The Student Room Group

Dental hygiene and dental therapy 2012 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helpin

Original post by helpin
Thanks for getting back so soon , they didnt really say when just said sometime next yr, really nervous though do you suggest any books or reading material? Do they ask any random questions or what would you do if....? Ive heard some unis do that? Also are there many people interviewing and how long does the interview usually last?
How have you found the course far? Is it what you expected it to be? :smile:

Hey
what gcse's did you get
as levels?
Reply 41
Original post by chrissi#
I'm studying alevels, what about you?
And where have you applied to? =)

I'm studying A-Levels as well. I've decided to apply to Teesside, Edinburgh, Dundee, Cardiff and Portsmouth. I'm really hoping I get in this year lol =P
Reply 42
Original post by vix c

Hi everyone, I am applying to Leeds for diploma in Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Anyone else applying to Leeds?. I hope we find out next month if we have got a interview or not, I hate waiting :-)
Reply 43
Original post by helpin
Thanks, I am really nervous tho :/ To be honest I dont think youre at too much of a disadvantage, many at my school are still at the begining stages so dont worry. I only did mines earlier coz I wanted UCAS done so I could focus on jan exams. Just out of curiosity where are you applying ? and what are your as grades like if you dont mind , you dont have to answer if you dont want to. Do you know many people in your school that are applying for this course, at mine I am the only one however we have like 6/7 people for dentistry though. I was quite suprised that I recieved interviews now wasnt expecting them just yet, quite baffled really. :smile:

I'm sure you will do really well. getting a bit worried because quite a few girls have started going for their interviews and getting offers/rejections and so considering my application is in process i slightly worried. yeha i have january exams too but since my part is done im just hoping my school hurries up. no im the only one in my school for this course but there are about 10 dental applicants. 2 girls applied to portsmouht for this, as their back up but they got rejected straight away. ermm my grades..,...... not your 3A's i guess but hoping it will be ok in the end. im applying to portsmouth cardiff liverpool bham and dundee
Original post by helpin
Yh I got another interview for portsmouth that is also around feb time too. To be honest I would prefer a one on one interview , less scary for me but discussion hopefully wont be too bad, do you know what kind of topics are usually brought up? 12 places .. means its really competitive to get into, only 60/70 interviews I was expecting a lot more.
Wow course sounds hectic , I guess because its three yrs there must be alot of stuff to learn in that space of time. I always thought that first yr would be easier after alevels but not for this course i guess. Oh and I wanted to ask you how the Uni is like itself, personally I think current students can really tell you the most about it. I really appreciate you answering my qs, despite being really busy with final year and exams ect. Thankyou

Ee well good luck for both :smile: to be honest when I was in the interview selection process it was reeeally personal statement based... but then they ask about dental team, your people skills, manual dexterity... pretty standard topics you'd expect really, so don't panic!

Yeah Manchester is reeeeeeeeally competitive, but because there's no funding available I think it puts a lot of people off/influences them to maybe put it as insurance rather than firm.

It is hectic and there is a lot to learn, its worth it though and I am enjoying it despite the stress ha! :smile: to be honest I don't do much in uni outside of the dental school...there are lots of socials so most nights out I'm with other BScs/dental students. I play netball for the dentists as well, like in the campus league and at sports days.. Other than that just doing uni work ha.. Because there are only 12 of you and you're together an awful lot of the time you all get to know each other really quickly even if you don't stay the best of friends throughout the course. Like a little uni family :smile: that said, there are loads of different people on the course, people that live in halls, people that commute, a-level students, nurses, mature students... It really is a wide range of people but its good I think.

I don't know what else to tell you ha, but feel free to ask more ques, its a good distraction for finals coursework!!
Reply 45
Original post by claireytoothfairy
Ee well good luck for both :smile: to be honest when I was in the interview selection process it was reeeally personal statement based... but then they ask about dental team, your people skills, manual dexterity... pretty standard topics you'd expect really, so don't panic!

Yeah Manchester is reeeeeeeeally competitive, but because there's no funding available I think it puts a lot of people off/influences them to maybe put it as insurance rather than firm.

It is hectic and there is a lot to learn, its worth it though and I am enjoying it despite the stress ha! :smile: to be honest I don't do much in uni outside of the dental school...there are lots of socials so most nights out I'm with other BScs/dental students. I play netball for the dentists as well, like in the campus league and at sports days.. Other than that just doing uni work ha.. Because there are only 12 of you and you're together an awful lot of the time you all get to know each other really quickly even if you don't stay the best of friends throughout the course. Like a little uni family :smile: that said, there are loads of different people on the course, people that live in halls, people that commute, a-level students, nurses, mature students... It really is a wide range of people but its good I think.

I don't know what else to tell you ha, but feel free to ask more ques, its a good distraction for finals coursework!!

Hi Claire,

What would be your estimate at the ratio of male:female on your course and other years? From my recent experience of the profession, I have noticed that it is a predominatly female role. Im in the process of applying and as a man myself, this doesn't deter me, just interested to know.

Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jimky
Hi Claire,

What would be your estimate at the ratio of male:female on your course and other years? From my recent experience of the profession, I have noticed that it is a predominatly female role. Im in the process of applying and as a man myself, this doesn't deter me, just interested to know.

Cheers.

Hiiiii. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! Well there are 2 males and 10 females in my year, 3 out of 12 in the year below, but none in 1st year this year. It is very much a female majority but the boys fit in fine haha (though they probably get more abuse than the rest of us since we all gang up on them!)

Hope this is useful x
Reply 47
just sent off my ucas! eeek I've applied at Cardiff, birmingham, portsmouth and Liverpool.
Reply 48
Ee well good luck for both to be honest when I was in the interview selection process it was reeeally personal statement based... but then they ask about dental team, your people skills, manual dexterity... pretty standard topics you'd expect really, so don't panic!

It is hectic and there is a lot to learn, its worth it though and I am enjoying it despite the stress ha! to be honest I don't do much in uni outside of the dental school...there are lots of socials so most nights out I'm with other BScs/dental students. I play netball for the dentists as well, like in the campus league and at sports days.. Other than that just doing uni work ha.. Because there are only 12 of you and you're together an awful lot of the time you all get to know each other really quickly even if you don't stay the best of friends throughout the course. Like a little uni family that said, there are loads of different people on the course, people that live in halls, people that commute, a-level students, nurses, mature students... It really is a wide range of people but its good I think.

Aww thanks, right now I am gonna just focus on exams and then worry about interviews but u know its still at the back of my mind, how long does it usually take to get a reply from the uni after the interview? I also wanted to ask about the manual dexterity, is it better to bring in something as proof , or just talk about it , I wrote about that in my personal statement so shall i bring something in? I also wanted to ask you, umm you know if they ask why did you choose this course.. which sounds like an average normal question .. if you kind of cant explain yourself properly like i know why but i always struggle to explain it properly is this a big negative against you I am scared il mess it up explaining my self and they just waffle nonsense , also I was thinking that maybe after I wanna do dentistry is it worthwhile mentioning that to them ?

Yh i have heard its pretty competitive too , however with the tution fees rising do you think less people will apply here rather than a funded uni ?
wow 12 people sounds quite like a cosy family , is there like a wide diversity within the group of people from differenet backgrounds and cultures ?
Thanks for all your help & good luck with your finals :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by shemi

Original post by shemi
I'm studying A-Levels as well. I've decided to apply to Teesside, Edinburgh, Dundee, Cardiff and Portsmouth. I'm really hoping I get in this year lol =P

which university would you really love to go to?
good luck too :smile: x
Reply 50
which university would you really love to go to?
good luck too :smile: x

I would absolutely love to go to Portsmouth, but because of competition being so stiff, i'll go anywhere i get an offer :] if i get an offer lol. I already have an interview at Portsmouth so i guess that's the first step =P

what's your first choice? =] x
Reply 51
Original post by shemi

Original post by shemi
I would absolutely love to go to Portsmouth, but because of competition being so stiff, i'll go anywhere i get an offer :] if i get an offer lol. I already have an interview at Portsmouth so i guess that's the first step =P

what's your first choice? =] x

Oh myy, congratulations =D I applied to Portsmouth but I haven't heard a word yet! When is your interview, are you scared? =o
My first choice also depends on what offers I get (if I get any) haha.
Oh by the way, for nhs funded courses are we still able to take out maintainence loans etc?

congratulations once again =)) x
Reply 52
Original post by helpin
also I was thinking that maybe after I wanna do dentistry is it worthwhile mentioning that to them ?

Hi, I'm a dental therapy student in my second year studying at UHI...
I personally wouldn't say to mention it as it may bring the question on, why are you applying for dental hygiene and therapy first!

Oh and also someone mentioned about taking something along to show manual dexterity, I did and only showed it in the interviews who asked, I think it definitely helps!

The key thing to know and be able to demonstrate in interviews and personal statements is knowing and understanding the role and scope of practice of a therapist. Also work experience was necessary in all my interviews I had.

Good luck guys!
Reply 53
Hi, I'm a dental therapy student in my second year studying at UHI...
I personally wouldn't say to mention it as it may bring the question on, why are you applying for dental hygiene and therapy first!

Oh and also someone mentioned about taking something along to show manual dexterity, I did and only showed it in the interviews who asked, I think it definitely helps!

The key thing to know and be able to demonstrate in interviews and personal statements is knowing and understanding the role and scope of practice of a therapist. Also work experience was necessary in all my interviews I had.

Good luck guys!

Hi, wow thats really good , what is it like at UHI teaching, environment ect?
yh I didnt think of that , I think they would for definate ask that, thanks! :smile:
In my personal statement I talked about the work experience more, so I think they will probably ask about roles ect . I really enjoyed work experience so I think I could propably talk about it, I am just worried about any other questions.
Reply 54
I already have an interview at Portsmouth so i guess that's the first step =P

Hi welldone on your interview! I got one for portsmouth too when is yours? Where else did you apply and have you got any offers/interviews from other places? :smile:
Reply 55
Oh myy, congratulations =D I applied to Portsmouth but I haven't heard a word yet! When is your interview, are you scared? =o
My first choice also depends on what offers I get (if I get any) haha.
Oh by the way, for nhs funded courses are we still able to take out maintainence loans etc?

congratulations once again =)) x

It's on feb 14th, valentine's day lol XD when is yours? i am a little scared, but not too much, will probably be a bundle of nerves when i'm actually there lol but oh well :smile:

I would think so, but i'm not entirely sure. It could be worth checking this with student finance. x
Reply 56
Hello. I'd be so grateful if someone answered my question: I do a lot of cross-stitching(sewing), would that count as manual dexterity?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 57
Original post by mariam06
Hello. I'd be so grateful if someone answered my question: I do a lot of cross-stitching(sewing), would that count as manual dexterity?

Thanks in advance.

Yes
Reply 58
Original post by helpin
Hi welldone on your interview! I got one for portsmouth too when is yours? Where else did you apply and have you got any offers/interviews from other places? :smile:

thanks ^.^ & well done to you as well! mine is on feb 14th, when is your one?
i applied, teesside, cardiff, portsmouth, dundee & edinburgh. the only other place i have an interview from is teesside in january.
how about you? have you heard anything from the uni's you've applied for?
Reply 59
Me too, 14th feb ! mines is in the afternoon 1:00pm u ?
I applied for birmingham, manchester, cardiff, portsmouth and liverpool. Ive got an interview for manchester but they only said some time next year. Im glad they gave us sometime before the interview, I know for dentistry some people only have 2 weeks! when did you apply ? I did begining of nov, and got replys 10 days later which i wasnt expecting but waiting is killing me, I really wanna go birmingham and have heard no word from them yet. Do you have any prefernce as to where u wanna go? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest