The Student Room Group

Software Engineering/ Computer Science at Sheffield?

I'm talking about both Sheffield Uni's ( that's Hallam and Sheffield), I was wondering which is better for this sort of thing?

Also, i have never done any programming so I was also wondering if those sort of degrees would be suitable for me? I like computers in general, I enjoy maths (sometimes) and I kind of enjoy English Language too.

Reply 1
Sheffield University has a great reputation in CS that i'm aware of.
It's 'student business' type thing I believe also helps prepare one for employment better than most Universities if you get involved.
Reply 2
Original post by AshleyT
Sheffield University has a great reputation in CS that i'm aware of.
It's 'student business' type thing I believe also helps prepare one for employment better than most Universities if you get involved.

Thanks, I'm thinking of going to Sheffield Uni (if my grades are good enough) so I am now reassured. However, i'm not sure if you know the answer... but is Java a better programming language to learn than C++? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Qas1m
Thanks, I'm thinking of going to Sheffield Uni (if my grades are good enough) so I am now reassured. However, i'm not sure if you know the answer... but is Java a better programming language to learn than C++? :smile:

Java is generally more used than C++ but both are very important. Both have similar syntax however so it's not too hard to convert between the two.

Either-way, you should cover both during University, or at least C instead of C++.

However Java will be much easier to learn.
Reply 4
Original post by AshleyT
Java is generally more used than C++ but both are very important. Both have similar syntax however so it's not too hard to convert between the two.

Either-way, you should cover both during University, or at least C instead of C++.

However Java will be much easier to learn.

Java is easier than C++?? I was told that java was way harder to learn! I am starting to learn a 'prgramming for dummies' book, to help me get up to speed with basic programming before starting the course. It teaches C++, but I think learning a second language is not that difficult, it's just getting to grips with the first... i think. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Qas1m
Java is easier than C++?? I was told that java was way harder to learn! I am starting to learn a 'prgramming for dummies' book, to help me get up to speed with basic programming before starting the course. It teaches C++, but I think learning a second language is not that difficult, it's just getting to grips with the first... i think. :wink:

C++ you have to deal with memory management etc and Java you don't ... so i have no idea why someone would feel C++ was easier to learn - unless they started with it and tried to convert o java and were used to thinking in lower-level terms.

The are easier languages to learn than Java - Visual basic for example. But in terms of useful languages, i can't really think of an easier language to learn than Java,

I was programming Java at 13, and i know others whom were even younger. So it can't be that hard. Java also has much more support and resources than any language i can think of.
Reply 6
Original post by AshleyT
C++ you have to deal with memory management etc and Java you don't ... so i have no idea why someone would feel C++ was easier to learn - unless they started with it and tried to convert o java and were used to thinking in lower-level terms.

The are easier languages to learn than Java - Visual basic for example. But in terms of useful languages, i can't really think of an easier language to learn than Java,

I was programming Java at 13, and i know others whom were even younger. So it can't be that hard. Java also has much more support and resources than any language i can think of.

Oh right, well I've started C++ and it seems ok, I suppose if i can handle it, I should just move onto java afterwards? Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Qas1m
Oh right, well I've started C++ and it seems ok, I suppose if i can handle it, I should just move onto java afterwards? Thanks for the help! :smile:

If you can handle C++ you should have absolutely no problems with Java :smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by AshleyT
x.

I can't PM you! :frown:

Your mailbox is full :eek:
Reply 9
Original post by kka25
I can't PM you! :frown:

Your mailbox is full :eek:

Sorted.
most of my friends including me we all mainly use java
Reply 11
I have decided to explore python first... it's much simpler. I will definately be going to Java next though, I think C++ can wait a while :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending