The Student Room Group

Higher Maths or Higher Philosophy???

Hi guys,

I'm 5 weeks in to my IB course. I started doing HL philosophy and SL maths, then I changed after 2 weeks to do SL Philosophy and HL maths.

But maths, evidently, is extremely hard at HL, and wondering if it is necessary to do it at HL. Should change back and make life easy for myself or take the challenge?
Reply 1
I guess a lot of this comes down to the subject you'd be likely to take at uni. For example, if you wanted to study economics then HL maths would be best
Reply 2
Original post by Jh_m
I guess a lot of this comes down to the subject you'd be likely to take at uni. For example, if you wanted to study economics then HL maths would be best

Yes I have seriously considered Economics and find it really interesting, but I fear the HL maths might be above me somewhat. could I not do BA Economics without HL maths?
higher maths will be more useful to you, and it won't be extremely hard although it won't be easy. it's just a matter of practice.
Reply 4
That may be true but, wouldn't it be better to get a 6 or 7 in an easier subject than to scrape a 5 or even 4 in the maths. it would look better for unis, no? and i'm not completely decided on the economics at uni

Quick Reply