The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
Are you in your third year, then? What course are you on?

In theory it'd be easier for me to be at Middlesex as I wouldn't need a maintenance loan, but then I'd never see any of my Bristol friends. I do have a feeling I may have been in that lecture you're talking about :tongue:

Yep, Early Childhood Studies. The best was the career prospects lecture... did you know that, amongst other things, the 2008 graduates went on be retail salespeople and air stewardesses?

:huff:
Original post by *Boofle*
Yep, Early Childhood Studies. The best was the career prospects lecture... did you know that, amongst other things, the 2008 graduates went on be retail salespeople and air stewardesses?

:huff:

I'm doing Education Studies. You're safe and can now moan about your course without fear :tongue:

I was definitely there! She didn't even mention those that went on to do PGCE's. It was all about working in a shop, apparantly.... And scaring everyone about UWE's admissions tests, and how they have more questions and a higher pass rate.
I'm doing Education Studies. You're safe and can now moan about your course without fear :tongue:

I was definitely there! She didn't even mention those that went on to do PGCE's. It was all about working in a shop, apparantly.... And scaring everyone about UWE's admissions tests, and how they have more questions and a higher pass rate.

Hahaha, we probably share some tutors.

Fair play to you for having a go anyway despite how discouraging they've been... I remember the lecture where we were made to raise our hands if we were applying (only about seven did) and were then counted so the tutors could take bets on how few would get in. I was never going to apply to UWE anyway, want to move a bit closer to home if I do get onto the course.

The numeracy test scares me! I have however ordered a revision guide :biggrin:
Hahaha, we probably share some tutors.

Fair play to you for having a go anyway despite how discouraging they've been... I remember the lecture where we were made to raise our hands if we were applying (only about seven did) and were then counted so the tutors could take bets on how few would get in. I was never going to apply to UWE anyway, want to move a bit closer to home if I do get onto the course.

The numeracy test scares me! I have however ordered a revision guide :biggrin:

A lot of people I know are going a lot closer to home. I just don't want to never have time to see all my other Bristol frends.

Hopefully they don't take too long to reply. That way I have a chance at an interview, or my other choice will be sent my application early enough to still give me a chance.

I have ordered them too :biggrin: I just need a brush-up, seeing as it's been 4 years since I've had an actual maths lesson!
A lot of people I know are going a lot closer to home. I just don't want to never have time to see all my other Bristol frends.

Hopefully they don't take too long to reply. That way I have a chance at an interview, or my other choice will be sent my application early enough to still give me a chance.

I have ordered them too :biggrin: I just need a brush-up, seeing as it's been 4 years since I've had an actual maths lesson!

Yeah, an early interview would be nice for that reason. Hopefully I'll receive some form of acknowledgement by GTTR by the end of next week. It is GCSE maths we have to revise isn't it? (that sounds really stupid but they haven't been clear on my course!)
Yeah, an early interview would be nice for that reason. Hopefully I'll receive some form of acknowledgement by GTTR by the end of next week. It is GCSE maths we have to revise isn't it? (that sounds really stupid but they haven't been clear on my course!)

They kind of beat around the bush, but from what I gathered it's KS3.
Reply 66
Original post by Opalfire
In theory going to oxbridge holds weight, in reality - not alot! I did an exchange at oxford university and it hasnt helped me much at all with regard to jobs. If anything they think if your rich enough to go there (again another misconception) then you don't really need the job, someone from the outskirts of a big city who went to an average university may be given the upper hand instead!

Another thing to consider is, for my course only 6 universities offer it in the country which further narrows down my choices hence i cannot actively choose many old skool universities to study at for my pgce!

My wife is Chinese and basically wants me to go to Oxford or Cambridge (face factor) and also with regard to international school particularly in China carries weight. I of course want to go. I went to an average Uni and like the challenge and structure of the Oxford programme.
Reply 67
Original post by buttons45
There is 'The good teacher training guide 2011' by the University of Buckingham (search on google for PDF version).

It ranks all of the ITT providers and looks at primary/ secondary and universities/SCITT/EBITT (employment based) serperately and also compares the different routes. It also looks at factors like entry qualifications to get onto the courses, the providers' rating by Ofsted and the take up of teaching posts afterwards - these are used to form the ranking.

It is quite interesting and could be helpful if unsure which route to train on. I used it to compare universities in the area I knew I wanted to train in as they all sounded similar from the course information on their websites. But ovbiously there are lots of diferent factors to take into account when picking where to train also.

Fantastic read - basically an entire paper saying that Oxford University is the best place to do your ITT. :smile:
Subject: PGCE Primary

Universitys: Cambridge, UEA

Date Sent: 11th October!

Soo nervous! Good luck to everyone!
Reply 69
Anyone heard anything back yet? i sent mine in the day the gttr opened and have only had an acknowledgement so far!
Reply 70
I have had an email from Exeter to say they have received my application...I'm pretty nervous now!

Vicki
Reply 71
Course: PGCE Primary
Universities: Cambridge and Reading
Date sent: 13th October

Eeeek! Good luck to everyone else applying :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by cat_2002_12
As I said before can you please educate headteachers on this point since i have spoken to a fair few who are completely opposed to what you just said

There is 'The good teacher training guide 2011' by the University of Buckingham (search on google for PDF version).

It ranks all of the ITT providers and looks at primary/ secondary and universities/SCITT/EBITT (employment based) serperately and also compares the different routes. It also looks at factors like entry qualifications to get onto the courses, the providers' rating by Ofsted and the take up of teaching posts afterwards - these are used to form the ranking.

Cat it seems quite clear that traditional universities - such as Oxbridge - come out on top in this guide. Care to respond considering that a factor of these tables includes actual teacher training standards, student-mentor ratios and the all important employment statistics, of which again the 'better' universities in the traditional sense are top?
But my point is you are suggesting head teachers care AND THEY DON'T
My main worry with what u said is that people may believe you and put themselves out to apply to such unis when a much more convenient Uni will leave them in the exact same position in the end. And it is SUCH a myth that headteachers care. I am willing to believe they might be SLIGHTLY better in terms of training but I don't think this is so important that you should ridicule people who choose not to do this for practical reasons
Reply 75

It is quite interesting and could be helpful if unsure which route to train on. I used it to compare universities in the area I knew I wanted to train in as they all sounded similar from the course information on their websites. But ovbiously there are lots of diferent factors to take into account when picking where to train also.

This is fantastic, thanks very much! And thanks to all who offered advice.

I'm actually doing work experience in a primary school now. I spoke to the Head and she confirmed that where you take your PGCE isn't nearly as important at the references you get from the placements themselves.

If anyone has any thoughts/experience related to the courses at Brighton, Chichester, Reading or Goldsmiths, feel free to share.

C4OShea - Shush. Yes, Oxford and Cambridge are clearly excellent places to do your PGCE. And yes, I also have heard that if one plans to teach abroad then holding a PGCE from a university with a prestigious name attached puts you in a good position to gain employment.

However, there are so many reasons why people choose to go to do PGCEs at particular insitutions. I went to a top 5 redbrick university and if I choose to do a PGCE am most likely to go to the ones listed above, none of which are regarded as 'traditional' in the sense you are talking about. I will do this because I want to stay local, it is financially more viable, and 3 of them are rated Outstanding by Ofsted anyway. Maybe I won't be able to compete on the international market, but meh, I'll take my chances.

In any case, your 'I'm right and you're wrong, so na na na na na' type attitude is petty and unhelpful. Whatever your views on the issue of redbricks versus non-redbrick (and given how you disparage your own university as 'average', you clearly hold some sort of insecurity on this issue), hjacking this thread to expound those views to the point that they have lost focus with regard to the general content of discussion as well as offend in the process isn't in keeping with the nature of this thread, which is to advise and support. Once again, shush.
Reply 76
Universities: University of Leicester and University of Warwick
Date Sent: 31st October

Good luck everyone! Anyone else applying to Leicester or Warwick?

:smile:
Reply 77
Subject: PGCE English
Universities: Cambridge, Oxford, King's, IoE

Anyone else applied for English?
Universities: UEL/London South Bank
Date Sent: To referees, today (31st October) hopefully I get it soon!

Good luck everyone!!!
Reply 79
Original post by Jabawocci
This is fantastic, thanks very much! And thanks to all who offered advice.

Hijacking this thread to expound those views to the point that they have lost focus with regard to the general content of discussion as well as offend in the process isn't in keeping with the nature of this thread, which is to advise and support. Once again, shush.

Okay this will be my last comment on the issue. I just did not want people believe the tripe Cat was spouting - she even started backtracking after Jabawocci supplied the link. Apply for the best, if you think you can get in; don't skimp when it comes to education. End.

Latest

Trending

Trending