Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't run for very long...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Good runners please help.

I have a good BMI, I'm only 11 stone and in my mid 20s but I just can't seem to get past 2 miles without dying.

I've been running regularly for a couple of years - sometimes I've gone a few months without doing any running for various reasons, but particularly in the last year I've run either in the street or on the treadmill at least once a week but usually twice if not thrice.

I've never been a particularly sporty person - but I see old people and older women who seem fitter than me yet they're older and fatter. I don't get it. I make sure I drink plenty of water and ensure I've not eaten immediately before - and usually ensure it's a bit of fruit.

I just get really fatigued after about a mile and the last mile is such a pain in the a---.

I really enjoy running and the after feeling etc, but I wish I could run 5miles with a decent sweat, without stopping.

Any advice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, Your comments have been taken on board. Have you started any medication like an anti- depressant or any type of meds? Also do you eat properly and has your diet changed recently?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    Hi,

I have a good BMI, I'm only 11 stone and in my mid 20s but I just can't seem to get past 2 miles without dying.

I've been running regularly for a couple of years - sometimes I've gone a few months without doing any running for various reasons, but particularly in the last year I've run either in the street or on the treadmill at least once a week but usually twice if not thrice.

I've never been a particularly sporty person - but I see old people and older women who seem fitter than me yet they're older and fatter. I don't get it. I make sure I drink plenty of water and ensure I've not eaten immediately before - and usually ensure it's a bit of fruit.

I just get really fatigued after about a mile and the last mile is such a pain in the a---.

I really enjoy running and the after feeling etc, but I wish I could run 5miles with a decent sweat, without stopping.

Any advice?

Maybe you have fast twitch muscle fibres. If you can jump the length of your body (your height) from a standing start then you do. It means you are better at sprinting than endurance types events. You will still be able to improve anyway but this might be why you are finding it comparatively hard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Maybe you have fast twitch muscle fibres. If you can jump the length of your body (your height) from a standing start then you do. It means you are better at sprinting than endurance types events. You will still be able to improve anyway but this might be why you are finding it comparatively hard.
    Interesting, will look into that one. I was always a good sprinter. As a kid I used to punch older kids (not randomly, if they were nasty) and out run them.

Didn't realise being good at sprinting usually means sloggish jogging?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themagnum93)
    Hi there, Your comments have been taken on board. Have you started any medication like an anti- depressant or any type of meds? Also do you eat properly and has your diet changed recently?
    Anti-D's - didn't realise this sounded like a mental health issue - unless you're joking..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    Interesting, will look into that one. I was always a good sprinter. As a kid I used to punch older kids (not randomly, if they were nasty) and out run them.

Didn't realise being good at sprinting usually means sloggish jogging?
    Well it means that you are naturally better at one than the other, but I'm not sure to what extent. It might not make much difference if you do a bit of training..

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...eFiberType.htm
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    Hi,

Any advice?
    Try and run 4 times a week for a while, increasing the distance slightly each day of the week, then dropping back down slightly in the next week. Also ensure you take on plenty of carbs about an hour to an hour and a half before running, along with water.

That's what I did when I started running, and went from 2.5 miles per session to 6 miles per session in a couple of weeks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, It depends what you want to achieve. If you want to run distance, then the obvious thing to do is to slow down your pace and build up the speed over the time that you train for. Interval training is great for getting your fitness up. Secondly a lot of it will be mental, If your running on a treadmill, cover up the time/distance display and keep yourself distracted by watching TV.. If your outdoors use an iPod/Phone.

I used to only be able to run a mile until I became to tired to carry on, Now I can run 7 miles non-stop Ive been training on and off for 6 months...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Firstly, It depends what you want to achieve. If you want to run distance, then the obvious thing to do is to slow down your pace and build up the speed over the time that you train for. Interval training is great for getting your fitness up. Secondly a lot of it will be mental, If your running on a treadmill, cover up the time/distance display and keep yourself distracted by watching TV.. If your outdoors use an iPod/Phone.

I used to only be able to run a mile until I became to tired to carry on, Now I can run 7 miles non-stop Ive been training on and off for 6 months...
    I agree with this - Bargain Hunt on the treadmill works wonders, and an iPod also helps in the street as you can't hear your increasingly heavy breathing.

But I just feel like I'm not running on "the right fuel", or my shins start to twitch a little which tells my brain that a little breather is good. Which means I stop. Then get angry and walk for 5 mins then resume.

Some people just seem to do 10k effortlessly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    I agree with this - Bargain Hunt on the treadmill works wonders, and an iPod also helps in the street as you can't hear your increasingly heavy breathing.

But I just feel like I'm not running on "the right fuel", or my shins start to twitch a little which tells my brain that a little breather is good. Which means I stop. Then get angry and walk for 5 mins then resume.

Some people just seem to do 10k effortlessly.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. When your brain starts to think your tired you end up becoming more tired and start to put too much effort into breathing patterns e.c.t.. For me, a lot of that is mental and I usually just slow my pace to correct breathing and try to zone out to get through phases like that...

In terms of 'fuel' or food, I would recommend pasta or any complex carbs... I once ate pasta for a whole week and didnt run during that week. The next time a ran it felt great.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. When your brain starts to think your tired you end up becoming more tired and start to put too much effort into breathing patterns e.c.t.. For me, a lot of that is mental and I usually just slow my pace to correct breathing and try to zone out to get through phases like that...

In terms of 'fuel' or food, I would recommend pasta or any complex carbs... I once ate pasta for a whole week and didnt run during that week. The next time a ran it felt great.

Apparently when your body and brain keep telling you to stop, that's only 30% of what you're able to achieve. It's an urban legend/rumour, but that's what I always tell myself when my runs start to get a bit painful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find that most of the time when I stop exercising its mental rather than physical. For example, in any form of recreational attempt at swimming/running I barely cover any distance, but I did a sprint triathlon a couple of weeks ago and suddenly I was able to massively improve just in order to avoid publicly failing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's something to that "great sprinter, no endurance" thing. A girl on my team is a wicked sprinter, as in beats allot of boys and is (obviously) fastest on the team, but she dies on any sort of long distance running. Or even jogging.

She's fit and healthy, just can't keep up a run for long. I guess it has to do with metabolism or something? Anyway, I don't think it's a health issue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Lol. Learn some anatomy brah.

Type I Fibres
    These fibres, also called slow twitch or slow oxidative fibres, contain large amounts of myoglobin, many mitochondria and many blood capillaries. Type I fibres are red, split ATP at a slow rate, have a slow contraction velocity, very resistant to fatigue and have a high capacity to generate ATP by oxidative metabolic processes. Such fibres are found in large numbers in the postural muscles of the neck.

Type II A Fibres
    These fibres, also called fast twitch or fast oxidative fibres, contain very large amounts of myoglobin, very many mitochondria and very many blood capillaries. Type II A fibres are red, have a very high capacity for generating ATP by oxidative metabolic processes, split ATP at a very rapid rate, have a fast contraction velocity and are resistant to fatigue. Such fibres are infrequently found in humans.

Type II B Fibres
    These fibres, also called fast twitch or fast glycolytic fibres, contain a low content of myoglobin, relatively few mitochondria, relatively few blood capillaries and large amounts glycogen. Type II B fibres are white, geared to generate ATP by anaerobic metabolic processes, not able to supply skeletal muscle fibres continuously with sufficient ATP, fatigue easily, split ATP at a fast rate and have a fast contraction velocity. Such fibres are found in large numbers in the muscles of the arms.

OP is 'finding it hard' because s/he is unfit and needs to be more consistant. Simple.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Lol. Learn some anatomy brah.

Type I Fibres
    Such fibres are found in large numbers in the postural muscles of the neck.

Type II B Fibres
    Such fibres are found in large numbers in the muscles of the arms.

OP is 'finding it hard' because s/he is unfit and needs to be more consistant. Simple.
    'Found in large numbers in the postural muscles of the neck' is not the same as 'only found in the neck', 'brah'.

Don't lecture me on anatomy when the best you can offer is a copy paste from http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/muscle-and-muscle-fibers.html.

If you continue to read where you copied it from it explains that some people have fast and slow twitch mucsles and how to find out what type you have.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    I have a good BMI, I'm only 11 stone and in my mid 20s
    Sorry but BMI doesn't mean ****! It classes Rugby/American Football players who have really low body fat % as overweight LOL FAIL!:cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietAlphaGolf)
    Sorry but BMI doesn't mean SH*T! It classes Rugby/American Football players who have really low body fat % as overweight LOL FAIL!:cool:
    That's really not productive to the disucssion.

OP: Follow couch to 5k, that will get you running 5k in 30 minutes. Then do bridge to 10k, that got me running 6 miles in 45 minutes. Now I can run 8 miles in an hour, not that I do very often, but I can. Better than 20 months ago when I was obese.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is it ur chest or your body? Could be asthma or Exercise induced asthma, which is what i have, i have a good stamina but my chest goes before my body, if i take my inhaler then i can actually breath and run for years, or if i warm up my chest is fine, just short exercise makes my chest really tight and i can't breath for 15 minutes
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    That's really not productive to the disucssion.
    Well excuse me for voicing my opinion.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2011
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.