest). I was wondering how much real significance does a 1st class degree, in a business-related subject, can have (as opposed to 2.1) in this situation. Obviously, it will help get through the automatic screening (minimum degree requirements etc.), coupled with good A-Levels. But surely, once that stage is over, no one cares (by no one I mean recruiters)? The interviews and ACs assess competencies, and if someone with a 2.1 is better than you at those, the classification will not help. Or am I completely off the tracks here? I have mainly heard rumours, but a guy from a recruitment solutions company (which deals with grad schemes for banks mainly) mentioned that the classification above the minimum requirement does not per se give you an advantage when getting through selection at big firms; in fact, it can be a bit of a curse, as even if your interviewer does look at your degree, he will inevitably have higher expectations (especially from a business graduate) and, if these are not met, you are more likely to fail even if you compare well to your “2.1” peers. Having had very little interview/AC experience (unsuccessful, to add to this misery), I do realize I might be talking complete nonsense.
I am one of those people who have to work slightly harder than others to achieve a higher mark. This year, at my uni, this is going to be a hell of a task to do. Hence the need to know whether it is really worth it (I know one should strive for the best, but I would rather have a 2.1 than a fistful of grey hairs and knowledge deposits in the eternal bags under my eyes)… Would be nice to hear from people who have at least a little insight (first- or second-hand) into this. Thanks!

It all depends on which university you went to.

If you got a 1st from University of York, then is higly respected.

But if you went to a lower university outside the top 20 then it does not give you much of an advantage.
Original post by York10
It all depends on which university you went to.

If you got a 1st from University of York, then is higly respected.

But if you went to a lower university outside the top 20 then it does not give you much of an advantage.

Stop spewing rubbish out of your lower orifice you arrogant, ignorant incomprehensible tool of a troll.

OP, a first (no matter where you got it from) will stay with you forever. Most employers outside of Investment Banking and some consultancy firms do not know whether Exeter is better than York, or if Royal Holloway is less reputable than Edinburgh.

If I was applying for a job in fluid mechanics with a first in maths against someone else with a 2:1 in maths from Kings, the employer wouldn't give two ****s where we were from, rather, they'd ask if I did any hydrodynamics or magnetohydrodynamics or electromagnetism or whatever and ask how I scored, perhaps asking me some basic questions. Only then will I actually get the job, the first itself is basically telling an employer that I'm capable of applying mathematical logic. The rest of it is about my personality and my knowledge.

Before someone else comes along and says, 'but this is finance', the above applies to finance. Just not investment banking. What kind of ridiculous bank would judge you on your institution rather than your superb knowledge of the banking system, the recession, global markets and client interaction? None, that's what.

People like the above piss me off because they give completely false information to otherwise well meaning individuals who just want some ****ing advice. You know what, OP, don't take advice from anyone who hasn't confirmed that they're in their final year. Believe it or not finalists and graduates tend to be more exact with their findings because they ask people in industry rather than talk out of their arse with baseless 'facts' and 'trustworthy empirical data' like league tables.

Edit: Also, when you're 27 and looking for a promotion, who's going to look better, you with a first or the other prat with a 2:2 who's been working his but off to achieve the same level of understanding that you have?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Stop spewing rubbish out of your lower orifice you arrogant, ignorant incomprehensible tool of a troll.

OP, a first (no matter where you got it from) will stay with you forever. Most employers outside of Investment Banking and some consultancy firms do not know whether Exeter is better than York, or if Royal Holloway is less reputable than Edinburgh.

If I was applying for a job in fluid mechanics with a first in maths against someone else with a 2:1 in maths from Kings, the employer wouldn't give two ****s where we were from, rather, they'd ask if I did any hydrodynamics or magnetohydrodynamics or electromagnetism or whatever and ask how I scored, perhaps asking me some basic questions. Only then will I actually get the job, the first itself is basically telling an employer that I'm capable of applying mathematical logic. The rest of it is about my personality and my knowledge.

Before someone else comes along and says, 'but this is finance', the above applies to finance. Just not investment banking. What kind of ridiculous bank would judge you on your institution rather than your superb knowledge of the banking system, the recession, global markets and client interaction? None, that's what.

People like the above piss me off because they give completely false information to otherwise well meaning individuals who just want some ****ing advice. You know what, OP, don't take advice from anyone who hasn't confirmed that they're in their final year. Believe it or not finalists and graduates tend to be more exact with their findings because they ask people in industry rather than talk out of their arse with baseless 'facts' and 'trustworthy empirical data' like league tables.

Edit: Also, when you're 27 and looking for a promotion, who's going to look better, you with a first or the other prat with a 2:2 who's been working his but off to achieve the same level of understanding that you have?

I think your the ignorant one, thinking degree class matters more than university.
keep thinking that....no skin off my teeth.
Your just mad because York > RHUL
My propects are much better than yours.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by York10
I think your the ignorant one, thinking degree class matters more than university.

York is ****.

Spoiler

Original post by York10

I'll try not to get involved in a petty debate involving universities since you're obviously getting a kick out of this, but I'll amuse you for this post and this post only.

Your 'propects' are dependant on a multitude of variables, including but not limited to; subject, classification, location, chosen industry etc.

Fact is, there are far too many variables to promote choice of institution as absolutely paramount to a successful career. You can't successfully predict any outcome, nor can you hypothesise the probability that an event will happen with absolute certainty. That's a fact. That degree of error (excuse the pun) is called life, and it will get in the way of any sort of idealistic utopian dream, even if you think it's going to come true.
Reply 16
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I'll try not to get involved in a petty debate involving universities since you're obviously getting a kick out of this, but I'll amuse you for this post and this post only.

Your 'propects' are dependant on a multitude of variables, including but not limited to; subject, classification, location, chosen industry etc.

Fact is, there are far too many variables to promote choice of institution as absolutely paramount to a successful career. You can't successfully predict any outcome, nor can you hypothesise the probability that an event will happen with absolute certainty. That's a fact. That degree of error (excuse the pun) is called life, and it will get in the way of any sort of idealistic utopian dream, even if you think it's going to come true.

Yes I do know about other factors...

And I know a lot of people who work in finance including my brothers...and people judge you by which university you attended, believe it or not.

RHUL is an ok university, but it will not impress the employers at my brother’s work place.
People always see a 2.2 in physics from Imperial more respectable than a 2.1 from a university outside the top 20.

2.2 might not always get you into the front door, but there are other ways of getting in long as you went to a top university.
Reply 17
Entry requirements for the Big Four firms are minimum 2.1. Where the degree was obtained is technically irrelevant and won't affect your ability to get to interview/assessment centre stage.
Reply 18
Original post by Kemik
Entry requirements for the Big Four firms are minimum 2.1. Where the degree was obtained is technically irrelevant and won't affect your ability to get to interview/assessment centre stage.

Yes after the assessment even if you pass they will not be impressed with a degre from a former poly compared to a top 20.
Reply 19
Original post by York10
Yes after the assessment even if you pass they will not be impressed with a degre from a former poly compared to a top 20.

Makes no difference.

Feel free to continue to argue with me but I've been through the process, have the job, know fellow graduates on the scheme and similar Big Four schemes, and spoke to the partners.

Someone from a good Uni will probably be more business minded and that is one of the competencies they'll consider but they also consider a range of other factors such as teamwork. If you're someone who's up yourself and can't work with others you're not gonna get the job, even if you do have a 1st from Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending