The Student Room Group

Very Homesick, should I stay at uni?

I turned 18 in June and started university last week. I've had fresher's week and just started my classes today. Although I have literally the best flatmates I could ask for, and we've become very close and I feel I can talk to them about anything, I'm feeling really, really homesick. Some times are worse than others, for example it seems to better in the evening but really bad in the morning and throughout the day. I wasn't able to fully enjoy fresher's week because I was just so homesick all the time.
I've lost my appetite and although I force myself to eat, I'm never really hungry. I thought that once I started lectures I would feel better because I'd have a routine and something to concentrate on, but in my first lecture earlier I felt just as awful as I've been feeling all week and that made it really hard to concentrate.
I don't know whether I'd be enjoying uni more if I wasn't feeling homesick, as I simply can't imagine ever not feeling this way whilst I'm here, and I know I can't stand 4 years of feeling like this. I wasn't expecting to feel this way as I've never really good homesick before - for example, I went away for 6 weeks with my friend, and didn't miss my parents once or feel homesick in all that time.
This has made me question whether it's really just homesickness, or whether it's something else too, like I'm unsure whether uni is where I really want to be. I only ever thought about uni as an after school option, as I did well at school and automatically assumed I would like uni. But I don't, so what should I do?
I'm going to try and stick it out until Christmas, but if I'm still feeling as bad as I am now, should I drop out? Could the homesickness be a sign that I'm simply too young to be ready to move out yet, and that maybe I will be more ready next year, once I have grown up a bit? Or would having a gap year at home, perhaps getting a job, make it worse? Obviously I know I have to move out sometime, but I'm really questioning whether I'm actually ready right now, as only 4 months ago I was still 17! Does anyone have any advice for me? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe I should also add that I haven't told my parents I'm feeling this way yet, as I haven't felt like I could phone them without bursting into tears and worrying them. I've been texting and emailing them, but I haven't told them about how homesick I am. My mum is coming to visit me this weekend though, and I plan on telling her how I'm feeling then to see what advice she has, but I think she'll tell me to stick it out until Christmas.
Reply 2
I do advise that you call them. When I was away from home for a week, it did make me feel better to hear their voice and feel a bit like I was at home again.

You probably feel a little stressed as you've realised you've flown the nest (sorry, didn't mean that to rhyme) pretty much for good. I'd say embrace your journey onto adulthood and all your new-found independence may look a little bit more exciting.

Have fun at university!
How far from home are you? maybe you'd be better off in a uni closer to home so you could commute, or only be a stone's throw from home if you did move out? Homesickness does get better as you find your feet, so I would say it's too early to make any decisions now, but bear those options in mind if you still can't hack it come Christmas.
Reply 4
Would going home for the weekend now and then be a possibility? That's what I did - I didn't feel that I'd really settled into uni when I got there. It *does* get better though. I think the 'stick it out til Christmas' is good advice, and try and sort out a couple of weekends at home as well if you can :smile:
I felt exactly like this during the first week, but honestly it does get better. You'll stop feeling homesick soon, and then you'll be able to evaluate your feelings about the place and the course a lot better.
just give it a chance until you settle in, you'll forget all about home. loads of people feel like this, most don't drop out because of it.
Reply 7
Don't give up before you've barely given uni a chance! I was about the same age as you last year (I turned 18 in the june before my first year too) and I was worried sick about going to university.
You'll soon realise that you new friends are your new family too!
Just get your head down to some work during the day and enjoy yourself during the night. Moping about thinking about home won't do you any favours!
:console: Poor you. I felt a little like this as well. My advice, keep going (I've been here a month now and although I don't love it or anything I'm planning on getting through it). And remember, if after 6 weeks you still feel like this you can go home without it costing you anything for your tutition fees. Good lukc :h:
I call my mum in tears nearly everyday and I'm 19. Stay at uni, things will get easier, the homesickness will ease. Why not in a few weeks visit home? It will be nice to have that to look forward to.
Reply 10
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
How far from home are you? maybe you'd be better off in a uni closer to home so you could commute, or only be a stone's throw from home if you did move out? Homesickness does get better as you find your feet, so I would say it's too early to make any decisions now, but bear those options in mind if you still can't hack it come Christmas.

I'm 4 hours away from home, so going home for weekends is not that easy. I think that maybe going to the local uni would be easier for me, or a uni close enough so I can commute and go home at weekends. The thing is, if I'm really ready for something, I usually find it easy to do and enjoy it. Should this be the same with uni?
Original post by FrankiieeC
I'm 4 hours away from home, so going home for weekends is not that easy. I think that maybe going to the local uni would be easier for me, or a uni close enough so I can commute and go home at weekends. The thing is, if I'm really ready for something, I usually find it easy to do and enjoy it. Should this be the same with uni?

Not necessarily - uni is HUGE, a massive step to take in your life, a massive step towards growing up and being independent from your parents. I did a year abroad last year and spent the vast majority of it wanting to go home, but I stuck it out and certainly don't regret it. I reckon a 4 hour trip could be doable for a weekend home - if you left after your last lecture friday and came back to uni on a sunday evening, and brought stuff to do on the train (work and such like) it could be quite productive, rather than sitting in halls thinking about leaving.

Try to stick it out, I think you'll be okay :smile:
Reply 12
Is there anyone here who has dropped out of uni? Do you regret it? Or do you think you made the right decision? and what did you do once you'd dropped out? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:
Reply 13

Not necessarily - uni is HUGE, a massive step to take in your life, a massive step towards growing up and being independent from your parents. I did a year abroad last year and spent the vast majority of it wanting to go home, but I stuck it out and certainly don't regret it. I reckon a 4 hour trip could be doable for a weekend home - if you left after your last lecture friday and came back to uni on a sunday evening, and brought stuff to do on the train (work and such like) it could be quite productive, rather than sitting in halls thinking about leaving.

Try to stick it out, I think you'll be okay :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I'll try going home and see if it makes things better or worse :smile: The only problem is the cost, which means I can't do it often. But I'll see and make the final decision at Christmas :smile:
Original post by FrankiieeC
Thanks for the advice, I'll try going home and see if it makes things better or worse :smile: The only problem is the cost, which means I can't do it often. But I'll see and make the final decision at Christmas :smile:

Do you get a reading week? Maybe you could go home for that?
Reply 15
Do you get a reading week? Maybe you could go home for that?

No I don't :frown:
I'll tell you how I felt.. I felt like this in my first week and wanted to drop out. Even though I had made good friends and was having fun all I ever wanted was to be home. I spoke to my parents about it who said stick it out until Christmas, after Christmas I was apprehensive about going back but I went because we would be getting all our coursework results. I still wasn't 100% happy but did stick it out. I'm in my second year now and I'm only here for my course, when I should be here for friends etc. And I really wish that I had left in the first few weeks when my gut feeling told me to do so because now I've got no choice but to carry on here when I'm not really happy.

Although for some people it will get better and you have only been there just over a week. If you keep busy and join societies then hopefully it will get better for you don't just go by my experience.
Reply 17
Hey I'm a young 18 as well (birthday was only in August) and I feel pretty much the same as you, homesick and unsure if I'm really ready for what I'm doing right now. I never really was particularly excited about Uni, I didn't even want to think about it tbh and in hindsight I think I should have deferred a year but felt under too much pressure with my friends all going away and with the fees rising. I know what you mean about not eating, I barely eat anything here, I've pretty much just had 2 "meals" (often meaning just a pasty or something) and that's it and I have to force myself to make those because I'm never really in the mood for it. I just feel like I shouldn't be here right now and it's hindering me with my work because I really can't motivate myself and for meeting new people.

My plan is to give it another 2-3 weeks then I'm going to go visit my parents (although it's a 4 hour drive for me too :tongue:) and talk to them about it, see what they say, and I might seek some advice from the Uni. People always say to stick it out until Christmas but if I did drop out I'd want to reapply next year when I'm more ready and to a Uni closer to home and leaving it until Christmas might make this difficult so I dunno :/
Reply 18
Original post by BabyGirl92
I'll tell you how I felt.. I felt like this in my first week and wanted to drop out. Even though I had made good friends and was having fun all I ever wanted was to be home. I spoke to my parents about it who said stick it out until Christmas, after Christmas I was apprehensive about going back but I went because we would be getting all our coursework results. I still wasn't 100% happy but did stick it out. I'm in my second year now and I'm only here for my course, when I should be here for friends etc. And I really wish that I had left in the first few weeks when my gut feeling told me to do so because now I've got no choice but to carry on here when I'm not really happy.

Although for some people it will get better and you have only been there just over a week. If you keep busy and join societies then hopefully it will get better for you don't just go by my experience.

Thanks, that's actually been really helpful because you sound sort of like me. When I don't go with my gut feeling I tend to regret it, and I don't want to stay at uni if I'm going to be miserable, especially when I could still be seeing my friends from uni if I'm at home, and I'd be able to fully enjoy being around them. Sorry to ask another question, but if you had dropped out last year, would you have gone to uni again the next year, or would you have done something different?
Reply 19
Original post by bronc.
Hey I'm a young 18 as well (birthday was only in August) and I feel pretty much the same as you, homesick and unsure if I'm really ready for what I'm doing right now. I never really was particularly excited about Uni, I didn't even want to think about it tbh and in hindsight I think I should have deferred a year but felt under too much pressure with my friends all going away and with the fees rising. I know what you mean about not eating, I barely eat anything here, I've pretty much just had 2 "meals" (often meaning just a pasty or something) and that's it and I have to force myself to make those because I'm never really in the mood for it. I just feel like I shouldn't be here right now and it's hindering me with my work because I really can't motivate myself and for meeting new people.

My plan is to give it another 2-3 weeks then I'm going to go visit my parents (although it's a 4 hour drive for me too :tongue:) and talk to them about it, see what they say, and I might seek some advice from the Uni. People always say to stick it out until Christmas but if I did drop out I'd want to reapply next year when I'm more ready and to a Uni closer to home and leaving it until Christmas might make this difficult so I dunno :/

It's true that reapplying after xmas would be difficult, but it might be easier for us as we've already got definite A Level results? I'm not sure though.
I'm going to do the same as you and talk it over with my family this weekend, as they are the people that know you best (apart from yourself :tongue:) I'll post here after I've talked with them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending