The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The Official Glasgow Applicants 2012 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pdk
Oh that's good then. I did the same - travelled from home when I went to Leeds for my previous degree :smile: I'm coming to do medicine - nervous but well excited! What about you? :smile:

I've got a friend doing medicine at Glasgow this year, I'm doing theoretical physics with astrophysics but I don't know anyone else on my course, I don't come from the smartest of schools lol. I am well excited about going!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 821
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Sorry to tell you but you'll need more than AS to get in. An A at As level is equivalent to a higher B/C and most course ask for AAABB at higher. You'll need like AAB at A levels to get in and I think applicants per place depends on the subject but this year 30'000 people applied for around 2'800 places

I know I'll need more than AS grades to get in, I was asking A level students. I'm surprised an A at A level is a B/C at highers, I had a look through past papers and they seem relatively basic in comparison
Original post by ev94
I know I'll need more than AS grades to get in, I was asking A level students. I'm surprised an A at A level is a B/C at highers, I had a look through past papers and they seem relatively basic in comparison

No an AS level A is the same as a higher B/C. An A level A is about the same as an advanced higher C. As I say you'll probs need AAB, what course were you thinking about doing anyway

Reply 823
I've got a friend doing medicine at Glasgow this year, I'm doing theoretical physics with astrophysics but I don't know anyone else on my course, I don't come from the smartest of schools lol. I am well excited about going!!

Oh right cool, that sounds tough to be. As much as I love Physics, I'm useless at it! Btw have you searched on facebook - may be someone has created a fb page for people doing theoretical physics with astrophysics at glasgow? Luckily we have a group both on fb and TSR, so already know few people, including few who'll be living in the same accommodation as mine! But not to worry though, there'll be people exactly in your situation so you'll know everyone in no time :smile: Lol I won't even talk about the school+uni I come from! haha
Reply 824
No an AS level A is the same as a higher B/C. An A level A is about the same as an advanced higher C. As I say you'll probs need AAB, what course were you thinking about doing anyway

Geography or Maths, wow highers must be really hard, do you find the entry system unfair then?
Reply 825
Original post by ev94
Just wondering, those of you who have offers - what AS grades did you get?

Also, how many applicants per place are there?

I got AABCE AS grades...

However, it's not the most helpful as I had special considerations from universities due to personal issues, so they were probably more lenient in looking at my predicted grades (A*A*BB). Hope it helps to some extent :smile:
Original post by ev94
Geography or Maths, wow highers must be really hard, do you find the entry system unfair then?

No not really, although you do 5 or 6 highers as opposed to 3 or 4 A levels there not in as much depth. Can I just say I wouldn't advise doing maths as a single subject as it is pretty useless on its own. What subjects are you doing anyway

Original post by pdk
Oh right cool, that sounds tough to be. As much as I love Physics, I'm useless at it! Btw have you searched on facebook - may be someone has created a fb page for people doing theoretical physics with astrophysics at glasgow? Luckily we have a group both on fb and TSR, so already know few people, including few who'll be living in the same accommodation as mine! But not to worry though, there'll be people exactly in your situation so you'll know everyone in no time :smile: Lol I won't even talk about the school+uni I come from! haha

Yeah I'll have a look. Mate I come from the most violent school in Scotland lol anywhere is better.

Reply 828
No not really, although you do 5 or 6 highers as opposed to 3 or 4 A levels there not in as much depth. Can I just say I wouldn't advise doing maths as a single subject as it is pretty useless on its own. What subjects are you doing anyway

Yeah, I'm a bit indifferent at doing maths, I just enjoy it.

Maths, Geography, English, Economics, hoping to carry on all 4 next year

oh and general
Original post by ev94
Yeah, I'm a bit indifferent at doing maths, I just enjoy it.

Maths, Geography, English, Economics, hoping to carry on all 4 next year

oh and general

That's sounds good. Well glasgows a great uni and well respected. It's in the nicest bit of Glasgow so I would seriously consider it as an option

Reply 830
Applied for History/Theatre Studies!

Just hope I got my grades :frown:
Reply 831
I just reached my offer !

I will be studying Mathematics/Economics :smile:

Just a question though, when does the semester 1 2012 end ? I need it to book my flights... Should I wait and just take a one way only ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 832
I've also made my French/Economics offer! My UCAS hasn't updated or anything; I heard the IB-results-sending thing is a bit unreliable so I'm hardly surprised. But at least I've got the grades. :biggrin:
MADE MY OFFER for Business Management with German Language ( 36 IB points ). YAAAY! :biggrin:
Original post by RockU
I just reached my offer !

I will be studying Mathematics/Economics :smile:

Just a question though, when does the semester 1 2012 end ? I need it to book my flights... Should I wait and just take a one way only ?

Congratulations on your place to study at Glasgow!

Semester 1 will finish on 14 December 2012, so you can book a flight home for that weekend if you want to try and get a really cheap flight now.

However, your exams could finish a week or so before that. It all depends on the exam timetable, which comes out around the beginning of November (if memory serves me correctly). I would personally wait for that and book a return flight home then.
I didn`t meet the entry requirements for Glasgow. Just found out that I got ABCC. Feeling pretty much totally crushed, since the possibility of Glasgow still accepting me with them is close to zero (and I`m being optimistic here). :frown:
I was really looking forward to it. Damn.
Original post by TaFrancoise
I didn`t meet the entry requirements for Glasgow. Just found out that I got ABCC. Feeling pretty much totally crushed, since the possibility of Glasgow still accepting me with them is close to zero (and I`m being optimistic here). :frown:
I was really looking forward to it. Damn.

What qualifications were those in and what were you applying too. Btw if it's physic you've got no chance my mates conditions were AAABB

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 837
Has anyone who took the IB had their conditional offers changed into an unconditional yet? Because I got the points I needed (yayyy!!), but I still haven't received any notification in Track or otherwise, and I'm becoming a bit worried that they haven't received my results for some reason.
Reply 838
Original post by lollero
Has anyone who took the IB had their conditional offers changed into an unconditional yet? Because I got the points I needed (yayyy!!), but I still haven't received any notification in Track or otherwise, and I'm becoming a bit worried that they haven't received my results for some reason.

Perhaps a late reply, but not yet! Has yours changed since you made that post? I'm writing them an email right now, I got given an address on my UCAS offer but I assumed the IB would have forwarded them the results / they would've received them and I wouldn't need it.

From tomorrow, I'm also in Kyrgyzstan till 18th August so I won't be able to reply to anything. I hope I don't need to! I'm assuming we get accommodation offers after our offer turns unconditional.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 839
i have applied for Mathematics (G100) and received an unconditional offer! Has anyone applied for the same course????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending