The Student Room Group

a-level chemistry vs btec chemistry?

Hi guys. I'm in a predicament. I currently study as level chemistry and have been for a month. However, I am finding it hard and don't seem to get it. In my lesson yesterday, I felt like I wanted to cry. On a test I just got an E and I was an A grade student at GCSE. I've been considering the BTEC version which my college offers but i'm not sure. I want to study pharmacy, possibly. I have emailed unis to see if they would accept the BTEC. I'm so confused at the moment. I just want to know what the pros and cons are for both of these options. The exam board is edexcel if that's any help.
P.S. Sorry if there is already a thread like this. :colondollar:
apparently a lot of unis dont accept BTEC.

have you considered a tutor, or going to see your chem teacher when you dont understand?
Do A level chemistry.
Yeah, stick with A-level Chemistry. I'm in A2 right now and to be honest it's only now starting to come together in such a way that i understand it. Keep reading over work and just spend lots of time on it and you'll be okay. Perhaps look at getting a tutor if you find yourself really struggling.

I wouldn't advise BTEC Chemistry, not for pharmacy or any medical type career as they're pretty competitive courses to get into... and A-levels look more impressive :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 4 Moment Life
Hi guys. I'm in a predicament. I currently study as level chemistry and have been for a month. However, I am finding it hard and don't seem to get it. In my lesson yesterday, I felt like I wanted to cry. On a test I just got an E and I was an A grade student at GCSE. I've been considering the BTEC version which my college offers but i'm not sure. I want to study pharmacy, possibly. I have emailed unis to see if they would accept the BTEC. I'm so confused at the moment. I just want to know what the pros and cons are for both of these options. The exam board is edexcel if that's any help.

There's the problem to be honest. You need to stop thinking it's just like GCSE. It's not. You need to work hard and go for help if you get stuck.

Taking a BTEC is not a good idea, they may be on the same level as the A-level, but BTECs are looked down on by universities. Stick to the A-level if you want to do pharmacy. Its hard work but worth it.
I got an A at GCSE Chem as well and when I first started AS Chem I put in the same level of effort as GCSE but then I got a U in the January module after that I put in so much effort make revision cards and took them everywhere with me did all past paper I ended up with an A for AS when I retook in June
Basically at AS you need to put in the effort for good grades
(edited 12 years ago)
Woah one test doesn't determine whether you leave the course! Don't think like that, Chemistry is tough but if you're committed to the course and are determined with the right guidelines, you'll be fine :smile: EVERYONE gets E/U grades the first time around in class tests, it takes a lot to get used to because you're learning from a whole different perspective. Just keep to the right guidelines by asking people, teachers or anyone for help. I can tell you that past papers are your best revision source so try to get all the exam papers from your exam board.
Reply 7

it will depend on the uni and course you apply for but usually btec is not accepted as its more of a 'taster' of what A level chem is like... most people who took btec chem ended up taking a level chem the next year for it to b accepted at uni
Original post by LifeIsGood
Woah one test doesn't determine whether you leave the course! Don't think like that, Chemistry is tough but if you're committed to the course and are determined with the right guidelines, you'll be fine :smile: EVERYONE gets E/U grades the first time around in class tests, it takes a lot to get used to because you're learning from a whole different perspective. Just keep to the right guidelines by asking people, teachers or anyone for help. I can tell you that past papers are your best revision source so try to get all the exam papers from your exam board.

That test did determine whether we left the course or not. If u got an E or above, you could stay. If you got a U, you had to leave.
Reply 9
Original post by Bellissima
apparently a lot of unis dont accept BTEC.

have you considered a tutor, or going to see your chem teacher when you dont understand?

i think unis do, but it had to be distinction
That test did determine whether we left the course or not. If u got an E or above, you could stay. If you got a U, you had to leave.

Oh wow, that's pretty harsh! I'd ask them to reconsider if you wanted to do it really badly but obviously you need A Level Chemistry at a minimum B grade to get into Pharmacy, I honestly don't think you can get in without that.
Doesn't matter what you have at GCSE

One girl I know got a B in double science but is now studying chemistry at uni now, she achieved a B at AS but pulled it up to an A at A2.

She said, she didn't let her GCSE grade hold her back, she made sure she worked harder than everyone in the class, doing everything she could.

Wait till November to decide but make sure you do whatever you can to understand the topics.

I'm afraid it won't get easier.
Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'm going to have a word with my teacher and ask about the course fully, what i'm going to learn and borrow loads of books from the library and read and read. If worse comes to the worse, I can get a tutor. :smile:
Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'm going to have a word with my teacher and ask about the course fully, what i'm going to learn and borrow loads of books from the library and read and read. If worse comes to the worse, I can get a tutor. :smile:

What exam board are you on?

hi, im in the same boat as you! I did badly in one of the practice tests we did last week and was unsure if A-level chemistry was right for me. But I bought one of those As-level chemistry revision books and even though the exam isn't until January, im looking through it at least a hour a night and it has really worked and I feel much more confident and understand everything where I went wrong!

My advice to you is buy one of the books (just look for your exam spec revision books on amazon) and look through it regually. Honestly they really help and make you much more confident.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LifeIsGood
What exam board are you on?

Edexcel
Original post by the mezzil
hi, im in the same boat as you! I did badly in one of the practice tests we did last week and was unsure if A-level chemistry was right for me. But I bought one of those As-level chemistry revision books and even though the exam isn't until January, im looking through it at least a hour a night and it has really worked and I feel much more confident and understand everything where I went wrong!

My advice to you is buy one of the books (just look for your exam spec revision books on amazon) and look through it regually. Honestly they really help and make you much more confident.

What book(s) do you use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending