The Student Room Group

The incredible shrinking foods

Scroll to see replies

I don't think its anything to do with calories or healthy eating. It's a more subtle way of putting the price up.
Reply 21
I once counted how many crisps there were in my walkers bag. I got to the grand total of 13!
Reply 22
I use to work in A Cash and Carry and the Sales Reps for Cadburys, Mars ect use to say the reason the chocolate bars look smaller is because our hands are bigger. Its a load of rubbish.
Jelly Tots :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by Uzzy?
I once counted how many crisps there were in my walkers bag. I got to the grand total of 13!

:eek:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Lion bars now only seem to fill 2 thirds of their own wrappers these days.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs have also shrunk yet have steadily increased in price. I remember when you could get them double the size, 3 for 99p. Those were the days... :daydreaming:

Ive actually had Lion Bars here in the US. When I worked at a small chain grocery in Virginia, around 2005 to 2007, they had it in the foreign foods section along with Bounty and Yorkies:biggrin:. I enjoyed it, but I moved to another state for work, but no stores around seem to have much British Chocolate except for Cadbury.

And on topic, the same thing is happening here in the US with candy and chocolate, and noticeably corn chips like Doritoes and potato chips like Lays. As with your bags of Crisps Im sure, the bag is usually only half filled with the rest being air:rolleyes:

Yet for some reason, two chocolate distributors like Lindt, and Ghirardeli still package rather large portions of chocolate, particularly the "premiım" chocolate bars. While Godiva has always had small bars, and bite candies.
Reply 26
yeah iv noticed it with a few things, cant remember a lot of them off top of my head but cadburys creme eggs have definately shrunk, so have wagon wheels, its annoying.
Original post by Zebracolors
And on topic, the same thing is happening here in the US with candy and chocolate, and noticeably corn chips like Doritoes and potato chips like Lays. As with your bags of Crisps Im sure, the bag is usually only half filled with the rest being air:rolleyes:

Yep, it's the same here, Doritos and Walkers (the UK version of Lays) are the worst for having like 10 crisps per 45g bag. Multipack bags are even worse!
Reply 28
This one's been around for a while, but has anyone noticed that Cornettos (and own label equivalents) are now shorter? The piece of cardboard on the top used to touch the ice cream - now there's a gap of about a centimetre! :sad:
Reply 29
Original post by bax121
This really annoys me they try to make the nutritional content of a 'portion' of junk food appear better by making it smaller. I now eat healthily by and large but do occasionally like a bit of junk I don't want piddly amounts of the stuff when I want to indulge.

Its the whole healthification of junk food that annoys me like 'new ingredients same great taste' piss off it doesn't taste anywhere near as good and its still more or less just bad for you so you may as well eat it how it was originally intended to be enjoyed.

Those of us like me (now) who eat well generally are the ones who suffer from this junk food healthification as now when we have a treat we have worse tasting smaller portions of junk whereas the people with the self control problem (fatties) will still just eat and eat and eat the junk it doesn't help anyone.

/rant

Also I saw an advert for a new bigger sharing Pringle tube today, I bet its the same size as a regular tube was a few years back.

I couldn't agree more! You totally spoke my mind! It is quite depressing when I think back to how all my favourite treats used to be when I was at school, before all this over the top 'nanny state' healthifying of it all. I like to think that I can look forward to my indulgences, but often this is soon replaced with the disappointment of yet another change made for the worse - either they've reduced the size of packs or messed up the original taste/changed recipe to make it 'healthier'. Aargh, it does my head in.

I, too, do not live off junk food; I eat a varied diet, and I actually do like healthy foods, but of course I love my indulgences, and I like them all naughty, as they're meant to be, and generous in portion! So it's pretty disappointing to end up thinking that you might as well have had a salad after getting a piddly sized portion or reduced salt and fat replacement of what used to be a real treats!

It's junk food, it's not meant to be flaming lettuce!

Rant over, lol!
Reply 30
Oh yes, I can't believe I forgot to mention one food I like which has really been reduced in size and 20% or so more expensive - Cheestrings Spaghetti. They used to come in packs of six individual 21g snack bags - now they are being sold as 4 bags, AND on top of that the individual bags are now downsized to just 17g! And to add insult, the price is over 50p dearer, nearing £3 (£2.68 in Asda now)! This is probably one of the worst offenders in terms of drastic downsizing and price hiking! Total piss take!
(edited 12 years ago)
''Big'' Mac

Quick Reply

Latest