The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Akkuz
Sounds about right. Slightly off-topic but I was browsing through the Cambridge Graduate Forum, yesterday and the primary reason for lower in-take levels seems to be failure to obtain funding, rather than meeting offers.

LSE has incredibly high fee's, so they will probably give out ~150 offers. A lot of people are likely to be funding-dependant.

I would love to know if people's funding situation (as specified in application forms) contributes towards an offer or rejection. I know universities say that it doesn't but I'm still very pessimistic about it.

Can't say for LSE but from my own experience it is definitely true for Cambridge (ie funding makes no difference) and from what others here say it is true for Oxford too. I can't see why LSE would be any different.
Reply 281
Original post by BigVitaminD
Thanks.

Any advice on how to get good letters of recommendation? Apart from getting good grades.

Should I try to visit certain lecturers during their office hours in order to make them familiar with me?

Well, yes. Get to know the lecturers who share your research interest/MSc interests. Ask them if they've got any research they'd like to do (always a winner). Be keen.

Although, I don't know how your lecturers are. Mine are on facebook/twitter, so we chat about things beyond academia.
Original post by e-lover
Well, yes. Get to know the lecturers who share your research interest/MSc interests. Ask them if they've got any research they'd like to do (always a winner). Be keen.

Although, I don't know how your lecturers are. Mine are on facebook/twitter, so we chat about things beyond academia.

A little confused! Ask the lecturers if I can help them with their research?
Hi Folks. Applied for Economic History MSc, currently Geography BA at KCL.

I'm on a low 2:1 (62ish) in Geography, but have strong Extra Curriculars and an internship that could go some way into explaining for this. The MSc only requires a 2:1 but I was wondering if offers ever stipulate that one has to reach a certain level of overall grade. E.g. 65+ average, and not just simply a '2:1 or 1st'.

Thanks
Original post by bluenose53
Hi Folks. Applied for Economic History MSc, currently Geography BA at KCL.

I'm on a low 2:1 (62ish) in Geography, but have strong Extra Curriculars and an internship that could go some way into explaining for this. The MSc only requires a 2:1 but I was wondering if offers ever stipulate that one has to reach a certain level of overall grade. E.g. 65+ average, and not just simply a '2:1 or 1st'.

Thanks

Yes, they have done this last year.
The econ history has intensive maths material.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 285
A little confused! Ask the lecturers if I can help them with their research?

Sorry, yes.
Reply 286
And if he'll get 63/64% what will it happen to him ? rejected automatically or .. ? need some insight of this
Original post by kelyos
And if he'll get 63/64% what will it happen to him ? rejected automatically or .. ? need some insight of this

Sorry, I don't know. But I would guess rejected if they don't meet the conditions. Unless they had places to spare (unlikely?)
Yes, they have done this last year.
The econ history has intensive maths material.

Really? The modules didn't look that quantitative unless you pick the quantitative ones, and it did say that people from social science backgrounds were good candidates for the material, of which many of the modules are very similar sounding to what I'm doing already..

Oh well, fingers crossed huh!
Really? The modules didn't look that quantitative unless you pick the quantitative ones, and it did say that people from social science backgrounds were good candidates for the material, of which many of the modules are very similar sounding to what I'm doing already..

My source isn't reliable. I just saw a forum post where someone commented on the quant nature of the subject. Probably wrong.

Good luck!
Reply 290
Hey all. I'm an American applying to LSE for an MSc in Politics and Communication. I'm a little unsure about my chances. I have a 3.98 GPA (all A and A- grades), am a student in their honors college, will graduate Summa Cum Laude, and have been recognized in the top 1% of my class. I go to a very large state school that has a good reputation in my state, but is not a nationally prestigious one.

But I have a few major problems. First, my application is getting in late. My letters of recommendation, and application, will not be complete until mid to late January. At first I didn't worry because LSE's email to me after starting my application said that their most popular programs don't begin to close until mid-February. But reading a few posts on here makes it sound like timing will severely hurt my chances of admittance.

Second, I feel my letters of recommendation will be good, but probably won't blow the selectors out of the water. My professors know me for my success in a class setting and from my own independent research, but I have no significant relationship outside of class with any of them. I'm planning on submitting a professional reference (which will be spectacular) from one of my internships, which was related to my field of study, along with my two academic references, in case that helps.

Do you think the timing and letters are enough to sink the application, or will my GPA and academic success push the application forward?
I also have a similar question. If student #1 applied in November and got offers, and student #2 applies just before Jan 15.. does student #1 get a better chance in acceptance if they BOTH have the same grades?
I think most schools will say that by design, there shouldn't be a difference in the chances of getting in. But speaking to some of the admin personnel at roadshows, generally the earlier the better. And given that lse operates on a rolling admission basis, I'd think it does affect your chances somewhat. All things being equal that is...

Dvm258, your profile looks pretty strong. Just give it a shot! You never know. :smile:

All the best everyone!

I know the office is still on break but I can't help but check my email still. :s-smilie:
Original post by dvm258
Hey all. I'm an American applying to LSE for an MSc in Politics and Communication. I'm a little unsure about my chances. I have a 3.98 GPA (all A and A- grades), am a student in their honors college, will graduate Summa Cum Laude, and have been recognized in the top 1% of my class. I go to a very large state school that has a good reputation in my state, but is not a nationally prestigious one.

But I have a few major problems. First, my application is getting in late. My letters of recommendation, and application, will not be complete until mid to late January. At first I didn't worry because LSE's email to me after starting my application said that their most popular programs don't begin to close until mid-February. But reading a few posts on here makes it sound like timing will severely hurt my chances of admittance.

Second, I feel my letters of recommendation will be good, but probably won't blow the selectors out of the water. My professors know me for my success in a class setting and from my own independent research, but I have no significant relationship outside of class with any of them. I'm planning on submitting a professional reference (which will be spectacular) from one of my internships, which was related to my field of study, along with my two academic references, in case that helps.

Do you think the timing and letters are enough to sink the application, or will my GPA and academic success push the application forward?

I think you worry too much. Mid to late January is by no means too late, and recommendations do not need to blow anybody out of the water, they certainly do not expect something like "I spend a few nights at the spare bedroom next to hers, and she does not even snore!" :biggrin:

Besides, as it was mentioned many times, International students who pay full price and do not get any funding from UK government or the school are always welcome provided they meet the minimum criteria, and certainly so with your credentials. I'd be shocked if you do not get in.
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah, I looked at the modules and it does not look like there is much math outside of couple of optional quantitative courses. Which is also why they do not require GRE for this program.
Reply 295
What's the minimum English requirement for the school? If no formal qualification is forthcoming is there a test of some sort?
Original post by incipientclarity
I think most schools will say that by design, there shouldn't be a difference in the chances of getting in. But speaking to some of the admin personnel at roadshows, generally the earlier the better. And given that lse operates on a rolling admission basis, I'd think it does affect your chances somewhat. All things being equal that is...

Dvm258, your profile looks pretty strong. Just give it a shot! You never know. :smile:

All the best everyone!

I know the office is still on break but I can't help but check my email still. :s-smilie:

Rolling admission? :confused:
Reply 296
Original post by Mimms

Rolling admission? :confused:

There's no formal deadline for admission for most departments - they just accept students until the classes are full. So if you leave it too late to apply, even if you have a brilliant application you might find the class is already full. It's all explained on their website. Bottom line is you should apply as early as you can, particularly for the more competitive courses.
Reply 297
can i ask something, a friend applied for Management Human Resource and for Management Risk and Regulation as a second choice. He submitted his application form with two different personal statements. He is wondering if that is good or a bad? what do you think? the two courses are in different departments.
Reply 298
I think it is recommended to submit two PSs if your first one is very focused on your first choice. However, I consider those two choices should be more or less related, because your career goals must be pretty the same in both of these PSs. If they are not, then I would think that in one or in the other you are lying.
Reply 299
Original post by MartinK
I think it is recommended to submit two PSs if your first one is very focused on your first choice. However, I consider those two choices should be more or less related, because your career goals must be pretty the same in both of these PSs. If they are not, then I would think that in one or in the other you are lying.

Is not for me..I applied for Management Science!

A friend applied for that and he is wondering if he made a mistake..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending