The Student Room Group

UCL or Durham for Maths?

Hi

I know there are quite a few of these threads floating around, but none of them seem to tell me specifically about teaching methods? If there are any current students, or any informed prospective/former students, I'd like to know things like how many contact hours there are per week, how many problem classes/supervisions and lectures etc. Also, what the lecturers and professors are like: do most of them really (want to) help the students?

I'd be happy to hear about any reasons why one would be more suited toward either Durham or London too, as the two cities are obviously quite different.
I live in London, but would be planning on living out in first year at least for UCL. Oh, I'm applying for Cambridge and Warwick too btw, and probably Bath and Bristol.. not ICL lol.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, do you still enjoy the city life of London? Also, Durham's collegiate if that changes anything in your opinion. Tiny city - perhaps less than 100,000 people living there, compared to London's millions. Both are old, but Durham is more quaint, for want of a better word, whereas London has a lot of modern architecture as you well know. London will be more expensive to live in, will have a larger night-life with a higher variety of things to do in the city, although Durham does have its own night-life on a smaller scale.
Apart from that, give me a year and I may be able to give you some explanation on teaching methods on one of the two :smile:
I guess this isn't really what you were getting at with the thread - but the city you live in is going to be very important if you're staying there for the duration of your course, so make sure you like whichever place you go to, and don't just prefer the number of contact hours in a week.
Reply 2
At UCL, we have 4 courses each term. Of these, we get 3 hours of lectures per course, one hour of 'problem classes' per course (although, I haven't had one of these yet) and one hour of 'help classes'.

We also get assigned two tutors - one applied, one pure - who we have an hour of contact time with per week in a small group (between 4 and 6), which are quite helpful, for checking over any arguments in your proofs you're unsure about and 'tightening the screws' on any proofs, if you will.

We also have a 'mentor class' with a second year student for one hour per week, which in, again, we go over any homeworks/do some maths for fun, this is in groups of 12 to 15.

UCL also offers a quite generous bursary to all students (half of your maintenance grant), and all of the accomodation is easily within walking range. It takes me 4 minutes to get to the maths dept. from where I'm staying (although, we don't actually have any lectures in there).

Personally, with offers from both last year, I chose UCL due to, well, it being in London. I couldn't find any other differences.
Reply 3
Original post by Zuzuzu
At UCL, we have 4 courses each term. Of these, we get 3 hours of lectures per course, one hour of 'problem classes' per course (although, I haven't had one of these yet) and one hour of 'help classes'.

We also get assigned two tutors - one applied, one pure - who we have an hour of contact time with per week in a small group (between 4 and 6), which are quite helpful, for checking over any arguments in your proofs you're unsure about and 'tightening the screws' on any proofs, if you will.

We also have a 'mentor class' with a second year student for one hour per week, which in, again, we go over any homeworks/do some maths for fun, this is in groups of 12 to 15.

UCL also offers a quite generous bursary to all students (half of your maintenance grant), and all of the accomodation is easily within walking range. It takes me 4 minutes to get to the maths dept. from where I'm staying (although, we don't actually have any lectures in there).

Personally, with offers from both last year, I chose UCL due to, well, it being in London. I couldn't find any other differences.

Doing maths problems in small groups like 4-5 and 12-15 seems nice so that at least the tutor knows you personally :smile:
Are you doing Mathematics or with another subject like with stats or physics ?
I am applying for UCL but I am not sure exactly which subject I will choose.Do you know if the intakes for specific courses are limited?On the UCL website it only states an intake of 170 and so I guess this figure is for all mathematics related subjects.
The accommodation that you get is specific for students only and then on the following years you have to search for you own accommodation right ?
:wink:
Reply 4
Original post by officeface
Well, do you still enjoy the city life of London? Also, Durham's collegiate if that changes anything in your opinion. Tiny city - perhaps less than 100,000 people living there, compared to London's millions. Both are old, but Durham is more quaint, for want of a better word, whereas London has a lot of modern architecture as you well know. London will be more expensive to live in, will have a larger night-life with a higher variety of things to do in the city, although Durham does have its own night-life on a smaller scale.
Apart from that, give me a year and I may be able to give you some explanation on teaching methods on one of the two :smile:
I guess this isn't really what you were getting at with the thread - but the city you live in is going to be very important if you're staying there for the duration of your course, so make sure you like whichever place you go to, and don't just prefer the number of contact hours in a week.

Erm, I'm not too sure. I don't think I'd like to be in a massively busy area all the time, but at the same time I wouldn't like to be in such a quiet area all the time like Durham too, so I didn't think of this as a big deciding point. I do prefer the older, medieval buildings in Durham though, but tbh there are lots of nice traditional looking buildings in London too so it's not too bad.

London would be more expensive to live in, but then as I said I would probably move back home after the first year, so that might make my life a bit easier or cheaper?

I'm afraid waiting a year might be too late, I'm applying this year for university! :tongue:

I did hear about Durham not having such a great nightlife, which might become a deciding factor. At first I was just thinking it'd be down to location - if I wanted to live in a castle more, or be in the centre of everything? But then I did read some things about Durham having very few clubs, and them being quite small and not so great..some people might find it great anyway but it did still make me think twice :\

The reason I asked about contact hours was because that was the only piece of info lacking from my research tbh haha, but yeah ofc it's important to consider all other features. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Zuzuzu

Original post by Zuzuzu

Are the number of hours you gave me quite normal, or would there usually be more/less? Sorry, couldn't really find much info in this area as you can tell :tongue: And if my maths serves me well, 12 hours of lectures a term doesn't seem a lot to me either?

Oh really, well done for that btw :smile: You obviously preferred London, but did the collegiate system/nicer looking area not draw you toward it? Or did the fact that UCL doesn't have a proper maths department draw you more toward Durham? (I think I remember it just being on top of the Student Union?)
Reply 6
Original post by c3dric

Original post by c3dric
Doing maths problems in small groups like 4-5 and 12-15 seems nice so that at least the tutor knows you personally :smile:
Are you doing Mathematics or with another subject like with stats or physics ?
I am applying for UCL but I am not sure exactly which subject I will choose.Do you know if the intakes for specific courses are limited?On the UCL website it only states an intake of 170 and so I guess this figure is for all mathematics related subjects.
The accommodation that you get is specific for students only and then on the following years you have to search for you own accommodation right ?
:wink:

I'm applying to do Mathematics on its own :smile:
I'm guessing the other questions are directed at Zuzuzu so I'll let him reply to those :smile:

Edit: I just realised that none of those questions were directed at me.. haha oh well..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kay94
Are the number of hours you gave me quite normal, or would there usually be more/less? Sorry, couldn't really find much info in this area as you can tell :tongue: And if my maths serves me well, 12 hours of lectures a term doesn't seem a lot to me either?

Oh really, well done for that btw :smile: You obviously preferred London, but did the collegiate system/nicer looking area not draw you toward it? Or did the fact that UCL doesn't have a proper maths department draw you more toward Durham? (I think I remember it just being on top of the Student Union?)

12 hours per week, sorry. I think that's about standard.

I'm in Bloomsbury and it's a really nice area of London, tbh. I like it anyway. Yes, the UCL maths department is on the 5th-8th floor of the student union, which is a pain in the arse really. They over-recruited again this year, so we're having to have lectures outside the maths department this year, but fortunately the Bloomsbury campus is concentrated around 1 or 2 blocks, so it's only a 5 minute walk max from one lecture to the next.

I come from a town at the end of a massive cul-de-sac, 32 miles to the nearest motorway, so I really wanted to have a different experience at uni, which is why UCL swung it for me.

If you do decide to go for UCL, I recommend the Intercollegiate Halls. You share your halls with people from Kings, LSE, Birkbeck, SOAS etc. it's really interesting to meet loads of these different people (plus, it gives you one extra question to ask in the awkward small talk of Freshers week).

Sorry, if this doesnt make perfect sense. I'm quite drunk.
Reply 8
Original post by Zuzuzu

Original post by Zuzuzu
12 hours per week, sorry. I think that's about standard.

I'm in Bloomsbury and it's a really nice area of London, tbh. I like it anyway. Yes, the UCL maths department is on the 5th-8th floor of the student union, which is a pain in the arse really. They over-recruited again this year, so we're having to have lectures outside the maths department this year, but fortunately the Bloomsbury campus is concentrated around 1 or 2 blocks, so it's only a 5 minute walk max from one lecture to the next.

I come from a town at the end of a massive cul-de-sac, 32 miles to the nearest motorway, so I really wanted to have a different experience at uni, which is why UCL swung it for me.

If you do decide to go for UCL, I recommend the Intercollegiate Halls. You share your halls with people from Kings, LSE, Birkbeck, SOAS etc. it's really interesting to meet loads of these different people (plus, it gives you one extra question to ask in the awkward small talk of Freshers week).

Sorry, if this doesnt make perfect sense. I'm quite drunk.

Hmm, yeah, I think the maths department is quite a big factor in terms of deciding where I pick in the end. It just seems a bit random up there :confused:

Ah right, yeah, if I lived in a quiet town, I would not hesitate with my application to a London university either!

Do the Intercollegiate Halls cost more? But yeah, I have heard of them and I think I'd defo prefer living in those halls to the others :smile:

Nah dw, made perfect sense, thanks!

Edit: Oh actually, just came across this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=959362
Is there any truth in that, especially regarding the lecturers? And is it true that only first years get problem classes?

Edit again: Do you usually have to go to the maths dept anyway? Where are all the lectures held usually - is it at the Cruciform?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Durham is better regarded for Maths:
http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-9043.html

I reckon that some people might choose Durham above Warwick (despite Warwick's big reputation in Maths) because of Durham's location and upper middle / upper class collegiate reputation (not that that is necessarily ideal for all / most people in quietish, leafyish Durham and there is something fascinating about a 1960s era campus like Warwick - it's like a life unto itself.) But if they were going to pick a London university for its city attractions then they might pick Imperial if they want the best there.

I know that's only one source but your task, if you choose to accept it, is to find a source that shows UCL above Durham for Maths and feel free to post it- I hope that you find one and show that going off league tables is silly. I know that it is silly in terms of knowing which environment you prefer anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
i was chosing 1 out of these 2 as both ask for ums...i chose UCL because its closer and overall in the recent top 20 universities in the world...suprisingly UCL was there along with cambridge, oxford and imperial =)
Original post by Rahul.S
i was chosing 1 out of these 2 as both ask for ums...i chose UCL because its closer and overall in the recent top 20 universities in the world...suprisingly UCL was there along with cambridge, oxford and imperial =)

Why is it surprising? UCL is a world class university.
Reply 12
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Why is it surprising? UCL is a world class university.

well not a lot of people know UCL! before y12....i didnt know about UCL....a lot of my friends thought I was referring to UEL..university of east london. compare that to cambridge, imperial, oxford....everyone in the education stream will know these uniz :redface:

I'm glad UCL is a world class uni....afterall I'm applying to it :biggrin:
Original post by Rahul.S
well not a lot of people know UCL! before y12....i didnt know about UCL....a lot of my friends thought I was referring to UEL..university of east london. compare that to cambridge, imperial, oxford....everyone in the education stream will know these uniz :redface:

I'm glad UCL is a world class uni....afterall I'm applying to it :biggrin:

Everyone who's important with regards to higher education (academics, graduate employers etc) knows about UCL - it has a very strong and growing international and domestic reputation. So in this respect it's got an excellent and prestigious brand name, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

On the other hand like you said, your average joe has never really heard of it. It's pretty funny (and frustrating) at times. I told a secretary when she asked that I was studying at UCL and she gave me a blank face and then politely asked if it had a medical school (her daughter wants to be a doctor). I had to fight the urge to tell her that UCL was ranked 4th in the world last year by QS, and just instead replied that it had one of the best medical schools in the country haha.
Reply 14
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Everyone who's important with regards to higher education (academics, graduate employers etc) knows about UCL - it has a very strong and growing international and domestic reputation. So in this respect it's got an excellent and prestigious brand name, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

On the other hand like you said, your average joe has never really heard of it. It's pretty funny (and frustrating) at times. I told a secretary when she asked that I was studying at UCL and she gave me a blank face and then politely asked if it had a medical school (her daughter wants to be a doctor). I had to fight the urge to tell her that UCL was ranked 4th in the world last year by QS, and just instead replied that it had one of the best medical schools in the country haha.

loool yh exactly! soon its name should blossom...hws med at ucl?
Reply 15
I'm applying to Maths with management at UCL :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Picnic1

Original post by Picnic1
Durham is better regarded for Maths:
http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-9043.html

I reckon that some people might choose Durham above Warwick (despite Warwick's big reputation in Maths) because of Durham's location and upper middle / upper class collegiate reputation (not that that is necessarily ideal for all / most people in quietish, leafyish Durham and there is something fascinating about a 1960s era campus like Warwick - it's like a life unto itself.) But if they were going to pick a London university for its city attractions then they might pick Imperial if they want the best there.

I know that's only one source but your task, if you choose to accept it, is to find a source that shows UCL above Durham for Maths and feel free to post it- I hope that you find one and show that going off league tables is silly. I know that it is silly in terms of knowing which environment you prefer anyway.

I don't think I would rank any other mathematics department above Warwick's without hesitation apart from Cambridge. Oxford and ICL are up there too ofc, but it's arguable. But yeah, I do like the Durham area, and the buildings was the main thing that attracted me toward it in the first place. :smile:

Ps I didn't neg you btw :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Rahul.S

Original post by Rahul.S

UCL only has a definite better wordwide ranking really. In the UK, they're both very reputable, which is why I'm stuck between the two tbh! Also, there's the issue with the maths department being on the top of the student union which isn't really appealing :s-smilie:

I took ICL out of my choices once I read and heard various negative things about their maths course and lecturers :frown:
Original post by Kay94
I don't think I would rank any other mathematics department above Warwick's without hesitation apart from Cambridge. Oxford and ICL are up there too ofc, but it's arguable. But yeah, I do like the Durham area, and the buildings was the main thing that attracted me toward it in the first place. :smile:

Ps I didn't neg you btw :smile:

I can tell you about Maths at Durham, I study Natural Sciences, however I do maths. So Ill tell you a little bit about the stuff.

In Year one, you study 6 modules: Core A (double), Core B1, Core B2 and 2 other modules of your choice (such as Discrete maths, Cryptography, Economics, or a Science e.t.c )

Core A (I do this one) is taught with alot of lectues, I have 6 hours worth a week. So for the whole of maths you are looking at ~15 lectures. We also have occasional practicles that use Maple. Tutorials is 1 hour per module, so for Core A I think you get 2 but im not too sure about that. There are also Bridge Lectures (to help you with transition) which are optinoal, workshops, problem and revision classes later in the year.

The Lecutres themselves are very good, the enphasis is on vigorous proof and a Talk and write approach, we recieve handouts as a 2nd source and the ciriculum follows various textbook as a 3rd source of infomation. I have been very impressed with my first maths lectrures.
Original post by Kay94
UCL only has a definite better wordwide ranking really. In the UK, they're both very reputable, which is why I'm stuck between the two tbh! Also, there's the issue with the maths department being on the top of the student union which isn't really appealing :s-smilie:

I took ICL out of my choices once I read and heard various negative things about their maths course and lecturers :frown:

Oh I forgot to mention there is summer workbooks to complete and a diagnostic test, they work us hard :P

Quick Reply

Latest