Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most reliable laptops brands

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I came across this site and was not surprised of the findings.
    One out of three laptops will fail, and that Asus and Toshiba laptops have the lowest failure rates, while Acer, Gateway, and HP have higher than average failure rates.

And apple laptops comes 4th after Sony.

In the order of Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Apple, Dell.......

Considering the huge price tag of apple laptops and only being the 4th most reliable is outrageous.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10400447-1.html

I have a Toshiab R630 with i5, only weighs 1.4 kg got it last year and I am still amazed how good it still is.
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/to...view-50000725/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have had Both Sony and HP laptops and haven't had any problems with any of them, athlough I haven't had any new laptops in the past couple of years so quality may have changed since. I also use ASUS Motherboards and I know they are pretty good, so I would assume their laptops are good too.

My mate had a pretty expensive Toshiba, I think it was about £1200 with a i7 Quad. The cooling system failed and it went back to toshiba to be repaired. Within a week of it coming back it had failed again. He took it back to PC World and after a bit of pursuading they eventually let him swap it for a Dell XPS.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had my Dell Inspiron 1720 for around 3 and a half years now and I have not had many problems with it (apart from the VGA Port not working but that was a few days after I first bought it) and since then there has been no issues whatsoever.

Although I must admit that it can overheat due to a build up of dust in the machine. So every 6 months I would have to take it apart, clear the dust out and apply new thermal grease to the CPU if required and then it'd be good to go. But IMO, Laptops will always suffer from overheating due to the way its been built with little space for vents as opposed to Towers. But it should be ok if you look after it and give it a good clean once every 6 months if it does suffer from overheating
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Electronics wise, its all much of a muchness, just go for the one that that seems the most robust as this generally donates quality of build. As iceman has said, they need a good cleaning out every so often. Even if its just a can of compressed air down its vents every couple of weeks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    APPLE
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO lenovo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo, IBM.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, your life's work seems to be to spout your uneducated opinion about technology onto these forums.

Can you
    A-Furnish us with a source for your 'failure rates'
    B-Not encourage the use of worthless anecdotes as a reliable benchmark for technology.
    C-Explain to me how reliability is the only measure of w products overall perceived value?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    OP, your life's work seems to be to spout your uneducated opinion about technology onto these forums.
    Not just technology. He made a thread ranting about how York is so underrated. I think it's just uneducated opinions fullstop.

At least he's got no hidden agenda (his bias is like a slap in the face with a wet fish it's so obvious).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got an Acer. It's failed me once, a few months ago, the AC Jack thing that you plug the battery into the laptop to was loose and I didn't realise it. Eventually it detached itself from the motherboard. So yeah, I couldn't charge the laptop at all. Took only a week for a fix though. Apart from that all is well, going onto the 4th year now.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    IMO lenovo
    Cheap chinese rubbish, and looks ugly and it is not the most reliable, it comes 6th.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo & Apple, only two brands I'd touch for portable devices.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all about ASUS in my opinion!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AberLAD)
    Lenovo & Apple, only two brands I'd touch for portable devices.
    Stupid.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ple.4th.place/
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo, IBM, and Toshiba.

Had a Toshiba, lasted almost infinitely, in the end I killed it.
    Had an Asus, had literally hundreds of trips to repair centers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is no better study than a primary one done by the user (consumer). I have used numerous machines over the years as a comp sci student and in my personal experience I have found Apple and Lenovo to make the most durable portable devices. I will stick with that. Any study can say anything, its down, as usual, to how it best fits the users needs and their own judgement as people all have different levels of what they expect and how well they judge something.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Toshiba is running sweet still
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to repair laptops and the ones that I would see on a regular basis, that had genuine faults, were from HP and Acer. ASUS branded laptops were the rare ones.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no better study than a primary one done by the user (consumer). I have used numerous machines over the years as a comp sci student and in my personal experience I have found Apple and Lenovo to make the most durable portable devices. I will stick with that. Any study can say anything, its down, as usual, to how it best fits the users needs and their own judgement as people all have different levels of what they expect and how well they judge something.
    Bolded part - lol.

Rest -
    Your sample is too small to draw any inferences from. You can say that your Apple or Lenovo has lasted the longest, not that a Lenovo or Apple can reasonably be expected to last the longest.

I don't care if you're a CS student, doesn't make your sample any more valid.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahahahaa.

Whilst customer satisfaction numbers are nice; the plural of anecdote is not "data".

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 26, 2013
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.