Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis_Mac
FOUR AH's plus a Higher!!! You mad?

nope :smile:
Well for this year (4th year):

HARDEST

Music SG
French SG
Art and Design Higher (last minute move)
Biology SG
Modern studies SG
History SG
English Int 2
Maths SG

EASIEST
Hardest

SG Geography
SG Music
Int2 ESOL
SG Chemistry
Int2 Spanish
SG Biology
SG Art
Int1 Maths

Easiest
I only took two subjects this year.

Hardest: Int 2 Philosophy
Easiest: Higher Media

I love the social sciences but I'm not very good at them. ^^;
Reply 104
Hardest

H Physics
H English
H Chemistry
H Biology
H Maths (although this years paper was soul-destroying)

Easiest
5th Year

Hardest
Maths
Physics
German
History
English
Easiest

Just my luck to have maths as my worst subject, and be in the unfortunate year who had to sit the most devastating higher paper ever.
Hardest

H English
H Mathematics
H Chemistry
H Psychology
H Physics

Easiest

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by kaneboy
Wow. Next Year I'm doing : English, Maths, Physics, Biology, History. Answer truthfully, how screwed am I ? :')

I'm doing the same as you after Summer, but chemistry instead of history. I must admit I'm looking forward to some of it (mainly maths and physics). English will be a pain in the arse though. :s-smilie: Surely you don't mind a challenge, though?
(edited 11 years ago)
I seriously respect those of you taking maths and the sciences - especially those of you still in school. I'm 20 now (I did 5th year, took a gap year, then two years of FE college) and I'm still doing crap at Higher. I need to put in a ton of effort just to get a minimum pass (yeah, I'm not smart, and I won't pretend to be). I hope you all do well in the exams. I, err, "got up to no good" with a guy who wants to make it medicine and I was so impressed with his math & science capabilities. I hope you all do well in the exams. <3
Original post by badumdumtscht
^5! :biggrin:

Nope, did a HNC instead cos I passed my sciency Highers and now I'm at uni! :biggrin: I'd never force myself through Higher English again. lol

Ah okay that's worked out great for you then! Who says you need Higher English and Maths anyway! People act like it's the end of the world when you don't get them it's so annoying :frown:

But that's my plan too, I have a unconditional for a HNC at college, do that then the HND then uni, good luck with your uni course!!
Original post by morganalex
Ah okay that's worked out great for you then! Who says you need Higher English and Maths anyway! People act like it's the end of the world when you don't get them it's so annoying :frown:

But that's my plan too, I have a unconditional for a HNC at college, do that then the HND then uni, good luck with your uni course!!

It will work out for you too! :biggrin:

Don't listen to them. Focus on your own path and work hard - I had people telling me I'd never get anywhere, that I was stupid and all that. Show them that it isn't the end of the world. :awesome:

Oh, good! HNC/Ds are excellent preparation for uni courses. They are difficult, but if you work hard then you will go far with them. I think my HNC prepared me for uni more than any Higher/AH ever could.

:biggrin:
Original post by kaneboy
Wow. Next Year I'm doing : English, Maths, Physics, Biology, History. Answer truthfully, how screwed am I ? :')

How good are you at remembering things? If your good Biology and (I imagine) History should be a cakewalk :smile: Maths is fine aslong as you keep up with the work and I'm doing Higher English ( :frown: ) and Physics ( :smile: ) next year.

Original post by AtomSmasher
I'm doing the same as you after Summer, but chemistry instead of history. I must admit I'm looking forward to some of it (mainly maths and physics). English will be a pain in the arse though. :s-smilie: Surely you don't mind a challenge, though?

3 Sciences? I'm doing 3 next year :3 I thought Chemistry was hard for a good portion of the year, but then it's eased of to be my easiest subject. Enjoy :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by badumdumtscht
It will work out for you too! :biggrin:

Don't listen to them. Focus on your own path and work hard - I had people telling me I'd never get anywhere, that I was stupid and all that. Show them that it isn't the end of the world. :awesome:

Oh, good! HNC/Ds are excellent preparation for uni courses. They are difficult, but if you work hard then you will go far with them. I think my HNC prepared me for uni more than any Higher/AH ever could.

:biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice, that's exactly what I plan to do! Fingers crossed it'll all work out in the end!!
Original post by TheFOMaster
How good are you at remembering things? If your good Biology and (I imagine) History should be a cakewalk :smile: Maths is fine aslong as you keep up with the work and I'm doing Higher English ( :frown: ) and Physics ( :smile: ) next year.

3 Sciences? I'm doing 3 next year :3 I thought Chemistry was hard for a good portion of the year, but then it's eased of to be my easiest subject. Enjoy :smile:

You mean SG chemistry? Kind of the same with me... I didn't really pay much attention until early-mid 4th year, then it was quite easy. 3 sciences shouldn't be that bad, although iology can be a pain. It's a pity we don't get further maths like the A-levelers. I would happily choose that over English. Glad to see that someone shares my opinions about English (:frown:) and physics (:biggrin:).
Easiest
SG Maths
SG Chemistry
SG French
SG History
Int 2 Computing
SG Biology
SG Geography
SG English (well, the creative writing part anyway :tongue:)
Hardest
Original post by AtomSmasher
You mean SG chemistry? Kind of the same with me... I didn't really pay much attention until early-mid 4th year, then it was quite easy. 3 sciences shouldn't be that bad, although iology can be a pain. It's a pity we don't get further maths like the A-levelers. I would happily choose that over English. Glad to see that someone shares my opinions about English (:frown:) and physics (:biggrin:).

No I mean Higher :P It's definitely the biggest jump for the Highers I took (Biology, Chem,Comp and Maths)

I need English next year :frown: (Want Teaching as a potential career)

I'm doing AH Chem and Bio next year with H Physics so if you have problems doing 3 sciences, remember mines will be worse :biggrin:
Original post by AnnaWintour
5th year: Hardest
-Higher Biology = Higher Maths
-Higher Chemistry
-Higher French
-Higher English
Easiest

6th year: Hardest
-Higher Physics
-AH Chemistry
-AH Maths
-AH Biology
-AH Chemistry
Easiest

You're doing AH Chemistry twice?
Original post by daviddd!1994
You're doing AH Chemistry twice?

My mistake

6th year: Hardest
-Higher Physics
-AH Maths
-AH Biology
-AH Chemistry
Easiest
Hello,

Out of curiosity has anyone sat Advanced Higher Computing and History simultaneously? Which is easier in terms of workload (I know Comp has a project and History has a dissertation)? Which is more monotonous in content? Which would you choose if you could only pick one of them in retrospect?

Sat both of them at Higher this year (History done, Computing on Thurs) with the expected grade of an A so the content in Higher isn't a problem.

P.S. if you didn't sit both, but just one, how would you relate it in context with other subjects (I'm also sitting AH English and Business Management, column clash and Aberdeen Council budget cuts means I can only pick Comp or History)

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 119
H English
H Maths
H Accounting
H Business