The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying too, not decided between GTP and PGCE yet...
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
I'm applying too, not decided between GTP and PGCE yet...

Well, I think it really depends on if you need to earn while you train. I always imagined the people doing GTP are people who have been working already and maybe have a morgage/family so they need to keep earning. If you google the difference between them you'll find loads of info about it.

But you can apply for both, so why not just do that???

x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Good luck everyone!

It can be a long old slog to get your place, so don't despair if you struggle to get onto a course at first. I know that History and other subjects at Oxford were recruiting via Clearing right up until September.
Hey guys,

I am hoping to apply for Secondary Physics PGCE and have just started the application form....i have a few questions though....

In the education section it says to give an english, maths and science gcse thing and then to add other qualifications below.... do i add the english and maths and science ones again, especially as i have a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry?

Also, in the degree breakdown, do you put individual modules or just the subject?

Thanks guys xx
Reply 5
Original post by victoria13
Hey guys,

I am hoping to apply for Secondary Physics PGCE and have just started the application form....i have a few questions though....

In the education section it says to give an english, maths and science gcse thing and then to add other qualifications below.... do i add the english and maths and science ones again, especially as i have a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry?

Also, in the degree breakdown, do you put individual modules or just the subject?

Thanks guys xx

In the individual breakdown you need to list the modules names that made up your degree. So my first year marks didn't count at uni, the 2nd year was 30% and final year was 70%. I worked out the percentage that each individual module made up towards my final grade - eg: 'Power and Desire in Rennaisance Literature' - '3.75%'. etc.
At my interview they had a print out of that page, and they used it to gauge where my knowledge strengths and weaknesses were, and how my degree related to the curriculum.
Reply 6
Subject:
History

Universitys:
Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester Metropolitan, Keele

Date Sent:
Wednesday, 5th October 2011
Reply 7
Subject: English

Unis: Institute of Education, Kings College London, Goldsmiths

Date Sent: 10th October

Goodluck everyone!! :smile:
I;m trying to pay for mine but it just keeps saying error :frown: Hopefully it will start working soon! As mine is good to go now!
Reply 9
Subject: PGCE Primary

Universitys: Edge Hill, Liverpool Hope, University of Manchester, Manchester Met

Date Sent: 10th October :smile:

I finished my application and have now sent the reference request- is it a case of checking back on Apply to see when your reference has been completed, and do you pay after this? My head is mashed, it's all I've thought about for weeks! :redface:

Good luck everyone!!!
Reply 10
Original post by AprilOneil

Universitys: Edge Hill, Liverpool Hope, University of Manchester, Manchester Met

Date Sent: 10th October :smile:

I finished my application and have now sent the reference request- is it a case of checking back on Apply to see when your reference has been completed, and do you pay after this? My head is mashed, it's all I've thought about for weeks! :redface:

Good luck everyone!!!

Yes this seems to be the format this year. Last year if memory serves me well, you just paid and sent it off, no need to wait for the referee to do his or her bit.

I honestly do think GTTR are trying to avoid any liability after they f'ed up big time last year
You can't pay and send it until the referee has provided their reference. After you complete the app and send the email request to them (bear in mind you can no longer edit the form after this point), when they log in to provide it the GTTR will email you telling you this. When it's completed, you'll get another email.

Then just log back in, pay and send :smile:
Easier said than done that pay and send stuff! I kept getting Error 500 for about an hour before it would actually let me send it off! Glad its all done though :smile:

Subject: PGCE History
Universitys: Leeds Trinity, University of York, Hull University
Date Sent: 11th October (although was completed on 5th October... stupid referee!).

Also, those of you who have sent the app off already, how long did it take to process the app? And if this is your second year applying, is the personal ID the same as last year or the one on your new application? Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by masamune1989
Easier said than done that pay and send stuff! I kept getting Error 500 for about an hour before it would actually let me send it off! Glad its all done though :smile:

Subject: PGCE History
Universitys: Leeds Trinity, University of York, Hull University
Date Sent: 11th October (although was completed on 5th October... stupid referee!).

Also, those of you who have sent the app off already, how long did it take to process the app? And if this is your second year applying, is the personal ID the same as last year or the one on your new application? Thanks!

I still cannot get mine to work :frown: I keep egtting that error message too and have been trying since yesterday *pulls hair out*
Reply 14
Subject: PGCE General Primary
Universities: University of Birmingham and Birmingham City University
Date Sent: 15/10/11

Good luck everyone
(edited 12 years ago)
Subject: PGCE Art and Design or Design Technology
Universities: ??? (Probably an English Uni)
Date Sent:

I was curious as to what results people got for their degree. I really want to apply for a PGCE in either art and design or design technology (my degree -Jewellery and Silversmithing- kinda covers both) but I only got a 2:2. Since finishing University I have taken on other courses in textiles and I'm now studying engineering at college. Do you think this could help my case? One of my tutors form Uni has already agreed to write a reference for me if I go ahead. I'm more or less ready to apply, just not sure if my chances are realistic...
Subject: Primary PGCE

Universitys: UWIC (upper primary) and Swansea Met (upper primary)

Date Sent: 11/10/2011

Eek, so excited/nervous!! So hoping I get in, though I know there is a massively huge chance I won't...
Original post by Robbierobrob
Subject: PGCE Art and Design or Design Technology
Universities: ??? (Probably an English Uni)
Date Sent:

I was curious as to what results people got for their degree. I really want to apply for a PGCE in either art and design or design technology (my degree -Jewellery and Silversmithing- kinda covers both) but I only got a 2:2. Since finishing University I have taken on other courses in textiles and I'm now studying engineering at college. Do you think this could help my case? One of my tutors form Uni has already agreed to write a reference for me if I go ahead. I'm more or less ready to apply, just not sure if my chances are realistic...

Check the unis you want to apply to, their websites usually tell you what they want as a degree class. If they dont, ring or email them and tell them what you have and ask if they accept it! The requirment to teach is a 2.2 so you should be ok to apply.
Reply 18
Hey Everyone :smile:

I'm doing...

Universities: Exeter (pgce primary with humanities) and Winchester (general primary)

Date Sent: Hopefully today or tomorrow!

Vicki
Reply 19

Universities: Middlesex and Goldsmiths

Date Sent: Today! 13/10/11

Latest

Trending

Trending