The Student Room Group

Is a career in accountancy worth it if you have no passion for it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rascacielos
Indeed, but the OP was asking about whether a career in accountacy is worth it... presumably then, he/she is planning on pursuing it as a job.

Indeed, but you assumed this was for life.
Does anyone have a passion for accountancy? It's a boring job, but a lot of jobs are boring, and at least this one pays well.

On the other hand if you find the material difficult then maybe you're not cut out for it. It's mostly GCSE maths.

simstar88
Once you start a career like accountancy you don't have to stick with it, could go into banking, investment management, private equity or just take a radical change, knowing about finance isn't sentencing you to a life of accounting.

I'm doing the ACA at the moment, but I don't plan on being an accountant.

I hope you don't expect to become a banker, or work in private equity. Those jobs are at least a whole rung more competitive, and private equity isn't really graduate level at all. ACA on its own will be an impediment if anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Does anyone have a passion for accountancy? It's a boring job, but a lot of jobs are boring, and at least this one pays well.

On the other hand if you find the material difficult then maybe you're not cut out for it. It's mostly GCSE maths.

I hope you don't expect to become a banker, or work in private equity. Those jobs are at least a whole rung more competitive, and private equity isn't really graduate level at all. ACA on its own will be an impediment if anything.

You don't really know much do you?

There are specific ACA recently qualified schemes at banks e.g. Barclays Capital

I audit investment management and private equity, specifically, no other firms, I see plenty of ACA qualified working at these places.

ACA is not an impediment, I can't believe I'm replying to this your IQ must actually be nearing the retarded score?
Original post by simstar88
You don't really know much do you?

There are specific ACA recently qualified schemes at banks e.g. Barclays Capital

I audit investment management and private equity, specifically, no other firms, I see plenty of ACA qualified working at these places.

ACA is not an impediment, I can't believe I'm replying to this your IQ must actually be nearing the retarded score?

You can work as an accountant at a bank or a private equity firm. That's not the same as being 'a banker' or 'in private equity'. It's like how you can be a security guard at NASA but that doesn't make you an astronaut.
Reply 44
You can work as an accountant at a bank or a private equity firm. That's not the same as being 'a banker' or 'in private equity'. It's like how you can be a security guard at NASA but that doesn't make you an astronaut.

Yes you can, although that is not what I said. I know it as I have friends and regularly hear of others who have made the move from big four, to investment banking and also private equity. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.....mr expert, oh wait, you're 21 LOL.
Yes you can, although that is not what I said. I know it as I have friends and regularly hear of others who have made the move from big four, to investment banking and also private equity. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.....mr expert, oh wait, you're 21 LOL.

Yes, in second tier roles. It's not hard to get a job 'at a bank', but no bank is hiring people with 3 years of accountancy experience into IBD or trading.
Reply 46
Yes, in second tier roles. It's not hard to get a job 'at a bank', but no bank is hiring people with 3 years of accountancy experience into IBD or trading.

Yes they are hiring people with ACA into IBD and trading.:wink: Naive.
Reply 47

lol you.mad.. i pity the fool who chats **** about things they don't know
Yes they are hiring people with ACA into IBD and trading.:wink: Naive.

I'm sure it's possible. People have got in from operations which is effectively data entry. The question is, why hire you rather than 10s of thousands of other people with ACAs, or a fresh graduate who may be better? It only happens in case of people who clearly were credible candidates right out of university, but took a wrong turn for whatever reason.
Reply 49
I'm sure it's possible. People have got in from operations which is effectively data entry. The question is, why hire you rather than 10s of thousands of other people with ACAs, or a fresh graduate who may be better? It only happens in case of people who clearly were credible candidates right out of university, but took a wrong turn for whatever reason.

No, it really doesn't, you're just an absolute fool.

so here you have two choices:

Oxford grad with ACA and 3 years of financial experience.

Oxford grad with no financial experience.

Oh wait did you just get destroyed? Yes you did....
Reply 50
shuddup foo' "
DynamicSyngery"
No, it really doesn't, you're just an absolute fool.

so here you have two choices:

Oxford grad with ACA and 3 years of financial experience.

Oxford grad with no financial experience.

Oh wait did you just get destroyed? Yes you did....

3 years of accountancy experience. That says to me that he either failed to get into banking first time or didn't know about it and drifted into a career he doesn't like. Cet. par., the fresh grad looks better on paper. I might still hire the accountant since cet. it rarely ever par., but he would have to be more impressive at that point than when he had left university, and most accountants are less impressive or they would been able to do something better.
3 years of accountancy experience. That says to me that he either failed to get into banking first time or didn't know about it and drifted into a career he doesn't like. Cet. par., the fresh grad looks better on paper. I might still hire the accountant since cet. it rarely ever par., but he would have to be more impressive at that point than when he had left university, and most accountants are less impressive or they would been able to do something better.

You reckon a ACA qualified accountant whose spent 3 years in one sector analysing financial data is going to be beaten into something like equity research by the same spotty graduate?

I wouldn't have thought so...

The view on TSR is somewhat distorted. Unemployment at our age is about 20%, if you can get a job then you should take it. Its pretty hard to feed a family on happiness and whether you enjoy your role will come down more to your personal attitude than whether the job is tedious.

Look at graduate recruitment stats too when you consider. The big 4 are taking around 4500 grads between them this year. The big boys in IB are taking about 300 each (inc back/middle office and if they're hiring at all). Assume half those positions will go to interns and its looking pretty dire. Then also consider that about 300000 people will graduate each year from just the UK (and banks are very multi-national). The guys that do get into IB are really at the top of the game, and suddenly the accountants don't come off so bad.

Moral: apply everywhere, take offer.
(edited 12 years ago)

Simstar88 is right - you really are a clown.

Myself and many of my ex-colleagues moved from big4 after ACA qualification into front office banking.

ACA is definately a plus but recruitment is based on the individual.
Original post by Idrink2muchcoffee
Yeah I applied for a PGCE but got turned down. I'm from Northern Ireland and they limit the number of places in the course here.

well, why dont you move? I mean a friend is doing a PGCE and Im sure you can get on one somewhere else. I wouldnt bother doing accountancy if you dont enjoy it.
Original post by Samtheman1
Simstar88 is right - you really are a clown.

Myself and many of my ex-colleagues moved from big4 after ACA qualification into front office banking.

ACA is definately a plus but recruitment is based on the individual.

Thanks for this- it's nice to hear considering I'm thinking of the two of them!
Keep dreaming - just realise that everyone in accounting would switch if they could and there are far fewer places than applicants.
Keep dreaming - just realise that everyone in accounting would switch if they could and there are far fewer places than applicants.

Haha - what a ridiculous person you are. There are fewer places than applicants in probably every aspect of financial services, if that wasnt the case then there wouldnt be a job market.

Also, has it not occured to you that the majority of accountants are accountants because they want to be. Trust me mate, they are not all sitting in Big4 firms wishing they had attained the 'holy grail' of banking.

Everyone who qualified with me and wanted front office banking got it.
Original post by Samtheman1
Also, has it not occured to you that the majority of accountants are accountants because they want to be.
No. And that's not just my opinion, but the opinion of everyone I know who does it.
Original post by Cloven Angel
no, you will die from absolute boredom if you have no interest in it ... this is especially true for accountancy and finance work. You'll look back years down the road and wonder why you wasted the prime of your life doing such an incredibly dull job.

I did it for 3 1/2 years and I just couldn't stand it anymore so quit one afternoon(right in the office, just after lunch) and went back to full-time study to finally pursue the career I always wanted to do.

I did exactly the same, but only stuck it for one year (the most miserable of my life.) It is a job which is great for those who like it and terrible for those who aren't in tune with it. Good move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending