The Student Room Group

Mature students - Where do you live when you're not at Uni? Do you live on your own?

I am planning to go to University next year, but I will be a mature student (obviously) and at the moment I still live with my dad at home, but during the holidays at Uni, I will have to come back home again. Do you have your own places when you go to Uni or do you still have to go back to parent's place? I will be 26/27 by the time I graduate, so I feel a little bit pathetic having to go back to live with my dad at that age or during breaks.
Reply 1
If you are living in halls in first year then you may find that you get a flatshare with people you meet in second/third years, and these are often year-round contracts so you'll live there in the holidays too (or you'll have to pay as if you were if you don't).
I live at home anyway - mmm two hour commute to uni each way! - but one of my mature student mates lives in halls and he goes back to his parents in the holidays and he's 29.
As Stacface says, you'll probably end up getting a flatshare for 2nd/3rd year and so you probably won't be going home all that much, probably for christmas and the odd week or two.
Reply 3
I wasn't a particularly mature student (started my undergrad at 21) but I had been living away from home for five years already at that stage. When I went to university, I just lived in the same place for the whole year round... I don't see the big issue - I know some University Halls kick you out over holidays (a bit of a joke considering what they charge) but they are pretty much the only places where you rent somewhere specifically for term time.
Reply 4
I have not lived at home since I was 16. My father died and left me his house and savings so It is just me in the house. I have a four bedroom house and should really let one of the rooms, however I have been living on my own for so long that I could not imagine ever living with anyone else. I find the longer you live on your own the more selfish you get with your own routines and like things your own way. I would personally hate to have to go and live with my mother outside of term time. I really don't know how people can do it. I think it is a real joke that universities only let their rooms for term time, as where do they expect everyone to go? If I did not have my own house I could not imagine anything worse than being forced to live back with my family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending