The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

120 credits +Full Time Work

Hello,

I'm considering applying to the OU to study for the BA(Hons) Combined Social Sciences degree.

I'd ideally like to gain my degree in three years, meaning I'd have to take 120 credits a year, however I currently work 40 hours a week and have a commute each way to work which really eats into my time.

Is it possible to keep up with the workload of 120 credits a year? Also could I start a 60 credit module and then overlap with another 60 credit module later in the year, meaning I get 120 credits each year without taking a full workload at once, and gaining the credits in 12 months as opposed to the 9 months if i took the credits all at once?

Thanks
Reply 1
Deffo possible. I am currently being put through another degree with work. Have done 60 creds APR to Oct ( exams this week ) and could do 60 more Nov to APR. Thing is though I am only going to take one 30 cred module for the next 6 months to make it more manageable as there is only so much studying at lunch time I can do !

I dont know what your commitments a outside of work but I have a child and a dog and a house and I just find it difficult to sit a study which invariably will impact on my grades. So if I reduce work load I will probably do better, although this isn't my first degree so I'm not so concerned on the outcome.

Basically it is possible but just consider the time you have available before hand and where you will fit it in, make sure you are studying something you enjoy and are committed to and see if your work will support with study leave.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I definitely recommend starting with 60 points at first and seeing how you cope with that. I did 80 points for my first two years at level 1 and 2, and now I'm onto the serious business end at level 3 I'm finding it hard to cope with 20 points at a time! (Technically I work part time, but I have two jobs and most weeks I end up doing 6 days a week...)

However everyone's different, and you may find you cope much better (or worse!) than this.
Reply 3
Original post by Elouber
Is it possible to keep up with the workload of 120 credits a year?

Yes, but it is challenging, especially if working full-time. Courses that start in the same month will usually have assignments due in at very similar times. If there are examinations, they will also be within a few days of each other, which can impact on your revision time.

Original post by Elouber

Also could I start a 60 credit module and then overlap with another 60 credit module later in the year, meaning I get 120 credits each year without taking a full workload at once, and gaining the credits in 12 months as opposed to the 9 months if i took the credits all at once?

Yes, depending on the courses - some start in January/February/May, some start in October/November - you'll have to check the start dates. If you're working full time I'd recommend doing the overlap later in the year, as it'll mean a hectic few months as opposed to a hectic 9 months.
Reply 4
It's possible but it also really depends on what course you're doing. For example, if you wanted a Computing & IT degree (like me!) there aren't any 60 point level 3 modules you could do and all of the 30 point modules only start in Jan or Feb, which could make for a very busy time. You'll need to look into the modules available and consider how you could split them up, e.g. level 1 & 2 in the first year, then a mixture of all 3 levels, then another mixture in the third year, so you have less pressure. If you could manage to get a level 1 module in each year then that would be helpful as they don't count towards your grade so you'd only need to pass those. However, some level 2/3 modules require the past experience and knowledge from level 1/2 modules, so again, you'd really need to think about the order.

Some people just can't cope with 120 points a year of study at all. Some do fine, and some just about manage with a lot of organisation. I've been doing 90 points a year whilst working full time and could have managed 120 of level 1 and 2, although I really wouldn't have wanted two exams in the same period (and have organised my study so I won't have that)...haven't yet started my level 3 modules but I'm splitting those over my last two years (taking me 4 years in total to get my degree) which I'm hoping I'll manage with fine.
Reply 5
So with the OU do you work at your own pace?

I mean I know it says that 60 credits take 9 months to complete, however if I were to really work at it could I do this a little quicker, or do I have to stick to a certain timetable for each module?
Reply 6
Original post by Elouber
So with the OU do you work at your own pace?

I mean I know it says that 60 credits take 9 months to complete, however if I were to really work at it could I do this a little quicker, or do I have to stick to a certain timetable for each module?

You can submit assignments early if you want, yes. They won't get marked before the deadline to hand them in though. You could (in theory) submit every assignment early and finish it in 6 months, but the course itself will continue to run the 9 months, so you won't really gain any benefit by doing so (especially if you overwork yourself). I personally intend to submit my assignments early for the B120 course I start in November, otherwise I'll be on 3 courses at the same time for a few months. It will be a lot easier to submit assignments early on a Level 1 course than it would be on a Level 3, so keep in mind the difficulty of the course you are choosing.
I did 120 points while working full-time, but you have to be very organised, and have pretty much no social life.
Deffo possible I'm 120 credits and part time work. :smile:
Reply 9
I'm doing 120 from next year so I can finish 1 year early, minus the 2 extra modules unless i add them to the degree.

I'll be doing two 60 points and one 60 points in one year and two 60 points in final year.

Quick Reply

Latest