The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Economics

Who is applying for straight economics at UCL, and do you think I stand a chance?

I heard it was really competitive there, you can see my grades on my profile.

Cheers :smile:
I started the same course at UCL 3 years ago. I know there were about 15/16 applicants to a place then, not sure now.
Your grades seem good enough, just make sure you get an A* in maths or you're not getting in.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
sorry
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
What's the point of such a thread? Almost a dozen A*s, more than enough As at AS, are you just trying to make others feel worse?
Reply 4
Original post by JOR2010

Original post by JOR2010
What's the point of such a thread? Almost a dozen A*s, more than enough As at AS, are you just trying to make others feel worse?

Hi, no I am just really scared. It's so competitive, my friends all have 12 A*s at GCSE. And there averages are quite high also, my average is only 97% over my top 3
Reply 5
Original post by sam838

Original post by sam838
Hi, no I am just really scared. It's so competitive, my friends all have 12 A*s at GCSE. And there averages are quite high also, my average is only 97% over my top 3

Haha, I see. I've got 12A*s, too, just started AS, so hopefully will do as well as you!
Reply 6
Original post by sam838

Right, you are obviously not telling the truth about your grades or trying to make people feel bad, you know yourself that (assuming you are telling the true) you are probably near the top of the pile for the 2012 cohort of applicants, so don't be a prick about it and start pointless threads
Reply 7
Original post by somaiyar

Original post by somaiyar
Right, you are obviously not telling the truth about your grades or trying to make people feel bad, you know yourself that (assuming you are telling the true) you are probably near the top of the pile for the 2012 cohort of applicants, so don't be a prick about it and start pointless threads

No i am not lying, out of the 10 that applied last year from my school, only 5 of them got through, and most of them had really good grades as well. I don't think its all just about the grades, they look at a range of things, such as personal statement, teacher reference, extra curricular etc...

And to be honest, i don't think my personal statement is that good, neither was my personal statement.
Reply 8
You stand no chance, clearly. Don't bother applying. LSBU are more in your grade range.
Reply 9
Isnt that London South Bank University? I dont think that uni is particularly good, even for a backup
Original post by sam838
Who is applying for straight economics at UCL, and do you think I stand a chance?

I heard it was really competitive there, you can see my grades on my profile.

Cheers :smile:

Dont worry much you have a very good chance of getting an offer with those grades and stop listening to some silly things people on this thread say , it will only make you stressed . I had the same subjects as you just that i also did Accounting and got 5A* and am at UCL for econ . Its fantastic and enjoying it so far . Good luck but i m sure you will be alright . Where else did you apply ?
Reply 11
No one should be put off UCL. From my experience they don't just look at grades, personal statement and a bit of luck play a big role.

I know last year lots of people with 10 A*s got rejected, but that doesn't mean their not good enough. I go to a average sixth form college in Portsmouth and last year two students got into UCL for straight Economics. Don't know about their A levels but at GCSE one had 3A* and 6 A. The other got 2 A* 5A and 3 B.

You have 5 chances just apply, its nonsense people getting scarred about it, in my opinion anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending