The Student Room Group

universities in scotland

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarveyCanis
I admit I have no source, but as I have specified time and time again, I'm being general. And the general view would most likely be that St Andrews is marginally the best. Would you like to rank every university based on every subject? I'll reply back to you when I'm about 90 then.

Yes, actually. Not that I feel that newspaper league tables are of much use to anyone, but subject specific rankings are of much more use than a "general" ranking. Which is completely useless.
Reply 61
Hey, I'm going to study Computer Science and Mathematics next year,

I've applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. I didnt really like Edinburgh that much so atm I'm going to use St Andrews is a Firm and Glasgow as an Insurance. I'm going to visit Edinburgh again soon to make sure I don't like it. But Should I be considering Strathclyde over Glasgow? How good is it for Computer Science? I've heard its great for Maths.
Original post by oo00oo
Glasgow is no longer great. I've seen it go wayyyyyyyyyy downhill in the past 4 years. 2 years ago I would have agreed. Now, just no...

It increased this year. Even ahead of Edinburgh now.
Original post by oo00oo

Original post by GingerGoat

Just ignore him. It took him not one, not two, but three years to get into university, and he'll probably only be there for two years (first year, then resit first year, then get kicked out for failing again). He reminds of me of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Original post by torchwood
x

You're a loser and this will become apparent to you when all us Strathys have jobs and you don't.

:smile:
Is it true that Unis in Scotland are free for people who've lived there longer than 3 years?
Yes.
Original post by Popppppy
You're a loser and this will become apparent to you when all us Strathys have jobs and you don't.

Slightly harsh :tongue:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Slightly harsh :tongue:

I'm protective of my Strathy!
I love love love it so much. :love:

^ You're like John Prescott :love:

I'm kidding, but you could kind of compare Glasgow to the abandoned middle class and Strathy to the expanding working class :smile: as in that it's more of a "people's" uni but has improved a lot.

End of the day, it's right for some people. I could never see myself as a Strathy and if I get 5 offers there's about a 60% chance I could turndown the 2 big city uni's for Heriot-Watt. Can't fault you for Strathy being right for you. If you chose UWS over Glasgow I'd question your sanity, but Strathy is above average for Scottish uni's.
^ You're like John Prescott :love:

I'm kidding, but you could kind of compare Glasgow to the abandoned middle class and Strathy to the expanding working class :smile: as in that it's more of a "people's" uni but has improved a lot.

End of the day, it's right for some people. I could never see myself as a Strathy and if I get 5 offers there's about a 60% chance I could turndown the 2 big city uni's for Heriot-Watt. Can't fault you for Strathy being right for you. If you chose UWS over Glasgow I'd question your sanity, but Strathy is above average for Scottish uni's.

I was dead keen on HW for a while, but the location put me off. My ex is there though. And my uncle went there.

Strathy is miles ahead of Glasgow for my course, and nothing beats learning electronics in the same lecture halls as John Logie Baird did before going on to invent the TV!
I was dead keen on HW for a while, but the location put me off. My ex is there though. And my uncle went there.

Strathy is miles ahead of Glasgow for my course, and nothing beats learning electronics in the same lecture halls as John Logie Baird did before going on to invent the TV!

Location is fine. < 20 minutes from Edinburgh.
Reply 72
Original post by Smack
Just ignore him. It took him not one, not two, but three years to get into university, and he'll probably only be there for two years (first year, then resit first year, then get kicked out for failing again). He reminds of me of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

wtf dont you go to RGU, an EXPOLY?! :lol:

Id like to clarify that I got into uni the first time, it was Warwick to study Chemistry. Im sure we can all agree its one of the best unis in the country, somewhat superior to your beloved RGU wouldnt you say :wink:

I didnt enjoy chemistry so dropped out and went for dentistry at Glasgow, another excellent university and a very competitive course. Seeing as you go to an expoly and a pathetic one at that, you must be very familiar with failing and sucking at life generally.

I have no idea how you even contemplated judging my academic capabilities, perhaps if you looked in the mirror and judged yourself you may actually be at a university rather than at a poor excuse for one. I cant stop laughing! :biggrin:
Reply 73

Yep, dentists are famous for being poor/unemployed :rolleyes:
Reply 74

I wouldn't
Location is fine. < 20 minutes from Edinburgh.

Yea, no I wasn't saying it's bad, just not for me,
I'm from the countryside and wanted a go at being right in the middle of a big city.
Reply 76
Thanks for the quick replies
Well, I'm thinking about going to a Uni in Scotland because I always want to study in England or Australia but Australia is way too expansive and I found out that I dont have to pay for the Uni in Scotland when I'm from the EU.
I might want to study something like business or managment or economics or maybe history.
I will have probably middle good grades so they wont be the best but also not the lowest.
Can someone tell me what University is worth to try to apply.. I'm a little bit nervous that the Universities will reject me because of the grades or becaus I'm not from Scotland .. so where do I have good chances to study? And is it really o expensive in Scotland?
Original post by juleez
Thanks for the quick replies
Well, I'm thinking about going to a Uni in Scotland because I always want to study in England or Australia but Australia is way too expansive and I found out that I dont have to pay for the Uni in Scotland when I'm from the EU.
I might want to study something like business or managment or economics or maybe history.
I will have probably middle good grades so they wont be the best but also not the lowest.
Can someone tell me what University is worth to try to apply.. I'm a little bit nervous that the Universities will reject me because of the grades or becaus I'm not from Scotland .. so where do I have good chances to study? And is it really o expensive in Scotland?

Living costs in Scotland aren't expensive.
Rent will depend on where you study, and what standard of accommodation you want.

It is a lovely country full of some of the nicest people you will ever meet, and unfortunately some knob ends such as "Torchwood".

I don't know much about business/economics/history so I can't really help you with that. I know Strathclyde has a very good business school.

You could study in a big city like Glasgow - new, happening, big, lively or Edinburgh - beautiful historic buildings, Edinburgh castle, the royal mile
Or you could study in a smaller town or the countryside. Scotland is pretty beautiful!

Also you can spend your holidays travelling around the rest of the UK!
Original post by torchwood
I wouldn't

Well that's ok because nobody will ever love you either.
Reply 79
Glasgow :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest