The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by e-lover
A friend of mine got rejected today from an IR programme.

He applied well on the day applications opened.

Oh crap did he eally? I've applied for two IR courses as well in early november. Which course did he apply to? Do you mind letting me know what his profile's like, I'm absolutely bricking it now!
Reply 161
I'll be entering my 6th week of waiting soon. And honestly things are getting crazy :'(
Reply 162
When you fill in the details of your referees in the LSE online application, do the registration emails ask them to upload their references? or does the request to upload their reference only get sent when the application is submitted?
Reply 163
Original post by IK237
When you fill in the details of your referees in the LSE online application, do the registration emails ask them to upload their references? or does the request to upload their reference only get sent when the application is submitted?

I am pretty sure you have to submit the app for the reference request to be sent to your referees, at least that was the case for me :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by IK237

It gets sent there and then.
Reply 165
Original post by e-lover
It gets sent there and then.

so the registration email is actually an email to the referees requesting them to upload their references?
Reply 166
Original post by IK237
so the registration email is actually an email to the referees requesting them to upload their references?

pretty much.
Reply 167
I started completing my application form and when I completed the section about the references I logged out. After two days I logged in to continue but I had already received an email saying that one of my referee uploaded the reference. So i guess when you complete that sections, the referees receive email with a link to upload the reference.
Reply 168
Original post by zziippoo
I started completing my application form and when I completed the section about the references I logged out. After two days I logged in to continue but I had already received an email saying that one of my referee uploaded the reference. So i guess when you complete that sections, the referees receive email with a link to upload the reference.

opps, looks like I was wrong then :smile: I guess I just didn't know because I did it all in one sitting.. so I just assumed.. but you know what they say about assumptions :wink:
Reply 169
Do I have a chance??

Hi, I'm going to apply for MSc in media and communication at LSE in December.

Problem is that my GPA is uncredibly terrible - 2.9/4.0 (fortunately there's uptrend: 2.4 at 1st semester ->3.5 at 8th semester)

Although GPA doesn't meet minimum requirement, will they still review the documents?

I hope personal statement, reference and CV can make up.
I graduated from top 50 univ. in the world as an international student and worked for global consulting firms.

Do you think it's a waste of time for me to apply? If so, I'm wasting my referees' time. I should drop it for them.
(Thankfully, my referees are willing to support me and explain a bit about GPA)

How about other schools? people are saying that it's alomost impossible to be accepted by top 30 in UK with that GPA. Can't I go good grad school...?

Is GPA really really a key factor to admission?

please give some opinions based on real cases. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 170
Original post by luby24
Do I have a chance??

Problem is that my GPA is uncredibly terrible - 2.9/4.0

Although GPA doesn't meet minimum requirement, will they review the application?

I graduated from world top 50 univ. and worked for global consulting firms.

Do you think it's a waste of time for me to apply?

How about other schools? Someone told me that it's alomost impossible to be accepted by top 30 in UK with that GPA. Can't I go good grad school...?

Is GPA really a key factor to admission?

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I do believe that GPA is simply too far below LSE's entrance requirement. HOWEVER, there are plenty of other schools in London that you could go to with that GPA. I have a friend who just got accepted to Queen Mary, University of London for Finance with exactly 3.0/4.0. So you could try there. Also, Regents University (as they require 2.7/3.0).. Just some tips, hope that helped :smile:

THAT being said, there is never harm in trying.. Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 171
Does anyone know if the department of Government has funding opportunities apart from the university's graduate support scheme? Financial aid info for overseas students seems cryptic on the website, which I assume is indicative of the scarcity of funding opportunities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 172
Original post by luby24
Do I have a chance??

Problem is that my GPA is uncredibly terrible - 2.9/4.0 (fortunately there's uptrend: 2.4 at 1st semester ->3.5 at 8th semester)

Although GPA doesn't meet minimum requirement, will they still review the documents?

I graduated from top 50 univ. in the world as an international student and worked for global consulting firms.

Do you think it's a waste of time for me to apply? If so, I'm wasting my referees' time. I should drop it for them.
(Thankfully, my referees are willing to support me and explain a bit about GPA)

How about other schools? people are saying that it's alomost impossible to be accepted by top 30 in UK with that GPA. Can't I go good grad school...?

Is GPA really really a key factor to admission?

please give some opinions based on real cases. Thanks.

Slater88, Thank you for the tips :-)
So, undergraduate school ranking or work experiences are not considered..
only GPA matters?
Original post by luby24
only GPA matters?

Work experience can be considered.
Reply 174
Original post by luby24
only GPA matters?

I was always under the impression that first you have to meet the minimum academic requirements, THEN they take into account things like work experience.
Reply 175
Original post by bhob
I was always under the impression that first you have to meet the minimum academic requirements, THEN they take into account things like work experience.

I believe this is correct! While I have heard of someone with approx. a 3.45 getting an offer, I believe that even that is a rarity.. I have also heard of people who were not able to graduate with a 3.5 and meet the conditional requirement had their offers taken back, so I think they are pretty strict about it.
Reply 176
Original post by slater88
I believe this is correct! While I have heard of someone with approx. a 3.45 getting an offer, I believe that even that is a rarity.. I have also heard of people who were not able to graduate with a 3.5 and meet the conditional requirement had their offers taken back, so I think they are pretty strict about it.

I have no idea how GPAs work.

In the UK, you need a 2.1 or above. I know folks who got 62 ( a low 2.1) who are now studying IR at LSE. I think it's a lottery tbh!
Reply 177
I -and my heart- hate these mails: Amission_LSE_How_you_can_contact_us ...
What does 2:1 be equivalent of when converting to GPA on a 4 scale? Is 3.6/4 considered 2:1? I am confused.
Reply 179
Original post by flying_ramen
What does 2:1 be equivalent of when converting to GPA on a 4 scale? Is 3.6/4 considered 2:1? I am confused.

You don't have to worry about converting between US&UK systems, because they are so different it is really very hard. However, the minimum requirement for LSE is 3.5/4.0 on the US GPA system, that is their definition of "good 2:1" I would assume ,while approx. 3.7 and above would be a "first class honors" degree. I would assume that they have somehow decided these are relatively similar comparable degree marks in both of the school systems (US & UK) as they want to admit relatively evenly capable students from all countries :smile:

Basically, as long as you meet the minimums you've got a shot:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest