The Student Room Group

University help !?

Hi,
im in year 12 at the moment,
theres just some things I want to ask about university really,
i'd be grateful if you can help answer some of my questions :smile:

Uni prospectuses say that they will only give you a place in the halls if you firm that uni, what about if i dont get into my firm university, does that mean i cant live in the halls in another uni?
When do you start paying off a loan for your living costs? Is it manageable?
Most Englush courses are asking for AAA or AAB, are these grades hard to get as I know some people who only manage to get B's and C's

Thats all :smile:
P.S I would love to do a degree in English :smile:
Reply 1
If you pick a uni as firm you are guaranteed accomodation but with insurance it's a maybe.

I think you can do English if you continue trying really hard, and sometimes the offers for some unis are over the top! You have all to play for in year 12 and I'm sure that if you knuckle down, you'll get fantastic AS grades.

You don't need to worry about paying off living costs if you have a bursary or scholarship, but for some peple it is a good idea to get a part time job to keep up with payments.

Anyway, good luck in your exams and hope you enjoy Easter.
Original post by Chriss95
Hi,
im in year 12 at the moment,
theres just some things I want to ask about university really,
i'd be grateful if you can help answer some of my questions :smile:

Uni prospectuses say that they will only give you a place in the halls if you firm that uni, what about if i dont get into my firm university, does that mean i cant live in the halls in another uni?
When do you start paying off a loan for your living costs? Is it manageable?
Most Englush courses are asking for AAA or AAB, are these grades hard to get as I know some people who only manage to get B's and C's

Thats all :smile:
P.S I would love to do a degree in English :smile:

If you end up going to your insurance uni, you apply for halls after that place is confirmed in August. In all likelihood you will still get accomodation, you just won't have as much choice between halls as if it had been your Firm.

Student Loans Company start taking repayments in the April after you graduate, if you earn above £21,000/year, at a rate of something like 9% above that threshold. So if you start earning £25000/year, you'd be paying £30 a month.

You can find English degrees with entry requirements of far less than AAA/AAB. You can narrow down your uni choice once you have your A2 predictions from your teachers.
Reply 3
The good thing about subjects like English is that lots of unis offer it. It is very easy to apply the standard "cookie cutter" approach of a university application, which is:

1. Strech (a uni you don't know if you can get in, or if you do the grades won't be easy)
2. Strech or strong (one you are confident you stand a reasonable chance of getting in/getting the grades for)
3. Strong
4. Strong or easy (one you know you should get in because you predictions easily exceed grade requirements)
5. easy

Just make sure you get a prediction off your teachers of roughly what you are going to get. Lots of people do get Bs and Cs (which aren't bad, btw), but lots of people get As and A*s too. Just find out where roughly you are, apply that rough "cookie cutter approach" to your application and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending