The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by cat_2002_12
Even secondary?

Yeah all applications. I looked on gttr and thats what it said. I sent mine off on november 8th so just gotta wait. Hope i get offered an interview though.
Reply 241
Original post by wrighsar
Subject : PGCE Mathematics
Universities:- Chester, Exeter, MMU , Sheffield Hallm
Date sent :- 3rd November 2011

I've got an interview at Chester :smile: on 30th November - anyone else going to be there too?
Reply 242
Hello!

I've just started doing a degree in English Literature (which I love), however for a while when choosing what subject to study at university it was tough deciding between this and a BA in Primary Education. People have told me that I have a way with children and as I would love a job ultimately helps others, it seems natural for me to take a Primary PGCE after my degree :smile:.

I know I'm only early on in my degree, but I'm curious about what I would need to be doing and reading in order to increase my probability of getting on to a PGCE post grad. course. For example, are there any educational books or magazines I need to have a look at? How much experience will I need before I apply? (Will a two week placement be enough, or would I have to do it over the space of a year?)

Also, if anyone could say which the best unis to do this course are, that would be helpful too!

Sorry for the fairly long post, but thanks for reading and I hope someone can offer some advice :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bionic07
Hmm not as much as I thought - the interview was less about me and more about how I would teach and respond to certain situations. I think your subject knowledge is more vital for the group discussion and presentation to be honest... I think if you do really we in those then you will sail through...

Great, thank you for the advice! :smile:

Bet you can't wait to find out :P
Original post by Flan!
Hello!

I've just started doing a degree in English Literature (which I love), however for a while when choosing what subject to study at university it was tough deciding between this and a BA in Primary Education. People have told me that I have a way with children and as I would love a job ultimately helps others, it seems natural for me to take a Primary PGCE after my degree :smile:.

I know I'm only early on in my degree, but I'm curious about what I would need to be doing and reading in order to increase my probability of getting on to a PGCE post grad. course. For example, are there any educational books or magazines I need to have a look at? How much experience will I need before I apply? (Will a two week placement be enough, or would I have to do it over the space of a year?)

Also, if anyone could say which the best unis to do this course are, that would be helpful too!

Sorry for the fairly long post, but thanks for reading and I hope someone can offer some advice :smile:

You could read the TES (online or the paper version), altho it's not essential. As for experience - two weeks is generally minimum, but more couldn't hurt! You could consider things like playschemes, after school clubs, Brownies etc too.
Original post by juicyfruit
That's really weird she asked you about Biology for a Physics interview? Did you get asked much Physics related stuff? What sorts of things did you get asked? (I've got Cambridge next week, am bricking it!!!)

Yeah i know! Apparently its because we need to be able to teach all the sciences up to gcse.... but obviously if i was going to teach a lesson on plants i would have first read all the relevant stuff!

Other than that just got asked the obvious things... why teaching, why physics, what can you do to inspire young people in the classroom and that sort of stuff....

and we had to do a written assignment on the issues facing science teachers now and in the coming years....

Good luck with yours, just stay calm and prepare some answers to the obvious questions. x
Original post by victoria13
Yeah i know! Apparently its because we need to be able to teach all the sciences up to gcse.... but obviously if i was going to teach a lesson on plants i would have first read all the relevant stuff!

Other than that just got asked the obvious things... why teaching, why physics, what can you do to inspire young people in the classroom and that sort of stuff....

and we had to do a written assignment on the issues facing science teachers now and in the coming years....

Good luck with yours, just stay calm and prepare some answers to the obvious questions. x

Thanks for the advice and good luck, let us know what the outcome is please! :smile:

I'm preparing like made at the moment, just hope it all pays off!!
Eeee!! Me too (I think I saw you on the other thread actually, did you apply Nov 2?)
Where have you applied to?

And I don't understand why they've told you this should be a problem. The GTTR says, and I quote:
"England and Wales: You also need to have GCSE English and Maths at grade C or above. Primary and middle years applicants also need GCSE Science to the same standard. Equivalent qualifications are also acceptable."

You should be fine, and if they do kick up a fuss, you've technically got more grades (and better ones!) than half the people applying!
Hell, I got a BB at GCSE Science!
I would contact the university and see what they think. It's likely that it won't be a problem, but if for some reason it is I think they would just ask you to take a GCSE Science equivalency test.
Original post by coffeepirate
Eeee!! Me too (I think I saw you on the other thread actually, did you apply Nov 2?)

Yes that's me!!!! Applied Nov 2 - how weird is it, I was having a proper meltdown yesterday allll day and TODAY I check GTTR and I've been invited for interview!! Soooo happy - I know I'm not in yet, but still happy!! I've applied to Leicester Uni, and interview is 5th December. How about you? Have u applied to start Sept 2012?

And I don't understand why they've told you this should be a problem. The GTTR says, and I quote:
"England and Wales: You also need to have GCSE English and Maths at grade C or above. Primary and middle years applicants also need GCSE Science to the same standard. Equivalent qualifications are also acceptable."

You should be fine, and if they do kick up a fuss, you've technically got more grades (and better ones!) than half the people applying!

Original post by glittersticks
I would contact the university and see what they think. It's likely that it won't be a problem, but if for some reason it is I think they would just ask you to take a GCSE Science equivalency test.

Thank you - that's exactly what I did. They forwarded the email to the relevant equivalency person, who hasn't replied for 2 weeks, but I'm guessing they've accepted my GNVQ Science qualification as I've been invited for interview! :biggrin: Are u applying?
Original post by coffeepirate

Yes that's me!!!! Applied Nov 2 - how weird is it, I was having a proper meltdown yesterday allll day and TODAY I check GTTR and I've been invited for interview!! Soooo happy - I know I'm not in yet, but still happy!! I've applied to Leicester Uni, and interview is 5th December. How about you? Have u applied to start Sept 2012?
Has any one heard anything from Goldsmiths?
check track every day and nothing! getting worried now.
I've been invited for an interview wahooooo!!!

It's for upper primary, on 5th December, at Leicester Uni, anybody else got the same?
Original post by Daftdonkey
I've just logged onto track and I have an interview :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
For PGCE Upper Primary at University of Leicester on 5th December - anyone else got one on that day?
:smile:

Yes me!!!!! Exactly the same as yours - upper primary, 5th Dec!
Original post by tigergrowl
Thank you - that's exactly what I did. They forwarded the email to the relevant equivalency person, who hasn't replied for 2 weeks, but I'm guessing they've accepted my GNVQ Science qualification as I've been invited for interview! :biggrin: Are u applying?

Glad to hear you've got an interview, tigergrowl! I thought it would be fine :wink: I'm applying to UEL for first choice (2nd time round applicant) for the Primary PGCE.
I have applied to Liverpool Hope, Birmingham, Newcastle and Bristol for PGCE Geography :smile:

Recieved a letter today from Liverpool Hope inviting me to an interview on 30th Nov! :biggrin: Anyone else got an interview at Liverpool Hope?
Original post by tigergrowl
Yes me!!!!! Exactly the same as yours - upper primary, 5th Dec!

Congrats!! I guess I will see you there then! :biggrin:
Original post by Daftdonkey
Congrats!! I guess I will see you there then! :biggrin:

Thank you... congrats to you too!! If u hear anyone go 'psst daft donkey'... u know its me :colondollar:
Original post by glittersticks
Glad to hear you've got an interview, tigergrowl! I thought it would be fine :wink: I'm applying to UEL for first choice (2nd time round applicant) for the Primary PGCE.

Haha thank you!! Aah great, sending lots of good luck!!!!! :smile:
Reply 259
I'm just in the process of applying to do a PGCE in French, although I've put off writing my personal statement up until now.

I'm applying to Oxford, Edinburgh, York, and Exeter.

Latest

Trending

Trending