The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The Official Glasgow Applicants 2012 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Emmi1
Hi, I'm wondering if there are any English students out there who are going to Glasgow. I have an offer for geography and Glasgow is my top choice however I'm still a bit wary of being an 'alien' - because I'm from a small town 400 miles away from Scotland!

Anyone else currently in or has been in this position, or know anyone who has? What do you think? Would it be easy enough to fit in? Cheers!

English? You'll be turned back at the border. No one is allowed in from further than 350 miles away.

Or alternatively, of course you'll be fine. Don't be silly.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Emmi1
Hi, I'm wondering if there are any English students out there who are going to Glasgow. I have an offer for geography and Glasgow is my top choice however I'm still a bit wary of being an 'alien' - because I'm from a small town 400 miles away from Scotland!

Anyone else currently in or has been in this position, or know anyone who has? What do you think? Would it be easy enough to fit in? Cheers!

I'm from Scotland originally but have lived in England for the past 6 years. I've lost my accent but never encountered any problems from anyone when visiting Scotland, even from people in my hometown who are supposedly very anti-English :-P
Original post by hannahbr
See you there my friend :wink:

Politics friend! :biggrin:
Reply 723
HA! Oooooh Glasgow friend!
Reply 724
HA! Oooooh Glasgow friend!

Well, Glasvegas friends, I just found some Freshers videos from last year: rejoice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0lnGi3j5o

P.S. I didn't know Glasgow University had a TV station (it's called GUST) :smile:
Reply 725
Original post by Emmi1

I went to cardiff uni first so some 450 miles from home, I knee nobody there from Scotland and neither were there any Scots on my course, it was fine. Although its nice having someone around from near home when you're do far away, its really not essential to you enjoying yourself as long as you put yourself out there and befriend the locals :P
Got put through to 'held applicants', should get something back soon but pretty sure it will a rejection considering what others with similar results have recieved D:
Reply 727
What is this 'held' applicants thing?
Original post by atticus_
Well, Glasvegas friends, I just found some Freshers videos from last year: rejoice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0lnGi3j5o

P.S. I didn't know Glasgow University had a TV station (it's called GUST) :smile:

Those videos are so frustrating, you cant hear the presenter people at all then the music blasts at you really loudly. :frown:
Reply 729
Has anybody heard anything from GCU for podiatry?
Original post by Emmi1

Another english student here! Well actually, I'm very almost scottish (I can see it from my house if I squint) but I have a ridiclusly english accent so that proably negates any location factor. From what I gather from my sister, if you stick to the right areas it's one of the most friendly and accepting places there is so don't be too worried :smile:
What is this 'held' applicants thing?

Its when you have enough to be considered but not enough for an automatic unconditional. They then get back to you in March when they can either give you an uncoditional offer, make you a conditional offer or reject you.

Im expecting a conditional/rejection any day now :tongue:
Reply 732
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Its when you have enough to be considered but not enough for an automatic unconditional. They then get back to you in March when they can either give you an uncoditional offer, make you a conditional offer or reject you.

Im expecting a conditional/rejection any day now :tongue:

Have hope!
offer for astrophysics, anyone know if I can change to theoretical when I get there? Not sure if I want to but it'd be nice to know
Reply 734
i guess so, the degree is quite flexible. i just firmed glasgow, i applied for physics but i want to do astrophysics as well. :biggrin:
Reply 735
Original post by Chihiro94
Another english student here! Well actually, I'm very almost scottish (I can see it from my house if I squint) but I have a ridiclusly english accent so that proably negates any location factor. From what I gather from my sister, if you stick to the right areas it's one of the most friendly and accepting places there is so don't be too worried :smile:

the uni is quite international, so dont worry. i doubt that even half of the people there are scottish. :biggrin: and everybody is so friendly. firmed glasgow today! :smile:
Reply 736
Just wondering if theres any accounting and finance international students out there wanting to go to Glasgow or even applied to Glasgow? Did you go to the A & F night yesterday?
Reply 737
Original post by isadoradoll
Well done! Yes, I am so excited! Just got my offer today for English Lit and French, just waiting for Edinburgh now but not holding out much hope :L

I think the university is gorgeous, but various people keep telling me Glasgow is super rough. Although I'm from Belfast, and have heard many people say it's too rough and urban, and I love it to pieces... I'll have to book my flight soon :smile:

me tooooo :smile: got an offer for English lit and drama. congratz guys
Original post by miamawia
me tooooo :smile: got an offer for English lit and drama. congratz guys

I received my offer to study English Literature in November. I'll definitely firm it as soon as I've received all my answers. (just waiting for Dundee and St Andrews - just curious- but Glasgow is the ideal place)
Reply 739
Got an offer for Spanish and French, can't believe it! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending