The Student Room Group

Bristol VetMed Work Experience

Hi

I'm hoping to become a mature student in 2013 and spending this year retaking my GCSE's in Maths and Science as well as working full time. I'm hoping to do an access course next year then get into vet school.

Just wondered if anyone on here has successfully got into Bristol and how much work experience did you do?

Got slightly freaked out yesterday when I found out that Liverpool ask for 10 weeks! I've got lambing sorted for next year, equine and companion vet experience and hoping to get experience at a variety of other animal based businesses (abatoir, bird of prey sanctuary, aquarium). Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice?

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :smile: im at bristol now, I did 1 week lambing, 2 weeks equine vets, 4 weeks plus saturdays at small animal vets, 1 week dairy, 1 week animal sanctuary, 3 weeks kennels, sundays at a city farm (pigs, cows, poultry, goats), and then saturdays at a riding school. I'm not sure how much experience bristol asks for, but I think i did that much because of liverpool asking for 10 weeks. I would say get at least a week at a dairy farm, and some experience with pigs, dogs and cats and a day at an abattoir would be good but i dont think its essential :smile: good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by moon_shine
Hi :smile: im at bristol now, I did 1 week lambing, 2 weeks equine vets, 4 weeks plus saturdays at small animal vets, 1 week dairy, 1 week animal sanctuary, 3 weeks kennels, sundays at a city farm (pigs, cows, poultry, goats), and then saturdays at a riding school. I'm not sure how much experience bristol asks for, but I think i did that much because of liverpool asking for 10 weeks. I would say get at least a week at a dairy farm, and some experience with pigs, dogs and cats and a day at an abattoir would be good but i dont think its essential :smile: good luck!

ok, that made me relax a little bit... I've got 6 years kennels (20 weeks or so when I add it up!), 1 week dairy, 1 week sheep/lambing, 1 week cattery, 2 weeks horses, 3 weeks SA vet.

Next year I've got booked about 2-4 weeks lambing & sheep (depending on schoolwork) and a week LA vets, plus more dairy/horses/SA vets, and I've got tonnes of time to book other little things too :smile:

I'm desperate to go to bristol but don't want to pin my hopes on it :frown:
Reply 3
Bristol like to see a lot of variety rather than spending a lot of time at one or two places. I would try and aim for small and large animal vets or mixed, dairy, lambing, stables, kennels/cattery and then extras are things like zoo, abbatoir, lab.
I had 3 weeks equine/small vet, 1 week small animal vet, 1 week farm vet, 2 weeks lambing, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks sheep and beef farm (lambing), 6 weeks pony trekking stables, 1 week kennels and cattery, 3 days horse dealers yard, 2 days butchers and 1 day cattle market with health inspector.
Bristol also like to see that you also do things outside of school and work experience like sport and playing an instrument.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks guys this is great. I am concerned about trying to fit everything in when I only have 4 weeks holiday and I'm working full time. Hopefully if I use a lot of my holiday and work weekends Bristol will be able to see that I'm serious.

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by moon_shine

Hi Moonshine,

How are you finding the course? Really hoping that I can get into Bristol but won't be applying until next year. The Mature student coordinators have been really helpful so hopefully I'm doing everything I can.

Just wish I'd done this 15 years ago but hey ho!
Reply 6
Original post by Leigh303
ok, that made me relax a little bit... I've got 6 years kennels (20 weeks or so when I add it up!), 1 week dairy, 1 week sheep/lambing, 1 week cattery, 2 weeks horses, 3 weeks SA vet.

Next year I've got booked about 2-4 weeks lambing & sheep (depending on schoolwork) and a week LA vets, plus more dairy/horses/SA vets, and I've got tonnes of time to book other little things too :smile:

I'm desperate to go to bristol but don't want to pin my hopes on it :frown:

thats really good :smile: i think they just want to see that youve gained something from it rather than just turning up haha. but yeah im sure you'll be fine cos that is a lot of experience :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Vicstress
Hi Moonshine,

How are you finding the course? Really hoping that I can get into Bristol but won't be applying until next year. The Mature student coordinators have been really helpful so hopefully I'm doing everything I can.

Just wish I'd done this 15 years ago but hey ho!

hi, so far its been really good but we've only really had intro lectures since bristol starts so late lol :smile: but the vet socials have been really good!
Hi Vicstress, i was in the same boat with working and trying to get work experience. I used up a lot of weekends getting experience too, as well as the 28 days annual leave. Make the most of what you do at work, even if you don't work with animals, try to identify transferable skills that you currently use, such as organisation, time management, communication, customer service, etc. If you don't work with animals, it might be time to look for a job in which you do. I went from admin in the NHS to working for an animal charity. That way, you get experience by just going about your normal working day. You might take a pay cut, but it will be worth it in the end xx will they let you work flexible hours? if so, you could do something like milking in the small wee hours, and then work a working day from say 10 - 6 instead of 9-5 for example.

if you need any advice feel free to PM me.

Also, double check that the unis will accept the access course that you want to do, as not all of them will. Are you limiting your choices by doing access rather than biting the bullet and going to college to do A levels? Yupp, you might have to pay tuition for these, but it means that you can then apply to any of the seven UK vet schools.
I strongly agree with the above poster. I'm also in a similar situation - as a 'mature' non-science grad I was strongly advised not to undertake an access course (which would have made my life SO much easier) and to complete Alevels in Biology and Chemistry instead. There are a handful of places that offer this across the country (though in London unbelievably there are only two, which are very difficult to get into). I have had to go back to school at the grand age of 22 to get my science alevels - hopefully you will have a college closer to you that allows you to complete them ina year. It's great you're making such a big decision - it shows your commitment to veterinary medicine.
Reply 10
im really confused by this, I rang up Bristol and spoke to the admissions officer there to find out what was the best course for me to take. She advised me to do and access to science course and said this would be sufficient to allow me to apply for the 5 year vet science degree rather than the 6 year pre-vet year course and that it would mean I would also be able to apply for the vet schools at other unis? I think I'm going to ring up all the other unis tomorrow to check this out :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Yasmine I was told the same thing by bristol! I'd need to do chemistry and biology GCSE first and I'm thinking that an access course would be the best option for me.......thanks guys
In fairness I only targeted the RVC and Notts as it will be my second degree and I can't afford the other university's fees! I would definitely contact all the vet schools you want to apply to and make sure you won't be disadvantaged by doing an access course when it comes to applications...it's better to know now than once you've completed the course.
Reply 13
I spoke to RVC and Nottingham and both accept the access course and you are at no disadvantage by doing an access course rather than A-Levels, you need at least 15 Lv3 credits in biology and 15 lv3 credits in chemistry and need distinctions in both sciences too in order for the access course to be accepted though. I also rang liverpool and you have to get the access course approved with them before you undertake it, however they do have a course you can take called 'year zero' which is like a pre-vet year but you only need GCSEs and a couple of weeks work experience to get on the course. Once your on the course you will be able to go straight on to the vet science degree at liverpool when you finish it. So Im going to apply for this and apply for the access course as a back up :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by MediterraneanX
In fairness I only targeted the RVC and Notts as it will be my second degree and I can't afford the other university's fees! I would definitely contact all the vet schools you want to apply to and make sure you won't be disadvantaged by doing an access course when it comes to applications...it's better to know now than once you've completed the course.

Yes you're right - but I only want to go to one uni - Bristol!! I will most likely end up on the 6 year if I get a place at all. I haven't studied academically for about 19 years so I know my limitations....really don't think i could hack a level straight off and I'd rather get dist in access than a bad a level grade. Bristol are fine with the access course.

My other half is a med student and will be entering his junior doc phase so we need to be somewhere that the hospital is half decent....couldn't afford to live in London and spent 14 years there so don't want to go back!
Reply 15
Original post by yasmine13
I spoke to RVC and Nottingham and both accept the access course and you are at no disadvantage by doing an access course rather than A-Levels, you need at least 15 Lv3 credits in biology and 15 lv3 credits in chemistry and need distinctions in both sciences too in order for the access course to be accepted though. I also rang liverpool and you have to get the access course approved with them before you undertake it, however they do have a course you can take called 'year zero' which is like a pre-vet year but you only need GCSEs and a couple of weeks work experience to get on the course. Once your on the course you will be able to go straight on to the vet science degree at liverpool when you finish it. So Im going to apply for this and apply for the access course as a back up :smile:

That's interesting Yasmine. Bristol have a year zero but they want you to have taken an access course to get onto the year zero so that seems a bit strange.....sure they (Liverpool) don't expect you to have a levels as well as GCSEs?

What do Liverpool expect on the GCSE front?
If the Liverpool prelim is anything like the Notts prelim then they'd want non-science Alevels too (though unsure what the stance would be as a mature student - I know Notts definitely ask for AAB in non-science alevels). However as mentioned previously I haven't looked into Liverpool so perhaps it is different.

@yasmine13 - I so wish the RVC/Notts had had such a positive attitudes to the access course when I contacted them. Instead of spending one year and a lot less money on an access I've had to go back to school to spend two years doing science Alevels and paying a lot of money for them! Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Reply 17
This is the link to the year 0 course details at Liverpool :http://www.liv.ac.uk/vets/study/carmel.htm. I live in Kent so I really didnt want to go as far away as Liverpool, my first choice is Bristol too but at the end of the day I just want to be a vet so I am applying everywhere regardless of location just so I have the best chance of getting on a degree course.

MediterraneanX : Thats so frustrating for you, I wish they would make it clearer for people as it ends up confusing everyone when they change their minds about entry requirements. Especially as like you say it costs alot more money and a whole extra year!
Reply 18
Is the year 0 course at Liverpool still running? I have searched high and low for it on their website but can't get to it without this link! I would like to apply for all prelim years but thought only RVC, Bristol and Notts do them? Confused! x
Reply 19
yeah i rang them up a couple of days ago and they suggested it to me, I think they are waiting to update it as the dates are for 2011. Im guessing its still running as they wouldnt have recommended it to me otherwise. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending