The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
That seems like a crazy site you've been on!

I'd say that if you want a bit of peace and quiet in your first year go for a college where there's only about 6 people to a kitchen. I went to County and had to share with 25 people which was pretty hectic - but still not as bad as those people are making it!

Now I've graduated and I'm an undergraduate secretary and I actually think Lancaster is a really good university.

Because Lancaster is quite a small town, a lot of its population are actually employed in education so it's actually quite a cool and 'green' place to live - if you bother to look under the surface!

I'd ignore those people. They clearly have a grudge against Lancaster for some reason. I can understand their complaints about the protesters (I know some of them by the way) but form the sounds of it they're just using all that as extra ammunition.

If you really want to get a feel of Lancaster you should check out the local community websites like http://www.lancasterukonline.net/
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
^what she said
never known anyone who seems to hate it so much and for no real reason.

historyhoney
I'm a bit confused. Does eveyrone really not want to work, drink all the time and play pranks? I hope not :smile:

as far as that goes i can help. People around hear do as much or little work as any uni. Remember it's University and work is up to the individual so it's not got much to do with the uni it's self. and if no one did work then why are the results so good?
And again it's a Uni so of course lots of people drink, i think that’s true of all of them. Proof of this is that I’m hung-over now :wink: .
Finally i have the bills to prove that people get up to plenty of pranks! just the other day i had to explain to the porters why me and 2 of my friends where dressed all in black with balaclavas on kidnapping a giant winnie the poo bear at 1am. Uni’s what you make of it and those people must have something wrong with them.
Reply 3
judge john
^what she said
never known anyone who seems to hate it so much and for no real reason.

as far as that goes i can help. People around hear do as much or little work as any uni. Remember it's University and work is up to the individual so it's not got much to do with the uni it's self. and if no one did work then why are the results so good?
And again it's a Uni so of course lots of people drink, i think that’s true of all of them. Proof of this is that I’m hung-over now :wink: .
Finally i have the bills to prove that people get up to plenty of pranks! just the other day i had to explain to the porters why me and 2 of my friends where dressed all in black with balaclavas on kidnapping a giant winnie the poo bear at 1am. Uni’s what you make of it and those people must have something wrong with them.

haha :smile: well I did notice the open day had an emphasis on drinking and drinking games! But obv. they were trying to appeal to a wide audience, I'm not planning to flat out work work work work, but at the same timeI'm not planning to drink myself broke either!
Reply 4
I'd say the majority dont drink all the time, most tend to work hard but also go out and drink 2 /3 times a week. Then there are others who dont go out at all or go out 7 nights a week.
Reply 5
I go out once or twice a week and even then I don't get totally wasted or whatever. I just like staying in and often I'm too tired to do anything anyway (read: I'm a lazy arse :p: ).

That site seemed really random, don't know what those people are on about.
Reply 6
Retardchar
I go out once or twice a week and even then I don't get totally wasted or whatever. I just like staying in and often I'm too tired to do anything anyway (read: I'm a lazy arse :p:).

That site seemed really random, don't know what those people are on about.

its wierd becuase the actual site the guide is really good and I used it a lot when first looking at uni's - it just seems to be the comments which are bad :s-smilie:
from looking at the style of responses, id say the majority of negative comments on that page were written by the same person. probably got some strange vendetta against the uni for some reason, or is just immature and hasent even been here, or wished he/she went here instead of somewhere else and wants to "GET REVENGE ON WORLD!!111"
Reply 8
historyhoney
its wierd becuase the actual site the guide is really good and I used it a lot when first looking at uni's - it just seems to be the comments which are bad :s-smilie:

Hi

I've been here for 4 years and it's ace! not joking!
The comments on that other site are probably from people who didn't research the uni properly or come to an open day. most people know as soon as they arrive for an open day - or throughout the day - if this is the place for them!

Come up and see us and we'll make you smile! Cheesy I know!

Helen
Reply 9
have to say that I came to an open day in lancaster and i was v impressed- evry1 was so friendly and helpful! eng department a bit grotty tho :s but over all a welcoming atmosphere :biggrin:
Reply 10
Lancaster has been my first choice for ages but a few things are really putting me off!

1) I didn't attend the English Language talk at the open day (originally applied for media and got it swapped) People from the uni hinted that the English department was boring :s-smilie: and seemed really surprised that i would even be interested in the department!
2) Also, this thread is a bit off-putting couppled with the fact that Lancaster has the highest suicide rate in the UK, or so i've been told! (kind of worries me!)
3) People on here seem to think the ENglish department is grotty and some of the lecturers are boring

Sorry for this post i guess its a bit of a worried rant lol
Reply 11
that's wot's worrying me a liccle bit too. ive applied to do eng lit but nobody's told me it's fantastic. and have to say the talk on the open day was dire, altho it wasnt by an eng tutor, so i duno if it wud be fair to judge the department based on that. doubt the suicide thing's true, probs wind-up merchants and the drop-out rate's quite low. plus the campus is lovely. that's all i know.
Reply 12
my history teacher told me about the suicide thing, tho told me not to worry.i also got told that stirling had the highest suicide rate, where i've also applied. we'l all stick together, it'l be fine
Reply 13
Yeh i thought the campus was really nice and the halls,college system and bars were too.

I think the suicide thing is true! Theres this particular building that alot of people go to to commit suicide - Bowland Tower

So who was the talk lead by? Did they mention English Language? English Lit is supposed to be pretty good at Lancaster (league tables etc)
The suicide rate as far as ive been told is sort of true....but only because you used to be able to get access to Bowland Tower roof (is it Furness now?)...its now been blocked and has for a few years. The rate was high because a few people did it within a few years of each other... rumour were they were drunk and fell not that they intended to harm themselves..... but thats just rumours.
Reply 15
Wow, I have a perfect view of Bowland Tower from my window (looking at it now :p: ) I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. If I see anyone drop I'll let you all know! :biggrin: It's quite a drop from up there, hehe
Hmmm ive never been into the tower but im told there is a great view of the Lakes from there on a clear day

The other common rumour is that its possible to run on the covered spine roof from one end of campus to another (obviously not including the Alexandra park area as it wasnt built when I first came and heard the rumour)

Obviously its a stupid thing to try and do! Just zig zag along in the rain like the rest of us do....why didnt they cover the whole path anyway, do they understand how annoying it is to keep having to move over, dont they understand that it rains a lot here :biggrin:
English lit isn't boring, people! If you like the subject, you enjoy reading and you're able to use your mouth to discuss in seminars then you'll enjoy it as much as I am. Frankly, for the first few weeks of term I had no friends and no social life to speak of and it was actually the course that stopped me from dropping out. So there you go! :biggrin:

--------------

why didnt they cover the whole path anyway, do they understand how annoying it is to keep having to move over, dont they understand that it rains a lot here

I think that ALL THE TIME! I always think I must look like a right gimp meandering from one side to the other, hahahaha. :biggrin:
Reply 18
There was a time when that page had lots of very positive comments on it, but these seem to have been squeezed out by the vitriol posted - I think Browzer-911 is right - by one person with a particular grudge. There was an earlier collection of negative posts about the Computer Science department, again apparently put there by one individual with a major grievance. Another site you might like to look at instead, and which has several positive reviews of Lancaster, is www.studential.com. Finally, the students coming out of Lancaster last year rated it highly enough to put it in the top ten for teaching quality, and the drop out rate is one of the lowest going outside Oxbridge, which taken together suggest that generally speaking Lancaster is a place where people like to be. If it feels right for you, go for it.
Reply 19
Thank you everyone, those comments are really helpful. am looking forward to returning on the visit day, maybe see some of u there.

Latest

Trending

Trending