The Student Room Group

So my GCSE result were not what I expected. What to do to now to get into medicine?

2 a*s 5as 3bs c
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by am123am
So these are my GCSE results:
Maths-A*
Art-A*
Double Award Science-AA(A* in chem and bio, B in physics. averaged out as double A)
Geography-A
R.E-A
Statistics-A
Additional Maths-B
English-B
English Lit-B
French-C

So basically every subject that I got an A in, I was predicted A*. All my A's are less than 4% of A* some being 1 mark off and got remarked but marks did not change. Add Maths im actually quite good at, but then test went horrible for me so i knew i was getting that B. In english and english I was always sitting between a A and a B, both were 1 mark of A's. Waiting for English remark results to come back still.(fingers crossed and A!) Then that C in french was inevitable, always struggled with it. More to the point, even though my results were decent I was still pretty gutted.:frown:

My heart is still set on medicine and for AS i am doing Chemistry, biology, Maths and Art. I am very focused and plan on working very hard and plan on getting a chem tudor if needed.
Im not planning on going to oxbridge or anything but what should i do now to be able to get into a good Med school?
Should I repeat any of my GSCES? for example add maths since im already doing as maths this year and the specification is very similar? would unis even care about repeats of GCSES?
What universities should i consider?
What others things look good on a personal statement for medicine?
How to prepare for UKCAT and other similar aptitude tests?
I am grateful for any of these questions to be answered. thankkks:biggrin:

:s-smilie:

Those are a very decent set of results, probably fine for everywhere except B'ham and (perhaps) GKT. You also have Bs (or better) in English and Maths, so you're okay. I'm slightly dumbfounded that you'd actually consider those grades bad enough to merit repeating them. I honestly came into this thread expecting to see a string of Ds and Es.

You should definitely not be looking to retake your GCSEs, concentrate on doing well in your AS levels! Besides which getting into med school isn't all about grades (much less GCSEs), so also try and sort out some work experience.

As for the UKCAT, it's way too early for you to be thinking about it. Start preparing for it summer of 2012. There are various prep guides, etc, which you can buy.

Further info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending