The Student Room Group

Engineering Freshers 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Willheath
What are your AS and predicted grades like?
Where else are u applying to?

Read above post.
And Leeds, Liverpool, Surrey and Sussex (not too sure about Leicester)
Reply 41
Original post by Jeid1
Mechanical (Aerospace)
GCSE:- 9 AS 4 BS
AS CCCD maths physics econ french
PREDICTED:- AAB

Nottingham
Leeds
Surrey
Liverpool
Sussex

Well ure still predicted the grades, but there a bit of a jump from ure AS grades
Reply 42
Well ure still predicted the grades, but there a bit of a jump from ure AS grades

Yeah you're right. But I had some issues during exam periods, and Im pretty much resitting some AS units to bump them up. Do you reckon my options are out of reach and I'll get 5 rejections because of my AS's?
Reply 43
Original post by Jeid1
Yeah you're right. But I had some issues during exam periods, and Im pretty much resitting some AS units to bump them up. Do you reckon my options are out of reach and I'll get 5 rejections because of my AS's?

I think the predictions carry more weight. And going by what u said on another thread about nottingham not looking at them, i think u should be ok.

Also i believe liverpool offer BBB so that offer seems reasonable at least.
Reply 44
I think the predictions carry more weight. And going by what u said on another thread about nottingham not looking at them, i think u should be ok.

Also i believe liverpool offer BBB so that offer seems reasonable at least.

Thanks alot :biggrin: btw what course are you applying for, what unis and what grades u got ??
Reply 45
Original post by Jeid1
Thanks alot :biggrin: btw what course are you applying for, what unis and what grades u got ??

applying for mechanical at

nottingham
newcastle
surrey
cardiff
queens belfast

At GCSE i got 2As and 6Bs
At AS ABCE in maths, further maths, physics and product design

and im predicted AAB
Reply 46
Niceee good luck mate
Reply 47
Original post by Jeid1
Niceee good luck mate

thanks

good luck:smile:
Reply 48
Computer Systems Engnieering

I sent my UCAS application two weeks ago.

Choices:
Bath, Birmingham, Essex, Manchester (conditional offer) and Sheffield.

My grades are somewhat "equal" to ABB.
Reply 49
Mechanical at
Durham (Meng & Beng)
Warwick (Meng & Beng)
Nottingham.
Reply 50
I got 3 As in my AS and am planning on Mechanical engineering for fall 2012. Cept already more than ten people from friends and family have 'advised' me not to go for Mechanical Eng because Im a girl. They think the jobs for Mechanical Eng have more scope for boys. That kinda crap really annoys me. Then some have suggested Id rather not try because even if I get accepted, according to them I wont get the student visa for that specific city because the population of that city has increased. :l
Original post by student14s
I got 3 As in my AS and am planning on Mechanical engineering for fall 2012. Cept already more than ten people from friends and family have 'advised' me not to go for Mechanical Eng because Im a girl. They think the jobs for Mechanical Eng have more scope for boys. That kinda crap really annoys me. Then some have suggested Id rather not try because even if I get accepted, according to them I wont get the student visa for that specific city because the population of that city has increased. :l

That is absolutely not true in any way. Mechanical engineering is as much for girls as it is for boys. Industry considers applications from girls very positively, too. Go for it.
Reply 52
Original post by student14s

yeah that sounds like a load of ****, if you want to do it and you like it, just go for it :smile: , where are you planning on applying?
oh also you are entitled to a visa if you have an offer to study there
Reply 53
Original post by kurovalte
yeah that sounds like a load of ****, if you want to do it and you like it, just go for it :smile: , where are you planning on applying?
oh also you are entitled to a visa if you have an offer to study there

Im going for Canada. Planning for Toronto at the least. Or Ill just be going for some local unis.
Thanks for that tip. Because the visa thing kinda put me off when somebody said that. What if I get accepted and I dont get the visa, it'll just be depressing.

Original post by Smack
That is absolutely not true in any way. Mechanical engineering is as much for girls as it is for boys. Industry considers applications from girls very positively, too. Go for it.
Yeah, Im interested in the design aspect but people think its only maintenance because in most of the Asian countries machines usually get imported. So mostly jobs are for maintenance. And I bet half of the people there think it has something to do with cars and garages. :tongue: :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, guys. :smile:
Applying for electronics and electrical:

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Heriot-Watt
Southampton
Strathclyde

:smile:
Reply 55
out of interest, does anyone know whether UCL are particularly difficult to get into for Mechanical Engineering?

And also 4 of my options are for aerospace/aeronautical whereas one being UCL is mechanical. If my personal statement is concentrated on both mechanical and aerospace will that matter (as surely aerospace is just a stream of mechanical) ?
does computer science/ comp sci with maths count?
Original post by Jeid1
Mechanical (Aerospace)
GCSE:- 9 AS 4 BS
AS CCCD maths physics econ french
PREDICTED:- AAB

Nottingham
Leeds
Surrey
Liverpool
Sussex

the predictions are a bit outrageous. Do you have anything to back them up?

either way, I think you should apply to one insurance choice with req BBC.

good luck,
Dagoth Ur
Original post by House Dagoth
does computer science/ comp sci with maths count?

No. Both computer science and maths have their own sections.
Original post by Smack
No. Both computer science and maths have their own sections.

very well!

i have been exiled from the engineers of TSR :ashamed:

I shall now take my leave

Quick Reply

Latest