The Student Room Group

Exercise before or after breakfast?

I've been told that I should eat within 30 mins of extreme exercise ie - weight lifting, so i'm wondering if it's a good idea to do it before breakfast.... but then I thought that i might not have enough energy to perform my best of i do it before breakfast...... Hmmm! :confused:

Could anyone who's more experienced in this field shed some light?

Thnx
W@t3R

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
before if you want to burn fat/carbs ...and then eat quick after =P
if your not interested in removing the carbs and fats from last night...then go ahead and eat before..why not :smile:
Reply 2
Mangaroo
before if you want to burn fat/carbs ...and then eat quick after =P
if your not interested in removing the carbs and fats from last night...then go ahead and eat before..why not :smile:

I'm not skinny, not overweigt, with a tiny bit of a belly, I just want to get toned really....
Reply 3
yeah go for morning exercise just to remove any excess..although it wont really matter (unless you do the same thing regularly)
pre-breakfast exercise is not a great idea really

your glycogen stores are depleted because its a long time since you've fed them, so your muscles won't have glycogen to call on and will have to break down muscle for fuel
Reply 5
Have a light breakfast before.
I have a banana before I go to the gym in the morning, then a big bowl of porridge when I get home.
I lost weight really quickly when I started doing it, I didnt even really feel hungry again till teatime..
Hope this helps :smile:
Some people who have tried it love fasted cardio, some of them hate it. Most people who havent tried it also hate it. In my experience it can be great for fat loss, if kept at a rather low intensity - no sprinting or anything.

But youre talking about weightlifting, so thats quite different. I wouldnt normally want to lift weights for very long without eating beforehand. Try it and see how you feel
Reply 8
To get toned, your going to need more cardiovascular, stamina or small weights with plenty of reps. By doing so you tone the muscles making them bigger, yet not as strong. It is a good idea to eat a bit of complicated carbs/fats before so you can burn them off and use the respired carbs/fats to energy. After your session, eat protein so that your muscles establish and rebuild your newly torn muscles. By doing so your work will pay off and toning will build aslong as a decent diet is maintained.

please rep me... :frown:
Reply 9
ElWilson
To get toned, your going to need more cardiovascular, stamina or small weights with plenty of reps. By doing so you tone the muscles making them bigger, yet not as strong. It is a good idea to eat a bit of complicated carbs/fats before so you can burn them off and use the respired carbs/fats to energy. After your session, eat protein so that your muscles establish and rebuild your newly torn muscles. By doing so your work will pay off and toning will build aslong as a decent diet is maintained.

please rep me... :frown:

I'll rep you, badly, as you've just written a complete load of incorrect *****.
Reply 10
whats wrong with what he wrote?
Reply 11
MagicNMedicine
pre-breakfast exercise is not a great idea really

your glycogen stores are depleted because its a long time since you've fed them, so your muscles won't have glycogen to call on and will have to break down muscle for fuel

Correct.
If you want to do morning workout/cardio you should really chug a protein shake down to prevent your body being too catabolic. This way it's good for fat breakdown.
Reply 12
imasillynarb
I'll rep you, badly, as you've just written a complete load of incorrect *****.

So what the **** is wrong with what I said? It's all true straight from my school P.E teachers.
Reply 13
ElWilson
So what the **** is wrong with what I said? It's all true straight from my school P.E teachers.

AHAHA. Don't listen to P.E teachers, they don't know ****. I think he's referring to 'small weight, and lots of reps to tone'. That doesn't tone your muscles, it just helps with muscle endurance. The ONLY way to tone is to lose BODY FAT. Done by cardio and reducing calorie intake to below maintenance level.
Reply 14
most the stuff said here is complete crap. eat before when weightlifting.
Reply 15
rock_eleven
Some people who have tried it love fasted cardio, some of them hate it. Most people who havent tried it also hate it. In my experience it can be great for fat loss, if kept at a rather low intensity - no sprinting or anything.

But youre talking about weightlifting, so thats quite different. I wouldnt normally want to lift weights for very long without eating beforehand. Try it and see how you feel

Listen to this guy.... he knows his ****. He benches 130kg and deadlifts 250kg.

He's also got 1 ban like me.
Reply 16
JasonN
Listen to this guy.... he knows his ****. He benches 130kg and deadlifts 250kg.

He's also got 1 ban like me.

right.

so its a good idea to 'try it' lifting weights after not eating for lets say 11 hours? would there be much point?
ElWilson

The part that you said about eating protein so your muscles can establish and rebuild newly torn muscles is right. The point about needing some cardio to look toned is right because by toned people normally mean low body fat.
The small weights with plenty of reps won't make your muscles bigger, muscles need proper stimulation to grow which means heavy weights and smaller reps. Even for what people call 'toning'...you are better off going all out with heavy weights and fewer reps to build some muscle growth. People sometimes say that they don't want to 'build mass' because they don't want to end up looking like Arnold Schwarznegger but unless you do years of serious weight training, serious supplement taking and serious calorie loading its not going to happen!

Having said that I have only been researching this for a couple of months so imasillynarb and the other experienced gym fellas feel free to correct me.
I read some where that you must exercise before 10am to get properly 'ripped' because it affects the way your body deals with fat all day. I normally still gym in evenings because its all I can do
Reply 19
LauraWalker
I read some where that you must exercise before 10am to get properly 'ripped' because it affects the way your body deals with fat all day. I normally still gym in evenings because its all I can do

uh where did you read that?

Latest

Trending

Trending