The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

I have received an email with the last year's course booklet from the department. Have anyone received that,too?

In the section with the core and optional modules it says that: '​​A course from any other MSc programme​' .
This means that I can choose any relevant module from other msc? It is the first time that I read that. Anyone who Knows more about that..

Thank you!
Reply 1681
Hello again everyone! Any Americans heading to the LSE next year, please join us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/359710077427317/#!/groups/359710077427317/

:smile:
I got my summer school waiver a couple of weeks ago, pretty easy. For those of you who are about to apply for the waiver remember to list the course book(s) where you state the curriculum. That will save a lot of time for both you and the department.
Reply 1683
Well, I was unsuccessful for MSc Economics and Management but got an offer for Diploma in Accounting and Finance. Honestly, I don't see any sense in this program and probably will apply again next year, but:
Does anyone have any information about this program?
Hey guys,
I found out a few weeks ago that I've been placed on the reserve list for the MSc in IR. Was wondering if there is someone who's also on the reserve list for any of the MSc programs and if anyone knows what the chances are of someone on the reserve list receiving an offer.
Original post by nygsbchamps2012
Hey guys,
I found out a few weeks ago that I've been placed on the reserve list for the MSc in IR. Was wondering if there is someone who's also on the reserve list for any of the MSc programs and if anyone knows what the chances are of someone on the reserve list receiving an offer.

I'd say there's still a reasonable chance of an offer as some won't reach the grades, get grad jobs or other offers, decide they want to take a year out, cant afford the fees etc. There are quite a few factors at work influencing peoples decision to accept or not.
Hey!

I got a conditional offer from LSE, Government department. The condition was to get a 7.5 grade average and my final gpa is 7.1 (i do a joint degree, and i have a 6.9 in one degree and a 7.3 in another).

When they sent out the conditional offer they had already my final transcript (which means they knew i didnt have that gpa), but it was a scanned copy and therefore not considered as official. The copy they have now and that they are currently evaluating has the same grades they had from the very beginning, just in another format.

Should I write/call them and try to negotiate the offer or just wait and see?
Original post by warstudies

Should I write/call them and try to negotiate the offer or just wait and see?

I would call / write to them about this. The fact you were out by a mere 0.4 means that they can certainly be flexible and you can't lose anything by alerting them. Had they really not wanted you then you'd have been rejected.
Reply 1688
Original post by Skale10
Hello guys,

I've been given an offer for Msc Real Estate Economics and Finance..

Anyone else in the same boat?

I have accepted my offer for this programme. I'll be in London in July to fufill my Summer School condition!
Reply 1689
Will anyone out there be taking Intermediate Microeconomics at the Summer School?
So I got an offer for MSc Comparative Politics (Democracy). I'm honored to have received an offer from LSE but it was my second choice course (wanted conflict studies) and it has little relation to my intended field of study - I chose it somewhat at random, or without much consideration anyway. What can one do with this degree? Outside of academia, is it possible to work in an international organization like the UN? I've already received offers from UCL and Kings for courses I intended to study but any offer from LSE feels very, very difficult to pass up.

(Yes, this is a very self-serving thread but I appreciate your assistance and time all the same. And perhaps someone is in a similar scenario. Cheers :smile: )
Been offered a share ensuite room at Northumberland, desperately want a single room - anybody willing to swap? Note: Shared at Northumberland is definitely cheaper than a single :smile: HELP
Original post by bluenose53
I'd say there's still a reasonable chance of an offer as some won't reach the grades, get grad jobs or other offers, decide they want to take a year out, cant afford the fees etc. There are quite a few factors at work influencing peoples decision to accept or not.

Hey, thanks for the reply. They've said that they'll let me know after August 15. Don't know if I'll be able to wait that long with no certainty that I'll be given an offer.
Reply 1693
Hi everyone!

I received a conditional offer from the LSE for the MSc in Politics and Government in the EU, and one of the conditions was to pass the TOEFL iBt test with an overall score of 107 (with min. section grades 17R,17W,18L,20S).

So I took the TOEFL but only got an overall score of 103 with 26R, 26L, 24S, 27W.

Do you think they will ask me to take it another time?
Before I could not afford the +/- £1000 pre-sessional English courses....

Thank you for your help !!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1694
Original post by anneso
Hi everyone!

I received a conditional offer from the LSE for the MSc in Politics and Government in the EU, and one of the conditions was to pass the TOEFL iBt test with an overall score of 107 (with min. section grades 17R,17W,18L,20S).

So I took the TOEFL but only got an overall score of 103 with 26R, 26L, 24S, 27W.

Do you think they will ask me to take it another time?
Before I could not afford the +/- £1000 pre-sessional English courses....

Thank you for your help !!!!!!

What was ur score when u applied ?
Reply 1695
Original post by NeeNA123
What was ur score when u applied ?

None, I didn't take the test before applying, as some of my courses at my home uni were thought in English, I thought I might be exempted.
Then in their offer they required me to take the TOEFL iBT with at least an overall score of 107... So I took it a week ago and only obtain 103 :s-smilie:
And the test is a bit stupid, I got "good" for the speaking section about academic content, but "fair" for the speaking section about a daily-life item, because it stressed me to talk to a computer during 40sec, so my score is below my real level of English. But it would hurt to take it again and pay £180 for just 4 points...
Reply 1696
Hello there!
Congrats to all accepted and best wishes for those awaiting for the reply=)
Briefly: I have accepted the offer to MPA in Public and Economic Policy and was not given an accommodation=)

Sooo.... I am looking for
1) students of MPA programs (esp PEP), just to get in touch.
2) students without place in LSE accommodation. What are your plans? I put myself on a waiting list, surely, but I know I should search an alternative.. What about renting a flat together?

Do you know where I can find those ppl (from any group)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chemical huskies
So I got an offer for MSc Comparative Politics (Democracy). I'm honored to have received an offer from LSE but it was my second choice course (wanted conflict studies) and it has little relation to my intended field of study - I chose it somewhat at random, or without much consideration anyway. What can one do with this degree? Outside of academia, is it possible to work in an international organization like the UN? I've already received offers from UCL and Kings for courses I intended to study but any offer from LSE feels very, very difficult to pass up.

(Yes, this is a very self-serving thread but I appreciate your assistance and time all the same. And perhaps someone is in a similar scenario. Cheers :smile: )

Hi Chemical Huskies!
From what I know of the UN and other IOs, a degree in any stream of the Comp Politics would be a great foundation; I think the program also allows for a certain amount of leeway in course options, which would allow you to tailor the degree (and your dissertation) towards the specific subject-matter that you're interested in, which, personally, I think is more important than the title of the degree. That being said, many IOs will want to see some hardcore experience combined with your degree; if the other programs you're looking at offer well-developed internship modules that seem useful, that could be something to look at that might tip the scale in their favor. If not, however, the LSE name tends to open up a lot of doors (especially outside the UK) that could lead to some work experience opportunities.

Hope that helps!

Also, if you don't mind, what's your profile look like? Thanks, and good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1698
Hi,

I just received an email from the LSE graduate admission office, which says:

" I am writing to confirm that we have recently received the following items:

Additional item(s) we have received: The TOEFL test you took on the 25th May 2012 with an overall score of 103 does meet the minimum entry requirements for the programme for which you have been given an offer.

However, the following conditions are still outstanding:

You are required to pass the British Council's Test of English (IELTS) with 7.0 overall (and at least 5.5 in each section) or 107 overall in the internet-based TOEFL test (and at least 17 in listening and writing, 18 in reading and 20 in speaking).

You will not be able to register until you have satisfied them. "

So?... I don't understand, I called the office and the chick said that I have to retake the test, but then it says the contrary in the email... Was it a typo, did they wrote "does" instead of "does not"?...
Cheers!!
Hello there!
Just got an unconditional offer for MSc in Social Policy and Development, after 2 weeks of receiving the 4th email. I'm still waiting for a decision from UCL and Sussex. Anyone can provide some feedback about choosing between these 3 universities?? :s-smilie: :confused: some opinions would be much appreciated.

Congrats to all accepted and best wishes for those awaiting for the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending