The Student Room Group

Not sure on career choices - should I do 5 A Levels?

Hello,
Basically I am completely unsure on what I want to do when I grow up, but my teachers say I could do anything with my grades - I am predicted 12A* and one B(in Chinese so I don't count it:P).
I don't know whether I want to work in maths or science or maybe a lawyer. Maybe even something completely different! Possibly a doctor. I have absolutely no idea.
So, by my reckoning I need to do maths and further maths to have maths as a main career choice.
Then, if I want to carry on with science or be a doctor, I need to do 2 Sciences. I will probably do Chemistry and Physics, but may swap one over for Biology.
Then, to be a lawyer, I need to do an essay subject, and as I can't stand English Lang or Lit, it would have to be History.
That adds up to 5 AS Levels. I would probably drop at least 1 for A2, as hopefully by then I would have a better idea on what I want to do.

Would it be awful for me to do 5 ASs? Physics and Maths would overlap as I would be doing mechanics, and if I swapped for Biology I would do statistics, and Maths and Further Maths would overlap somewhat.

How hard would it be? Would you advise taking 5? If not, which would you drop?
Thanks
If you want to be a Lawyer then you don't NEED any specific subjects. You can do it with Chemistry, Biology, Physics and maths if you wish.

You also don't NEED to do F.Maths to study Maths; it's helpful but not essential. Having Maths and Physics is just as beneficial.

There are no statistics modules in Biology, I don't know where you got that from.

There is very little point in doing more that 4 subjects at A-Level. No university asks for more than 4. This forum is full of people that say that doing 5 subjects was a mistake. All it does is make it slightly harder for you to achieve the best possible grades.

Universities would always prefer AAAA to ABBBB
I did Maths, fmaths, biology, physics and history for exactly this reason (and some timetable issues)!
I found that doing further made regular Maths really easy so that wasn't a problem. Also, there is only a tiny bit of statistics in biology, so definitely do M1, physics is mostly Maths at AS (mine was, anyway), so mechanics is incredibly useful!
It's quite a lot of work, but most of mine came from history (lots of essays) and I would say go for it if you want! It might not be necessary but it's certainly doable and you CAN get As in all 5, despite what most people say!!

Quick Reply

Latest