The Student Room Group

Questions on IB Subject Package

Hi Guys,

My name is Roshan and I come from Hong Kong, but i'm studying the IB abroad.

For the moment my IB Subject Package is:

HL: English A Lit, Economics and Mathematics.
SL: History, Spanish B and Biology.

First of all, I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between bio and Environmental Systems and Societies? I am intending to do law/economics in the future, and since neither of the subjects will have much to do with my future, would ESS be less workload and easier than bio?

Secondly, I want to drop maths to SL, and which subject do you recommend I take to HL, Spanish B or History? In terms of how enjoyable the course was, the workload, and the differences in the exam for HL or SL. My liking to both subjects are exactly equal.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Welcome to IB! :smile:
I do SL biology and find that ESS has much more of a geography feel to it - also the people who do it tended to have higher grades.. although this could be down to the biology teachers being crappy. Also bio has loads of Internal Assessments which can be a pain - I only chose biology because I despise geography!

I do HL History and LOVE it - in terms of workload you do cover a huge amount of history and in the exam you will have to revise way more than SL if you want the grades.. but you will also find you can argue for anything! As far as I can tell HL languages is more based on your ability within the language so its more of a development of a skill - although i do SL French so this may be complete **** :smile:

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Maths will be important if you want to study economics at uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Jh_m
Maths will be important if you want to study economics at uni.

This. Many require HL, unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest