The Student Room Group

labyrinthitis

Hi

I was diagnosed on Wednesday with labyrinthitis. I’ve been prescribed some medication that I’ve been told is to resolve the problem within my ears, but it’s going to take 6 weeks to finish the course of medication. In the mean time I have been given some medication to help control the symptoms.

Anyway, I’m already three days in to this medication and I’m not seeing much of a difference. It’s really interfering with my life. I haven’t been able to go to uni or work. In fact I haven’t spent all that much time out of the house.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with this horrible condition and how long it might be before I start seeing some definite improvement.

Thanks
labyrinthitis? Isn't that where you watch the film 'The Labyrinth' starring David Bowie over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until it starts interfering with your life?
Original post by Rooster523
labyrinthitis? Isn't that where you watch the film 'The Labyrinth' starring David Bowie over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until it starts interfering with your life?

NO. just google it.
Reply 3
I know someone who has it, sadly she doesn't do much with her life as she can't work :frown: Hope yours isn't as bad as hers.
Original post by sparkly_woo
Hi

I was diagnosed on Wednesday with labyrinthitis. I’ve been prescribed some medication that I’ve been told is to resolve the problem within my ears, but it’s going to take 6 weeks to finish the course of medication. In the mean time I have been given some medication to help control the symptoms.

Anyway, I’m already three days in to this medication and I’m not seeing much of a difference. It’s really interfering with my life. I haven’t been able to go to uni or work. In fact I haven’t spent all that much time out of the house.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with this horrible condition and how long it might be before I start seeing some definite improvement.

Thanks

I got it a few months ago. I suffered for a week thinking I had some dodgy long lasting hangover! :tongue: Tilting/ turning my head, bending over or reaching/ lifting caused really spinning feelings and I toppled over the odd time.

After that week I'd managed to avoid causing the symptoms so much, but as it showed no signs of easing up I went to the Docs.

I got medication which was for a couple for weeks - not quite 6 - and after a couple of days on it I felt a big change. I just felt a bit 'not there' most of the time, and after another 2 weeks or so it felt like it had completely gone.

Try to control it as much you can. It makes a huge difference - I managed to drive to work everyday once I'd learnt what NOT to do, and most of the time just felt a bit nauseous. I stopped lifting and reaching at work and this helped too. It took a good 4 weeks for me to not feel really off-balance, and I think even now I still get the odd 'catching-up' sensation.

You'll be fine though. It's horrible, but it's controllable and it goes eventually. Hope you're feeling well soon :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I got it a few months ago. I suffered for a week thinking I had some dodgy long lasting hangover! :tongue: Tilting/ turning my head, bending over or reaching/ lifting caused really spinning feelings and I toppled over the odd time.

After that week I'd managed to avoid causing the symptoms so much, but as it showed no signs of easing up I went to the Docs.

I got medication which was for a couple for weeks - not quite 6 - and after a couple of days on it I felt a big change. I just felt a bit 'not there' most of the time, and after another 2 weeks or so it felt like it had completely gone.

Try to control it as much you can. It makes a huge difference - I managed to drive to work everyday once I'd learnt what NOT to do, and most of the time just felt a bit nauseous. I stopped lifting and reaching at work and this helped too. It took a good 4 weeks for me to not feel really off-balance, and I think even now I still get the odd 'catching-up' sensation.

You'll be fine though. It's horrible, but it's controllable and it goes eventually. Hope you're feeling well soon :smile:

Thank you so much for that. I did some 'googling' after I got back from seeing my doctor on Wednesday and I honestly don't think that was the best idea. Seems there are quite a few people who live with it for years. I really hope I'm not one of them.

I do hope it gets better. So yours took a few weeks for you to feel any difference, do you mind me asking what medication you were advised to take? Do you have any idea what causes it in the first place. My doctor seems to think it could have been as a result of a bad virus I had nearly 6 years ago, I've had recurring episodes of this dizziness since, just never gotten a diagnosis until now :confused:

Thanks again for replying :smile:
Thank you so much for that. I did some 'googling' after I got back from seeing my doctor on Wednesday and I honestly don't think that was the best idea. Seems there are quite a few people who live with it for years. I really hope I'm not one of them.

I do hope it gets better. So yours took a few weeks for you to feel any difference, do you mind me asking what medication you were advised to take? Do you have any idea what causes it in the first place. My doctor seems to think it could have been as a result of a bad virus I had nearly 6 years ago, I've had recurring episodes of this dizziness since, just never gotten a diagnosis until now :confused:

Thanks again for replying :smile:

I think Labyrinthitis is a general term for similar symptoms which can be caused by different things. I think. I was a little worried as mine came on after I'd been beaten up where I took quite a blow to the side of my head. Obviously, it could have been caused by something else completely for all I know. I have heard that it can be caused by certain viruses, I guess it doesn't take much for your balance to be affected.

Does yours feel similar to a hangover out of interest?

I can't remember the name of the medication off hand... haven't got it on me (been keeping it with me since I startedd to get the odd dizzy spell). It really is horrible at the time, but like I said, do what you can to control it: move slowly, turn yourself with your head (but mind your back :pinch: ), if you need to pick things up stay upright, try hard as you can to find someone else to do lifting and reaching or at least try to lighten the load of what you lift. It does make a HUGE difference once you start avoiding the symptoms.

I really hope you start to see some improvement soon :console:
Reply 7
I think Labyrinthitis is a general term for similar symptoms which can be caused by different things. I think. I was a little worried as mine came on after I'd been beaten up where I took quite a blow to the side of my head. Obviously, it could have been caused by something else completely for all I know. I have heard that it can be caused by certain viruses, I guess it doesn't take much for your balance to be affected.

Does yours feel similar to a hangover out of interest?

I can't remember the name of the medication off hand... haven't got it on me (been keeping it with me since I startedd to get the odd dizzy spell). It really is horrible at the time, but like I said, do what you can to control it: move slowly, turn yourself with your head (but mind your back :pinch: ), if you need to pick things up stay upright, try hard as you can to find someone else to do lifting and reaching or at least try to lighten the load of what you lift. It does make a HUGE difference once you start avoiding the symptoms.

I really hope you start to see some improvement soon :console:

I was asked the same question by my doctor, about the hangover. It would be hard for me to say since I don't drink. But it's just a horrible off balanced not quite with the real world feeling. Which I suppose is also causing the tiredness and the nausea. It's quite horrible.

I've mostly worked out the best ways now to get around it, but I don't feel confident driving the 40 minutes into uni every morning so I've missed a week now, which is really not good at the start of the year.

I have two medications, one to actually treat the problem itself and one to keep the symptoms under control while the other one kicks in. My doctor said a couple of weeks for the medicine to actually have any effect in treating it, so I guess I just have to wait it out.

I hope I feel better soon too :smile: Thanks.

Hi, it's Prochlorperazine :smile: And I didn't have to take anything with it.
Feel better :hugs:
Reply 9
Hi, it's Prochlorperazine :smile: And I didn't have to take anything with it.
Feel better :hugs:

Yeah that's what I'm taking to treat the symptoms but then I'm also taking something called Betahistine Hydrochloride which my doctor told me would treat the actual labyrinthitis.
How long did your tablets take to work?
Yeah that's what I'm taking to treat the symptoms but then I'm also taking something called Betahistine Hydrochloride which my doctor told me would treat the actual labyrinthitis.
How long did your tablets take to work?

Funny how people get treated different. I felt better after just a day, but noticed a huge change after just a few days; I could gently bend forwards and tilt my head. Symptoms were only eased though, it took a while to recover as I said, and it was only then that I could lift things and stretch up without going off balance.
Reply 11
Funny how people get treated different. I felt better after just a day, but noticed a huge change after just a few days; I could gently bend forwards and tilt my head. Symptoms were only eased though, it took a while to recover as I said, and it was only then that I could lift things and stretch up without going off balance.

Yeah the Prochlorperazine definitely eases my symptoms and makes moving around much easier, but I do find when it wears off that my symptoms comes back. I assume I have to just wait for the other tablets to do their job. Sigh :s-smilie:

Getting very bored of sitting around all day. Thanks for all your advice though, much appreciated. :biggrin:
My mum suddenly got it in Sept last year and it lead to neuro-vestibulitis (I think that's the word). She's still suffering now although she's not as bad as she was (she couldn't leave the house either she felt so bad). Some of the medication gave her terrible side effects, she took one set of pills for a day and then gave up because they made her feel so nauseous. The best treatment she's had so far was being taught some excercise to re-train her brain to deal with balance, she's just started them.
Reply 13
Original post by hannah_dru
My mum suddenly got it in Sept last year and it lead to neuro-vestibulitis (I think that's the word). She's still suffering now although she's not as bad as she was (she couldn't leave the house either she felt so bad). Some of the medication gave her terrible side effects, she took one set of pills for a day and then gave up because they made her feel so nauseous. The best treatment she's had so far was being taught some excercise to re-train her brain to deal with balance, she's just started them.

Thanks for your reply. It's actually quite frightening to keep hearing about these people who are still suffering years after the inital onset. I really hope I don't end up like that.

I've managed to survive nearly 24 hours now with no Prochlorperazine and I've felt okay. Still off balance, spacey and rather tired but not to the point where I have felt I need to take the medicine. I really do hope this means a sign of improvement.
Thanks for your reply. It's actually quite frightening to keep hearing about these people who are still suffering years after the inital onset. I really hope I don't end up like that.

I've managed to survive nearly 24 hours now with no Prochlorperazine and I've felt okay. Still off balance, spacey and rather tired but not to the point where I have felt I need to take the medicine. I really do hope this means a sign of improvement.

I think you just have to be persistent with the NHS, it's the only way my mum's gotten anywhere.

Glad you're feeling a little better, I hope it means you're improving too. It seems to be one of those illnesses for which improvement takes a while and occurs in small steps.
Reply 15
Hi, I'm currently suffering from this. Just wondering did yours go away in the end?
I am on my third bout in just over one year , its not as bad as my first episode but still very upsetting...I have again been prescribed prochlorperazine which I took for one week and then cut down as I felt better...huge mistake the spinning came back big time and I'm now back to 3 tabs a day ...its been two weeks and I'm losing control as I don't do illness very well ...one minuit I'm ok the next I'm dizzy ..this sucks ...is there any better medication for this? ...
Hi, my names becca and ive had Labyrinthitis for 9 years and im just recovering from my 14th episode. unfortunatly the answer to your question is how long is a piece of string? Some of my episodes last 3weeks and this current one has lasted 8months now, but my longest one has lasted a full year.I understand what your going through, not being able to be as independant as you usually are. Being pretty much house bound, possible loss of appitite because of the nausia, possile memory loss and lack of concentration along with fatigue and obviously loss of balance.Im also sorry to say that it doesnt get any easier as you get older, but you do learn to cope a bit better.Keep positive and dont let this awful condition get you down, you will come through :smile:
Hi, this is my 4 week house bounded. Depending on the day I might manage to do somethings around the house. Other days like today I feel very light headed and dizzy and spaced out. Ups and downs constantly. It is very demoralising, as when you think you are getting better you suffer a relapse and back to square. It started one morning with the room spinning. The spinning only happened when lying down flat and turning my head or rolling over. The first 10 days or so I had to be lying down with a few pillows avoiding being completely flat. Could not sit up or stand for too long, not because of the spinning, but because of this light-headed, woozy and spaced out feeling and dizziness, rather than actual vertigo or spinnings. After 2 weeks the lying down spinning stopped, but still felt unsteady on flat posture and the symptoms mentioned previously remained when standing. Then one morning the spinning came back and I went back to step one, having to go through all the recovery process again. The spinnings has stopped now when in bed, but the other symptoms when standing or seating persist. I have not left the house in almost 4 weeks. I did try to venture out but all the attempts set me right back. I tried 2 days ago and I have been in bed since then; my allowance of doing things around the house gone. I have been prescribed Prochloperazine 3 mg twice a day. Now increased to 10 three times a day , maximum depending on how I feel. Since I have increased the dose I feel worst, maybe it is the relapse rather than the medicine. The doctor signed me off for further 2 weeks, that will make it 6 weeks off work. This a demoralising condition and sometimes I get worried thinking it might be something more sinister.I am also generally on Citalopram because of anxiety. The GP told me I could not take both medications together, so anxiety kicking in did not help. According to other doctors and famacists they can be taken together so I am starting taking Citalopram again today with the hope that the reduction of anxiety helps. Anyway sometimes I feel I lost all hope. Lying down in the right angle makes me feel well most of the times. I also have buzzing in my ears. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest