The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron 'league table'

Good day all,

I am currently in my third year of college, and I am looking to go to university in 2012 or 2013 (the latter is more likely though).

My ambition is to become a pilot in the RAF, with mechanical engineering as my alternative route. I have spent plenty of time talking to RAF Careers, as well as flying schools, and this appears to be the best route for me.

One thing I do remember, when speaking to a man at a flying school (also training in the RAF) is that the UAS have preference towards universities...

I'm just wondering if there's a list of 'better' UASs, and their corresponding top universities to recruit from. For example, he reckoned that people from Coventry and Birmingham have a far better chance of getting a place compared to, for example, Keele students. This also seems to align with which universities actually host UAS recruitment booths.

So is there a particular UAS to look for? I know that 'good' is very subjective, but one may do more adventurous activities, one might do more flying, etc.

Furthermore, from each UAS, how do I know which universities they prefer? Shall I look towards the ones who have the UAS booths, or is this completely wrong? I have compiled a list of my top universities, and the follows UASs pop up the most on my list: Birmingham, Manchester & Salford, Liverpool and East Midlands. Is there a particular university that I need to be trying to get into to have the best chance of a place?

Thank you for reading, I hope this makes some sense.

Regards,

S.E
Reply 1
No.

What he means is that some of the newer perhaps less prestigious universities are not 'really' affiliated to a UAS in the same was as well established institutions.

No UAS league table exists. It'd be pointless. The strength of a UAS is it's students, and that changes every year. Go to a 'decent' [subjective, I know] uni and you'll find them directly associated with a UAS and as long as you get into a UAS, you'll get all the benefits therein.

Whether or not you then make it into the RAF depends on you, not the UAS you were a part of for 2/3 yrs.

Of course there is rivalry between UAS', and then rivalry between the UAS system and that of the UOTCs and URNUs, but ultimately you're all in the same club.

Original post by SillyEddy
I'm just wondering if there's a list of 'better' UASs, and their corresponding top universities to recruit from. For example, he reckoned that people from Coventry and Birmingham have a far better chance of getting a place compared to, for example, Keele students. This also seems to align with which universities actually host UAS recruitment booths.

This more comes down to how close the place is to where you're studying. But even then, with some it makes little difference. I was on MASUAS and all the students lived within about 10miles of where we met up each week, with all the [main] unis [Man Uni, Man Met and Salford] being very close, but I had good friends on LUAS [Liverpool], who studied at Lancaster so were miles away from both their Liverpool HQ and the base yet were still active parts. Same went for those on Yorkshire. While York, Hull, Leeds and Sheffield might be spread apart, students from each are accepted readily.

Your point re: focus of training is only partially relevant. As with student changing regularly, so do the staff [albeit less regularly] and with them the focus of the bulk of training.

tl;dr: You want to do Mech Eng. Pick your uni based on where you want to live for 3/4 yrs, on being in a city you'll enjoy. Chances are, with that being a good degree that the lower tier unis won't do, that you'll be at a decent place which will be directly affiliated with a UAS.
None of that means, however, that you'll get in.
MASUAS: covered a student population of ~100,000. Number of students on the UAS: 55.
Reply 2
Very good points.

I have been looking at Aston University (part of the DTUS scheme, although that probably won't aid me as as wannabe-pilot, it is still a useful trait for them to have) and they sound like a pretty good bet. As you say, some universities might not be as well connected as others, but if it is DTUS then hopefully that counts as 'well affiliated'.

I mean, I am down to a top 18 universities, so in my attempt to whittle down the numbers to the UCAS 5, I am nit picking all of them to see what is best for me. If they have a UAS, that's great, they're on the list. If they have a nice city, good transport, good rating, that's all something to think about. It really is an excuse to conclude which university is the best for me. The league table thing was a bit of a exaggeration, some might've offered more than others, or have slightly different objectives or greater intake, etc.

Getting into the UAS themselves is something that I will have to look at separately. To me it is important to be in with a fighting chance to begin with.
Reply 3
Don't worry so much about the DTUS thing, like you say, it's irrelevant to your ultimate goal of being a Pilot and the existance of it does not guarantee a UAS will be nearby, it merely suggests proximity to one of the 3 types of unit. DTUS is tri-service, after all.

It doesn't have to be that high a university. I was at Salford. Think that's hovering around the 80ish place nationally, but it's engineering department is very good and all it's degrees are fully accredited and I can count at least 6 friends from there who've all made it into the RAF.

And, for the love of God, don't pick a university without visiting the place at least once.

If you're that bothered, PM me the 18 you've got on a shortlist and I'll tell you which are more UAS-ish than aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest