The Student Room Group

are my uni choices too ambitious?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Unless you have other personal reasons not to, you might be better off giving one of your choice slots to Oxford or Cambridge since slightly lacking A level/GCSE grades for a candidate that is actually very good are less of an issue there. Places like Durham/Warwick etc wont give you an interview and will rely solely on what is on a piece of paper. Of course it's not exactly an easy route, but it's fairer since your mathematical ability will be thoroughly tested and if you deserve a place, you'll get one.
Original post by Spungo
Unless you have other personal reasons not to, you might be better off giving one of your choice slots to Oxford or Cambridge since slightly lacking A level/GCSE grades for a candidate that is actually very good are less of an issue there. Places like Durham/Warwick etc wont give you an interview and will rely solely on what is on a piece of paper. For maths, Warwick do give offers to all realistic candidates (the OP probably falls into that category).

From the posted grades, and attitude, I think Cambridge would be a big ask. (By attitude I mean the continual hoping that "if I do X, they'll lower the offer". I think it's very unlikely Cambridge would ask for less than AAA + 11 in STEP II/III - which is effectively A*A*A + 11, since you're not likely to get less than A*A* if you get 11).

Attraction of Oxford is that if you get to prove yourself via the MAT. Of course, that presupposes you're going to do extremely well in it.
Reply 82
Original post by DFranklin
For maths, Warwick do give offers to all realistic candidates (the OP probably falls into that category).

From the posted grades, and attitude, I think Cambridge would be a big ask. (By attitude I mean the continual hoping that "if I do X, they'll lower the offer". I think it's very unlikely Cambridge would ask for less than AAA + 11 in STEP II/III - which is effectively A*A*A + 11, since you're not likely to get less than A*A* if you get 11).

Attraction of Oxford is that if you get to prove yourself via the MAT. Of course, that presupposes you're going to do extremely well in it.

Oh definitely. I wasn't suggesting that they would offer something lower, only that they would perhaps be more inclined to give an offer in the first place after the extra information from an interview. Of course it wont make any difference if you're not suited for it as the interview will only confirm that you're not right for the place, but from personal experience (for whatever it's worth), it helped me after getting quite poor GCSE results and somewhat lacking A levels.
Reply 83
Thank you to all replies regarding my daughters grades. She is taking 3 resits and has decided to go with a pure chemistry degree. Birmingham require BBB. If this falls through for any reason, she is going to do AAT accounting. She is taking maths and further maths, so this can be her back up plan. She has thought this through over the last few days, after speaking to her tutors.
Many thanks
Doris1971:wink:
Original post by Doris1971
Thank you to all replies regarding my daughters grades. She is taking 3 resits and has decided to go with a pure chemistry degree. Birmingham require BBB. If this falls through for any reason, she is going to do AAT accounting. She is taking maths and further maths, so this can be her back up plan. She has thought this through over the last few days, after speaking to her tutors.
Many thanks

quote or people might not see :wink:
Reply 85
you mean A*A*B

gotta resit one chemistry module which i have D in to get it up to an A.
Original post by ilyking
UCL A*AA (G100 maths)
Imperial A*AA (G400 computer science)
St Andrews AAA (G110 pure maths)
Bristol uni AAA (G100 maths)
Warwick A*A*A2 (G100 maths)

Simply yes. But If you want to study at the best then I can understand. Like you said if you dont get AAA its a gap year and I respect that. At the end of the day you wanna spend 3+ years studying somewhere your happy and content

Good Luck and I hope you get to be where you wish to be :smile:
Actually, alot of the new prices and costs have probably killed that general statement... The 2012 entries saw grade requirements drop for quite a few universities.

Just sayin'
Original post by Tsunami2011
I'm intrigued, to know how you came to the conclusion that her predictions are over-inflated?:confused: Without knowing how high her As were and how high her B was, then it's impossible to tell surely? She could have got 90% 90% 79%, which would hardly be inflated? Forget the D.

79% is a B? What horrible world do you live in where this is the case?!
Original post by Doris1971
Many thanks

That's great to hear, there are great unis out there with her grades. Good luck Doris1971 :smile:
Reply 90
From my experience of having been through the UCAS process and applying for courses with high entry requirements (even though it was nothing to with maths, several of my friends applied for maths-related courses) its best to assume that you wont get a lower offer than the standard offer; you have to be incredibly exceptional in both grades and your personal statement, or have reasons why you have done worse than expected at AS level. I went to a very large college, (700+ students in each year) and I don't remember anyone who received an offer that was lower than standard. However, I applied for 2011 entry and so missed the fee changes - I don't know how much that is going to affect grade requirement offers this year so this may not apply to you. Thought I'd share the wisdom anyway :smile:
ilyking

Original post by Hal E. Luya
Bah I give up on you. Warwick does not give out a ton of offers. Warwick is a fine institution, and quite frankly, you don't deserve a place there with your attitude.

Although I agree that the OP's attitude is a little poor, what he has said about Warwick maths is pretty much correct (as DFranklin alluded to earlier).

Applicants and offers.
Grades to merit a offer.

However this doesn't mean that the OP will get into Warwick. They made this insanely high percentage of offers again this year but were still forced to take people who missed the offer (whether that be the STEP component or the further maths component) to fill the spaces. It's not realistic to assume that you'll get a 2 in STEP alongside A*A*A. There is a reason why Warwick give out so many offers OP so although you will most likely get an offer, chances are that you may not meet it...
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Although I agree that the OP's attitude is a little poor, what he has said about Warwick maths is pretty much correct (as DFranklin alluded to earlier).

Applicants and offers.
Grades to merit a offer.

However this doesn't mean that the OP will get into Warwick. They made this insanely high percentage of offers again this year but were still forced to take people who missed the offer (whether that be the STEP component or the further maths component) to fill the spaces. It's not realistic to assume that you'll get a 2 in STEP alongside A*A*A. There is a reason why Warwick give out so many offers OP so although you will most likely get an offer, chances are that you may not meet it...

So like we told him, he's too ambitious for not having an insurance choice there, considering he hasn't actually met any of the grades at all as of yet...

I bow to your superior knowledge of Warwicks offer system, the people I know who've applied/got in went for humanities :wink:
Reply 93
It's now

A* (M), A*(FM), A and STEP at grade 2

or

A*(M), A (FM), A and STEP at grade 1

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry/2012

Now, if the OP is interested in MORSE, then it looks even more competitive. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/offer

Is that OP that smart to get into Warwick? I don't know. But he sure is full of air. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Hello,
Firstly I just want to say that the fact that you're AS grades are not up to scratch, is not that relevant as you're teachers clearly believe that you are able to get A*A*A.
That is what is relevant because unis only see you're predicted grades and not your actual AS grades. (unless UCAS of course has changed this again from last year).

However saying this your GCSE results are not 'great'.
I personally do not think that it is unlikely to meet an offer of A*AA with your current grades if you're willing to work hard. But I don't know you so I can't comment on that.
Original post by FaithChild
That is what is relevant because unis only see you're predicted grades and not your actual AS grades. (unless UCAS of course has changed this again from last year).
I'm fairly sure all "cashed-in" AS grades have had to be declared on UCAS for the past decade or so? Given that most schools must cash in all ASes taken by legislation, most universities hold AS grades in a higher regard than predictions which may easily subjected to non-academic influence. They know this to be the case.
Reply 96
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I'm fairly sure all "cashed-in" AS grades have had to be declared on UCAS for the past decade or so? Given that most schools must cash in all ASes taken by legislation, most universities hold AS grades in a higher regard than predictions which may easily subjected to non-academic influence. They know this to be the case.

Oh sorry my bad didn't realise (most) colleges cash in their AS results. My college did not do that, I think it was to enable us to resit modules if we wanted to or something. I just assumed every college acts in the same way.

But yeah my argument only applies if the AS results are not cashed in, then you don't have to show them on UCAS
Oh sorry my bad didn't realise (most) colleges cash in their AS results. My college did not do that, I think it was to enable us to resit modules if we wanted to or something. I just assumed every college acts in the same way.

But yeah my argument only applies if the AS results are not cashed in, then you don't have to show them on UCAS
If I was an admissions tutor, and an applicant hadn't given their AS results, my immediate suspicion would be that they weren't up to scratch. If you got as far as an interview, for sure I'd ask why you had no AS results.

(And yeah, I'm a hard-ass: if you lied about it, and I found out, I'd withdraw any made offer).
Reply 98
Hello,
Firstly I just want to say that the fact that you're AS grades are not up to scratch

A*A*B, or rather A*A*A with one chemistry resit.

I see no problem

and the thread has been solved, I have replaced st andrews AAA with nottingham A*AB
Original post by ilyking
A*A*B, or rather A*A*A with one chemistry resit.

I see no problem

and the thread has been solved, I have replaced st andrews AAA with nottingham A*AB

Hooray Good luck with application :smile:
Let us know how it all plays out

Quick Reply

Latest