The Student Room Group

UCL or Durham for Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kay94
UCL only has a definite better wordwide ranking really. In the UK, they're both very reputable, which is why I'm stuck between the two tbh! Also, there's the issue with the maths department being on the top of the student union which isn't really appealing :s-smilie:

I took ICL out of my choices once I read and heard various negative things about their maths course and lecturers :frown:

ICL? :eek:

I was considering applying for both....but I think I should pick one univesity only other than cambridge which asks for ums. my decision tbh was based on people I know that go to both uni'z for maths and distance...and UCL won :biggrin:
Original post by Rahul.S

I was considering applying for both....but I think I should pick one univesity only other than cambridge which asks for ums. my decision tbh was based on people I know that go to both uni'z for maths and distance...and UCL won :biggrin:

Durham wants UMS like Cambridge, they ask for it to be emailed I think (I got away with getting in without since im Natsci student) , they say you need 90%+ but ideally 95% thats what a lecturer told me.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Oh I forgot to mention there is summer workbooks to complete and a diagnostic test, they work us hard :P

Pretty sure that's the case for all sciences/engineering/maths courses at any half-decent university :tongue: They just want to make sure that everyone's at the same level and not too rusty before the proper stuff kicks in
Reply 23
Durham wants UMS like Cambridge, they ask for it to be emailed I think (I got away with getting in without since im Natsci student) , they say you need 90%+ but ideally 95% thats what a lecturer told me.

yh that fine....ucl and durham both ask for ums....but I felt it was right to pick one of them 2 after picking cambridge :biggrin: where you applying?
Original post by Rahul.S
yh that fine....ucl and durham both ask for ums....but I felt it was right to pick one of them 2 after picking cambridge :biggrin: where you applying?

Ooh the days of being a prospective student :P Im a fresher at Durham University :smile: I study Natural Sciences, including Maths. Anything you want to know, feel free to ask me.
Reply 25
Ooh the days of being a prospective student :P Im a fresher at Durham University :smile: I study Natural Sciences, including Maths. Anything you want to know, feel free to ask me.

thanks...I should of clocked your a NatSci student from your previous post...must be the weed :mad2: yh...do durham ask for an interview?
Original post by Rahul.S
thanks...I should of clocked your a NatSci student from your previous post...must be the weed :mad2: yh...do durham ask for an interview?

Not for mathematics or Natural sciences, there are no interviews. Offers are based upon PS, Ref, Predicted Grades, GCSEs, Module Scores.

Durham is very big on module scores, I should be clear about this. I knew someone that applied to durham with ~93% average in AS modules with all at least 80. She got rejected because of this. I should point out also durham has raised the offer and now wants at least 1 A*
Reply 27
Not for mathematics or Natural sciences, there are no interviews. Offers are based upon PS, Ref, Predicted Grades, GCSEs, Module Scores.

Durham is very big on module scores, I should be clear about this. I knew someone that applied to durham with ~93% average in AS modules with all at least 80. She got rejected because of this. I should point out also durham has raised the offer and now wants at least 1 A*

lol....Durham are certainly fussy! I think I will stay with LSE.....for some wierd reason Durham never appealed to me :colondollar: :redface:
Reply 28

I can tell you about Maths at Durham, I study Natural Sciences, however I do maths. So Ill tell you a little bit about the stuff.

In Year one, you study 6 modules: Core A (double), Core B1, Core B2 and 2 other modules of your choice (such as Discrete maths, Cryptography, Economics, or a Science e.t.c )

Core A (I do this one) is taught with alot of lectues, I have 6 hours worth a week. So for the whole of maths you are looking at ~15 lectures. We also have occasional practicles that use Maple. Tutorials is 1 hour per module, so for Core A I think you get 2 but im not too sure about that. There are also Bridge Lectures (to help you with transition) which are optinoal, workshops, problem and revision classes later in the year.

The Lecutres themselves are very good, the enphasis is on vigorous proof and a Talk and write approach, we recieve handouts as a 2nd source and the ciriculum follows various textbook as a 3rd source of infomation. I have been very impressed with my first maths lectrures.

One hour per module? Literally that, or one hour per week for that certain module? Sorry if this was obvious lol. Thanks for the rest of the info about the lecturers, I guess this won't be deterring me from applying to Durham, if I finally make up my mind :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by Rahul.S

Original post by Rahul.S

Yeah, it was this thread that put me off the most, as well as my friend who just grad there in maths who didn't have much good things to say about the course :\. I wasn't keen to go there in the first place anyway though, but if anyone has any good reason as to why I should apply, it's still not too late! :P

London does seem much better for everything though, esp compared to Durham !
Original post by Kay94
One hour per module? Literally that, or one hour per week for that certain module? Sorry if this was obvious lol. Thanks for the rest of the info about the lecturers, I guess this won't be deterring me from applying to Durham, if I finally make up my mind :tongue:

No no sorry if I wasnt clear, its about 4 hours Lectures per module. For the whole subject you will have about 15 hours of lectures, and in total roughly 25 hours of supported study.
Reply 31

No no sorry if I wasnt clear, its about 4 hours Lectures per module. For the whole subject you will have about 15 hours of lectures, and in total roughly 25 hours of supported study.

No hang on, I wasn't clear LOL, I was asking about the tutorials now! Sorry again :colondollar:
Original post by Kay94
Yeah, it was this thread that put me off the most, as well as my friend who just grad there in maths who didn't have much good things to say about the course :\. I wasn't keen to go there in the first place anyway though, but if anyone has any good reason as to why I should apply, it's still not too late! :P

London does seem much better for everything though, esp compared to Durham !

I object to this statment! We at the very least are similar in prestige to UCL, ICL, LSE. And Durham is also improving in the rankings, were were 3rd in the latest rankings and 5th in the Complete guide, Ahead of UCL I believe. Durham is bound to do badly in the International league tables, because it is a tiny city and a small university, this does not reflect teaching and research quality!
Original post by Kay94
No hang on, I wasn't clear LOL, I was asking about the tutorials now! Sorry again :colondollar:

Its roughly 1 hour per week per module (so for Core A that's 2 hours) , I dont know much about other maths modules, however bear in mind there are alot of workshops and problem classes throughout the year, I think Core B2 substitues extra problem classes and seminars for tutorials though I could be wrong.
Reply 34

Its roughly 1 hour per week per module (so for Core A that's 2 hours) , I dont know much about other maths modules, however bear in mind there are alot of workshops and problem classes throughout the year, I think Core B2 substitues extra problem classes and seminars for tutorials though I could be wrong.

Ahhh ok! Thanks very much :biggrin:
Reply 35

Was this 93% in ALL AS modules? For maths alone mine's 96%, but over the 4 subjects it's down to 88%. Plus I didn't get an A in every module (76 in D1) If it is 93% in ALL AS modules then I don't really stand a chance haha, may as well go for UCL right now! :\

I object to this statment! We at the very least are similar in prestige to UCL, ICL, LSE. And Durham is also improving in the rankings, were were 3rd in the latest rankings and 5th in the Complete guide, Ahead of UCL I believe. Durham is bound to do badly in the International league tables, because it is a tiny city and a small university, this does not reflect teaching and research quality!

I specifically said London and not UCL because I was referring to the city/nightlife itself btw! But yeah, ranking/rep/prestige wise both are very good and there isn't much difference in the UK between them I'd agree. Yes but then there's the issue of future employers potentially thinking that UCL is better than Durham, (especially for maths?) so I don't want to make the wrong decision now..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kay94
Was this 93% in ALL AS modules? For maths alone mine's 96%, but over the 4 subjects it's down to 88%. Plus I didn't get an A in every module (76 in D1) If it is 93% in ALL AS modules then I don't really stand a chance haha, may as well go for UCL right now! :\

Don't pay much attention to one-off anecdotes on the internet. Doing so will only lead to the wrong decisions being made.

I specifically said London and not UCL because I was referring to the city/nightlife itself btw! But yeah, ranking/rep/prestige wise both are very good and there isn't much difference in the UK between them I'd agree. Yes but then there's the issue of future employers potentially thinking that UCL is better than Durham, (especially for maths?) so I don't want to make the wrong decision now..

If all you care about is (international) employer reputation then choose UCL. Domestically the difference between UCL and Durham will be minimal (as it will be for all good uni's); it's only really in Law and Investment Banking where UCL will give you a clear advantage.
Original post by Kay94

No dont worry its only for Maths Modules , D1 is a rubbish module, they wont care about that dont worry, provided this is the only B. 96% is amazing in light of the B, you should definately get an offer. This also applies for FM modules, you MUST be taking further Maths A level to be in with a good chance (unless your school doesnt offer it in which case AS is okay)

to set your mind at rest QS recently ranked Durham 15th in the world for graduate employment so there isnt much an issue there!, also Durham is definately on the way up, it consistantly is above 6th place for Maths in the league tables, 10 years ago it was ~15th.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Hope this helps :biggrin:

You shouldn't really rely on league tables, to be honest.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You shouldn't really rely on league tables, to be honest.

I never said I did??????

But doing consistantly well in league tables is undenablay good. In any case Durham gets top marks or nearly top marks in the academic assesments, it has been rated very highely for student support and teaching and it has the ability to offer A*AA on most of its subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest